A further update on preorders (18th of November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such tiny cables can do such big trouble, I never expected that. ^^ And then you see all the cheap China handhelds come with a TV cable...somehow every Devices out there seems to have one, except the Pandora. :ph34r: Must be a beast of a cable. :rolleyes:

I recommend to make sure that the Pandora 1 TV Cables also can be used onto a future Pandora 2, so it may be not an big loss, if you have to order more Cables than currently are needed. ;)
Well I think point is most of Chinese device use quite common mini plug and almost pin compatible as well that's why they don't need to make their own cable.

But Pandora use special connector that's why have to make own TV cable, this is different between Chinese one ;)
AFAIK the parts, especialy the Connector for the Cable is ready and already buyed/in storage. But even with this, it seems that no Company want to build the cables.
Right coz. of cost and QTY

Such tiny cables can do such big trouble, I never expected that. ^^ And then you see all the cheap China handhelds come with a TV cable...somehow every Devices out there seems to have one, except the Pandora. :ph34r: Must be a beast of a cable. :rolleyes:

I recommend to make sure that the Pandora 1 TV Cables also can be used onto a future Pandora 2, so it may be not an big loss, if you have to order more Cables than currently are needed. ;)
Well I think point is most of Chinese device use quite common mini plug and almost pin compatible as well that's why they don't need to make their own cable.

But Pandora use special connector that's why have to make own TV cable, this is different between Chinese one ;)
AFAIK the parts, especialy the Connector for the Cable is ready and already buyed/in storage. But even with this, it seems that no Company want to build the cables.
I think palstyo is correct here for the most part. I don't really know for sure as I have not seen a pandora or TV cable (we all know this story). But if the design used a standard connector and pin out for this function, cables could readily be purchased. I don't really believe that no Company wants to build the cables as an unqualified statement, but maybe not at a price the Ed and Craig are willing to pay (or us at what the end product would cost). If you want a company to build small lots of cable, there is often NRE and tooling charges for setup. Common cables already have the tooling in place and the process worked out for reliable product. If this is just hand assembly, the price will be higher and likely lower quality in the long run. But low quantities will cost quite a bit more for the added logistics. Costs go down with volume.

On another topic. I understand how upgrades and new sales help clear the pre-order queue assuming it is run as I conceive it. My question to Ed and Craig: If a pre-order is not willing or able to upgrade, is it better for your companies to provide a refund or product. Please note I have not put dates on this question that infer refund now or product in a year. Just in general which is better for your companies without date assumptions. From reading some other posting in other older threads it looked like the refund was more desirable as the units cost more to manufacture.

I don't really believe that no Company wants to build the cables as an unqualified statement, but maybe not at a price the Ed and Craig are willing to pay (or us at what the end product would cost).

No one ever said that.

As mentioned, Chinese companies want a MOQ of 10,000... and what would we need 10,000 cables for?

And manual low quantities production was at 40 EUR per cable. Not really useful, as no one would buy it for that price and we got hundreds of already paid orders for a way lower price.

That's why we had to look into different ways how to reduce costs and we finally found a company that can do it for a good price.

So ED whats the status on the recently built units, have any been shipped to CraigX yet or are they still being tested / assembled?

25 will ship tomorrow.

I received a small payment. The 20K are still open, but I agreed to ship him more in case he pays upfront. He can use these for remaining 1GHz shipments and new sales to generate more money, so that he'll eventually be able to pay these 20K and the refunds he has.

First of all thanks ED always.

It's sound much much better than nothing.

But I think approx 100 units are still remaining so can he resolve rest of 1GHz queue within next 2 weeks?

Well hopefully he will. :mellow:

I see that a few people asked what is happening about refunds and that these questions were ignored, I for one am also interested in this question being answered after being ignored by E-mail, PM and forum posts on this subject.

I only asked for a refund after being ignored about requesting details of my early upgrade for months. People are more patient when they know what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
25 will ship tomorrow.

I received a small payment. The 20K are still open, but I agreed to ship him more in case he pays upfront. He can use these for remaining 1GHz shipments and new sales to generate more money, so that he'll eventually be able to pay these 20K and the refunds he has.
BTW Did you get any spare parts order from Craig also?

