Release 1Ghz boards. Fancy one?

The cost of the pandora is important - I'm not a huge fan of calling people idiots... but I feel the urge to educate some of the people in this thread and hopefully help they make an informed decision in the future.

There is a economic practice called up-sell. The iPhone, the Kindle, even your Nintendo 3DS costs much more to produce and ship than the price on the ticket. Amazon sells their device for cheap, because it TRAPS people into using their products which will earn them a return on their investment over time.

The Pandora is not the kindle. It's not attached to a bunch of appstores, affiliate marketing schemes and other services trying to pimp you. The cost of the Pandora is the cost. You pay for R&D, final production, shipping and management..... and at the end of the day, you have a product you own completely with minimum limitations....... to do whatever you want without needing to jailbreak

http://www.npr.org/b...ery-kindle-fire

also, regardless of cost. The new CPU is progress - Progress is enabling and good... time for an out of context quote by MLK jr

All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a lot of emails today, we will answer them all by tomorrow, but to answer a few things now:

You don't have to send your unit for the upgrade until we have your new board ready.

If your old unit is pretty bashed up we will send you a totally new one (a direct swap).

Upgrading your old order is possible, just pay the difference.

A little on the future costs of the 1Ghz+ units:

Making these is very expensive, OP has huge debts to investors (300,000E I believe), to customers (hundreds of units) and to me and Ed (something like £150,000).

Those are the costs involved in making these machines in small numbers, it's, as far as I know, a totally unique situation, there is no other

small manufacturer making anything like the Pandora.

The price has to come up from $500 at some point, we make nothing after the device is sold and you don't have to spend anything more

on software.

It's likely the final price for the 1Ghz units will be at least $600, it has to be for there to be any future in the Pandora line.

I should mention once more that whenever other companies have made tiny computers like the Pandora they are often way over $1000 in price.

I think this CPU upgrade may be significant enough to get another one. Very expensive, yes, but a 50% increase in performance may be worth it.
Is there really +50%?? My pandora does 800MHz easily. That's +25% only.

[..]these were quoted price for each piece to replace)

$50 - replacement screen (lcd cable?)

Did you read the thread? This is a small run of ~150 boards. It's very expensive.
Thanks for the calculation Android. LCD cable is extra.

I still can't imagine what is that extra expensive. Do the first 150 units have to pay for the machine setup alone? I'm too tired to do a search, are the 1GHz units still using the Rev 6D Board? If yes, then the machine setup was nearly complete 'cause the layout is the same. Edit: You confirmed later in this thread that it's the same PCB, so it must be Rev 6D.

Did you read his and my answer? We are not complaining about the price of $700 for a new unit, it's the $1000 for every new pandora owner.

I got 2 different batteries, we troubleshot this, we saw it was actually draining 150mW more than most units under same conditions

was a faulty wifi unit to begin with so I am lead to believe faulty hardware
High battery drain wasn't part of that contract? Then it's a manufaction error and a part of warranty in my opinion.

I want one of these in a bad way. I've got a paid for batch 2 order with ED from July 2010, anything we can do about that?
If you haven't received your Pandora yet, cancel your order at ED and buy from Craig. It will save you $300 and cost you $700.

With or without postage? With or without VAT? I don't know. You won't care badly.

I think the problem most people have with the current price for the pandora is that they aren't rationalizing it correctly.

EDIT

I know there are a few videos actually demonstrating the pandora but I had something a little more done up and professional in mind.
You won't call EDs one video a day unprofessional. Did you check EDs offical youtube channel? It's a good overview what the pandora can do. The most people here from gp32x.de and gp2x.de and grown up with the pandora for years, they know the price of the pandora between the first preorders and the premium orders, they know the history of the inital production desaster, they understand the running gag 'two months' and they know why $499 for an actual 512MB pandora is a must have.

It needs to be clear that for now these are a custom modification to see if a) the market exists for them
Your pricing is without logical basics. An upgaded 1GHz Pandora of a rebirth Pandora will cost $1000 (btw. +VAT?) at all (rebirth pandora + upgrade), without old pandora $700, so the difference from rebirth to 1GHz is $200. That would be an upgrade price i could think about. And i'm pandora investor, which means logically i do harm my investment by this statement. But there should be some kind of understandable pricing concept. It looks like you don't want to sell to previous pandora owners, your testing would be done by unexperienced new pandora users then - which could not do a comparision between the old and new units.

