I Need A Big "what To Come" List

Poem58 said:
I too had made a deal with my wife for December which since they were supposed to be done by September shipping in October I felt gave a reasonable amount of wiggle room. Well if none ship by Christmas I will be facing my cutoff point. So here's hoping the first units will indeed ship before Christmas so that I may be able to keep my order. Not sure how much longer I can make excuses to extend the deadline. Especially seeing how many have passed already. Beta software or not, I want this. Have wanted for 9 years (when concept of this happening occurred to me) I'm glad to have found it when it finally happened and to be waiting to get one. I really don't know if I could stand to back out now.
My cut off point is December 23rd and unfortunately it won't make it by then <sigh> :(

Last edited by a moderator:
point is so many people(me including) are making deadlines. But because the news and pictures...the deadline will keep going forever.
i also see the pandora coming closer, but i cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. because the first people in the pandora project thought it was gonna be released december 2008!

If your parents are convinced the device does not exist and you can not change their minds, I would try and make a deal with them. Tell them that if you cancel your order and they do eventually ship your parents will have to buy one on ebay regardless of the cost. If they think that there is a 0% chance of that happening they might be inclined to make the deal. I think there are some speculators who have ordered some for eBay to sell at a premium. Depending where you are in the queue you might actually get it sooner this way. Just an idea.

Unfathomable Depths said:
Hopefully Quasist will be un-banned by then.
He's banned? Why?
He is the soul of the boards. I can't believe it.

Twiitcher said:
Example, have the power supplies been ordered? answer provided... 'they're easy to get, you worry for nothing"...
I'm just sayin....

Twiitcher

kaprikawn said:
What should be some final cases have shipped

^^ Craigix on Twitter about an hour ago. Everything's still moving along nicely, nothing to worry about, hold out just a little longer.

True to form.......

Twiitcher

Borgqueenx, I've bought a GP2X, PSP (Japan import) and DS (Japan import) from the GBAX people in the past and they've given me very good service so you can tell your parents that there are people on these forums who can prove this is a proper, well-run business

MDave said:
Anyone going to wait another whole year? December 2010? :p

I'll wait as long as the Pandora is the only device in its niche. Nothing else has all of the features I want, so it doesn't make sense to buy another gadget instead, and I can always get a refund on my preorder if something equal or better for $330 comes first. That seems unlikely, so I anticipate keeping my preorder until the Pandora ships.

i think in mid 2010 there will be a device that kicks the butt of the pandora.
time will tell.

i can remember someone saying that PC technology evolves on the way that on each 2 years, the power is doubled and the size is halfed.

If thats true, then we could already had a pandora 2^^ since the project is already going since march 2007 or so.

well.....proper at least :p

I had an insert that came with my f200, a life size card printed to look like the Pandora in the open position, text in the screen area gave the specs and promised "coming autumn 2008" or somesuch (this was before they changed the design to TI system on chip, before that it wasn`t so "high end")

Are your parents paying for it then? If so, you should really just be grateful, and if worst case happens and you have to re-order from the second batch then so what? I know kids aren't usually blessed with patience but in this case it really will be worth the wait either way.

i think in mid 2010 there will be a device that kicks the butt of the pandora.

we would be struggling to have a Pandora 2 since we don`t have anything to put in it, new devices will come out in 2010, that's true, but in the current climate all people are making are more of the same, nobody wants to take any risks, so all you will be buying are more phones/tablets like the ones currently out and the newer stuff that started it's design life some years ago and is just coming to market, nothing is due to come to market that is comparable, you are just jaded because the design of the Pandora rapidly shot up to state of the art, it's been at the front for a long time, all the current OMAP devices just coming to market started development about the same time as Pandora, but they are better funded (IE Nokia or Apple have more resources than OP), so they are ahead inn the race, but they still don`t compare to the Pandora.

maybe you should just resign yourself to a batch two device, get a refund and keep the peace at home, eh?, no gadgets worth getting stressed over, once they are available more freely then it will be easier to make your case, especially once they have been around for a while and the amount of applications is on the rise.

There's a few posibilities here.

1. The Pandoras are delivered on something resembling a reasonable schedule.
  2. The Pandoras will arrive ridiculously late. (Possibly before Christmas? Eastern Orthodox Christmas? Or at least MLKjr day?)
  3. The Pandora is a scam. One day in the future the sting will occur and we'll all be made suckers.
  4. OpenPandora goes out of business before the 'two months' are through.

I can't make myself worry about 3. It just doesn't make sense. Besides the fact that, if it were a scam, it would have an incredibly elaborate set-up, why hasn't the sting already occurred? The best time to take our money and run was a year ago! If it is somehow a scam, then they must be setting up some elaborate 'third act' that will net them far more cash than our pre-orders. I can't imagine what the ultimate uber-scam would be, but I figure that it would have to be so complicated and clever that whatever it is I would have so much admiration for the scammers that I'd be happy to let them have my money.

In short, it's not realistic.

If your parents insist on worrying about something, tell them to worry about #4. No one but Craigix can say what the odds of that are, but they've got to be going up.

MDave said:
Anyone going to wait another whole year? December 2010? :p
I'm ready to wait for Pandora indefinitely - where indefinitely mean until similiar or comparable device appear on market - where similiar or comparable mean: * Linux device * 800 x 480 or better touch display * good gaming control and keyboard * at least 1 full powered USB 2.0 host port * 6+ hour operation * wifi * TV, VGA or better out * easy transportable (can be little bigger then pocket form factor) * CPU as capable as Pandora has but doesn't matter if ARM, PPC, x86 or something else.

borgqueenx: I'm with you. As I have 3 children (1.5, 10 and 19 years old) I know what is it "child guidance". As computer enthusiast and professional I know what it is (or will be) Pandora. Oh, and I was child too :) Sometimes is really hard to stay with childish dreams and wishes. I think that it is as hard as stay with parent's orders and expectations ;-)
Try to negotiate to keep preorder up to end of January. I think that if they miss Christmas it will be only by fee days. So I expect January as month of final distribution of last Pandoras.

Example, have the power supplies been ordered? answer provided... 'they're easy to get, you worry for nothing"... not good enough.
I remember thinking the same thing when that came up recently.

Especially since so many of the delays have been caused by things that the team had previously thought were easy and trivial, the fact that they are still this (and presumably other things like it.) for granted is not confidence inspiring.

lol the pandora is my Christmas present this year.

I was in the same situation as you were, but now I'm not.

I just explained to them that I wouldn't be using this just for gaming, and that I could use it for school work and for programming(its much better IMO than a laptop, due to size). Try to tell them that this isn't just another 'game machine', that might hellp them understand.

I also explained the spec's, my dad is an EE, and he started thinking about getting one for himself lol(once he see's how great mine is he will probably order a few...)

Also just tell them what other people have said, that Craid and ED run their own shops, and are fully certified sellers in their countries, and that there is a whole community behind the device already.

It also might help to tell them that if this does fail, it would teach you a good lesson(parents always love to teach their kids good lessons lol...(no offense to any parents out there, this probably doesn't apply to you if your on these boards)).

If they really want you to set a date set it for end of January.

Back