Coz. I did ask him when I preordered 1GHz and I got answer from him you agree to send that's why I order battery and ext connector as well.

Looks not as I still not received any emails from you or EvilDragon and I'm a first batch preorder.

Any hint ?

I see that a few people asked what is happening about refunds and that these questions were ignored, I for one am also interested in this question being answered after being ignored by E-mail, PM and forum posts on this subject.

I only asked for a refund after being ignored about requesting details of my early upgrade for months. People are more patient when they know what is going on.

I have to agree on the refund information. I have not even got an acknowledgement on receiving the refund request. I did get a quick response to a PM where I stated that I did not see a reason to upgrade ... but the response was that it did not matter which shop I upgraded through.

I wonder, is there information as to how may people are in the refund queue? Actually I don't know if any of these are really queues, stacks or hashes. Likely none of the above.

Looks not as I still not received any emails from you or EvilDragon and I'm a first batch preorder.

Any hint ?
I think if you order to UK you should get email from him I guess.

Mail from Jacquelyn means you are in Craig's queue, in that case you might need contact to him regarding about this if you interesting about upgrade.

I have to agree on the refund information. I have not even got an acknowledgement on receiving the refund request. I did get a quick response to a PM where I stated that I did not see a reason to upgrade ... but the response was that it did not matter which shop I upgraded through.

I wonder, is there information as to how may people are in the refund queue? Actually I don't know if any of these are really queues, stacks or hashes. Likely none of the above.
Well, I know that this is not the kind of answer you want to hear, but I'm afraid what Craig said two pages ago is the only answer you'll get at the moment:

Once we have completed these upgrades then we will be moving on to refunds and new orders.

At that point we will give a general status update.

yeah, but I don't know for sure he's read any of the requests. That is part of my point. If he'd say it will be 6 months and stick to it, I'd be on my happy way. I thought at one point that I'd take a couple proper Ales at the pub next time I was in the UK but I won't be in his end of the UK. But never got to offering the Ale option as he just told me how to upgrade after I said I saw no reason.

I don't need the refund to buy prezzies this year. I'm just asking for an acknowledgement and a good faith estimate of when.

This is why upgrades are the best way to get a unit and clear the queue.

Yeah, that worked so well for us 1GHz customers...

OPL needs to be liquidated.

In which case we all lose our money and get nothing to show for it. Except for the people who lucked out and already received their units. There was always risk involved, I knew when I signed up during the initial sale that it was possible for things to go wrong.

Calling for them to be liquidated serves no purpose other than starting a pointless flamewar. I do kind of think that CC should be picking up a lot of the tab and giving money to those of us who are out money as a result of their incompetence, but I doubt that will happen.

This is why upgrades are the best way to get a unit and clear the queue.

Yeah, that worked so well for us 1GHz customers...

OPL needs to be liquidated.

In which case we all lose our money and get nothing to show for it. Except for the people who lucked out and already received their units. There was always risk involved, I knew when I signed up during the initial sale that it was possible for things to go wrong.

Calling for them to be liquidated serves no purpose other than starting a pointless flamewar. I do kind of think that CC should be picking up a lot of the tab and giving money to those of us who are out money as a result of their incompetence, but I doubt that will happen.
I did not know the level of risk when I ordered as I asked about the funding. I was told the financing was in place and the expected release date was at the end of October/November. I ordered on Oct 6th. Well, maybe I had some idea that everything was not smooth throughout the process.

I agree liquidating OPL would leave many with more than paper losses.

As for CC? I hear them accused, but without knowing the issues, contracts, and other circumstances around the events, it is difficult to know. Dealing with a CM and having a design optimized for production can be quite involved. I'm not defending CC, I just don't have any information to form an opinion.

But if one wanted to stir the pot (just for fun), instead of liquidating OPL, all the people who are due pre-orders, refunds or other order could just forgive OPL the obligation and would really support the project.

Each person needs to decide what they want to do. Whipping Craig is not really productive. refund, wait, upgrade .. choose!

or donate to ED's queue clearing fund! A number of preorders have been sent out for all queues using these donations.
yes, that is an option I omitted. Sorry. And if you donate enough, then you should just upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back