The pricing is on a very logical basis - a small run of boards like this is very expensive. This isn't a retail offer, it's an offer simply for people who want to upgrade now and get their hands on the latest tech on more of a hacker basis.

What are you suggesting we do? Sell them at a loss? $699 or even $649 is the only reasonable, profit making cost we could sell the 1Ghz unit at.
I don't have a problem with the $700 units. As you noticed at Androids post we have a problem with the $1000 for upgraders.

I already sent a PM to ED a while ago but got no answer. I still have a pending 1. Batch preorder from Oct. 09 at EDs shop. Can I upgrade this order (paying) to a 1Ghz board?
No. At the moment craig, so openpandora ltd., is the only one who offer this units. You have to cancel your order and buy from craig. This would mean all warranty issues have to go via craig too.

If it's an upgrade, and it's a full board replacement with you keeping the old board, then you can effectively make an additional Pandora unit for sale for realtively cheap (cost of the screen, case etc.). You could use that additional unit sale to offset against the new board.

That's what we're doing. But you have to consider the board may need repairs or simply be uneconomical to use. So far 5 people with on-their-last-legs units have requested the new board, so their unit will most likely only be useful for us to evaluate how they deteriorate over time.

Replacing nubs, SD slots, power switches, microphones etc. is time consuming costly work.
Are you telling us that the pandora is useless scrap after 3.5 years of usage? You don't want to make 5 hand repairs responsible for the difference of $300 each for 150 units. If it's too much work to refurbish then just sell them at lower price as used units after you took your profit of deterioation analysis. Ah, sorry, i forgot what everyone who can do the math wouldn't send you it's old pandora and sell it by itself to save $300 and reduce the $700 down to $300-400. This would keep away the handling of 150 used units and saves a lot of expensive employee work. Finally i had to excuse, a very good idea.

Is it going to be possible to upgrade like this, say, next year?
If they are a success, yes.
If they are no success, yes too. Even if nobody wants the 1GHz Pandoras they must replace the actual version if it's sold out, because the old CPU isn't longer available.

I should mention once more that whenever other companies have made tiny computers like the Pandora they are often way over $1000 in price.
Which one for example?

when first pandora planning started, wasnt the omap 3530 quite up to date, and maybe even ahead of its time? how old is this DM3730? would make more sense to me and just try for something like A15 testing

Why charge $150 to $200 more to get this DM3730 unit? DM3730 can be purchased for under $50 even in quantities in the tens. For instance: http://www.digikey.c...32-5-ND/2596836 Even if you are entirely eating the cost of the OMAP3530 it's replacing there is no reason that these units should cost more than $50 over the baseline price.

when first pandora planning started' date=' wasnt the omap 3530 quite up to date, and maybe even ahead of its time? how old is this DM3730? would make more sense to me and just try for something like A15 testing[/quote']

DM3730 and OMAP3630 (which is similar) first started showing up in devices about two years ago.

There is however no Cortex-A15 SoC available, and on the off chance that OPT could get engineering samples ahead of production they probably wouldn't be allowed to release them in sold products (nor would they get any kind of volume for that). The first time around TI was giving OPT a special deal in offering them OMAP35xx before it was available in low volume, but not as special as you may think since they did end up selling it this way shortly thereafter and other low volume devices ended up with it. Contrast it with OMAP4 which didn't get a low volume version despite being in processors for over a year, and afaik there isn't a DaVinci counterpart. Most higher end SoC companies aren't selling cutting edge products in Pandora-like volumes.

At any rate, DM3730 is a drop-in replacement and kind of a no brainer, anything else would require a board redesign and most likely a lot of part changes and would take a lot of time and money.

I have sent an e-mail to upgrade craig.I have an old pandora preorder with you.I can upgrade this and just pay the difference for the improved 1Ghz silver cased unit right? This can't come soon enough Im physched.

This finally got me on the upgrade my old older train too. Email sent. I want the shiny new upgraded pandora too.

Any idea how long the new board run will take to produce? 2-4 weeks ish?

At any rate, DM3730 is a drop-in replacement and kind of a no brainer, anything else would require a board redesign and most likely a lot of part changes and would take a lot of time and money.

that's the reason the "at least 600$" when DM 3730 will be mainstream (and not rare prototype and the 3530 are still sold) from craigX bugs me since it seems to be a dropin replacement and the processor cost is comparable to what the 3530 was in its time...

I think this CPU upgrade may be significant enough to get another one. Very expensive, yes, but a 50% increase in performance may be worth it.
Is there really +50%?? My pandora does 800MHz easily. That's +25% only.

The DM3730 is improved in many areas, not just the CPU speed, and it also overclocks, so although your current Pandora may run at 800Mhz, a DM 3730 may run at 1.3Ghz and so on. Have you actually looked at the differences between the chips?

As for the rest of your post, which seems to be 'it's too expensive', I've addressed that several times.

It's a test run, it's expensive. We need to make profits, not just break even or make a loss.

As for examples of expensive tiny computers, there are numerous ones from over the years, see: Sony UX390N (and other models), various ones from Sharp and Panasonic too. None had gaming controls. Many are posted on these forums.

I really don't think it's too much to ask for Pandora users to consider paying $600 every 3-5 years for something new. It's quite standard and reasonably cheap for the industry.

I can't see how we could survive without that.

I think the thing that's jarring with many people is the stream of minor upgrades to essentially the same product.

1. Production quality
  2. RAM
  3. case
  4. paintwork
  5. CPU speed

Some people might be happier if the improvements above were released all at once. Having said that, I can't see a problem with improving on a product, or charging people extra for the improved version

This is the tech industry and I don't think we're behaving any differently to anyone else by constantly trying to improve the Pandora.

We're not abandoning old models, the same software still works, we supply spare parts and support to all customers.

Neither I or Ed take a wage at the moment. It would be nice for us to make enough to actually get paid, or how can this project seriously go on after the old orders are all shipped?

As for the rest of your post, which seems to be 'it's too expensive', I've addressed that several times.

It's a test run, it's expensive. We need to make profits, not just break even or make a loss.

I think the question double7 (and others) are having is:

Why is it cheaper* to just buy a complete 1GHz Pandora than trading the old one in ?

* Given the calculation: 699$ < (499$ (for a recently already purchased Pandora) + 500$ (for the 1 GHz upgrade))

Why charge $150 to $200 more to get this DM3730 unit? DM3730 can be purchased for under $50 even in quantities in the tens. For instance: http://www.digikey.c...32-5-ND/2596836 Even if you are entirely eating the cost of the OMAP3530 it's replacing there is no reason that these units should cost more than $50 over the baseline price.

What you say makes logical sense but it does not make business sense.

OP GmbH / Ltd need to sell Pandoras, if the DM3730 model was available for only a little more than the OMAP3530 model then who would want to buy the OMAP3530 version of the Pandora?

If the DM3730 model was under mass production rather than the prototype / testing phase then there may be a logical case for binning / selling the OMAP3530 chips and charging a smaller premium that covered the cost of the binned / sold chips. However from my understanding we are probably more than 2 months away from seeing the DM3730 in mass production.

@ Craig :

1) Do the costs quoted on the original post include VAT?

2) What warranty will be offered for the DM3730 Pandoras?

VAT will be added if you're in the EU.

The warranty will be full, with detailed attention to each customer. We want to make sure these are going to work and work well. I'm eager to collect statistics and videos of the performance increase. We need to know the new case is solid and better than the old one.

PS, you're quite right with the rest.

Hadn't thought about the VAT issue, that'd push the price up to around 690 euro for me, and that's not including shipping! I had myself almost convinced to buy once up to that point...

Why is it cheaper* to just buy a complete 1GHz Pandora than trading the old one in ?

* Given the calculation: 699$ < (499$ (for a recently already purchased Pandora) + 500$ (for the 1 GHz upgrade))

Well you don't have to do this. It's just a test run.

Some people wanted the option to do this, and it's there. I'm sorry but we can't run this at a loss. The price will come down somewhat if we go to MP.

I send an email, i am interested in an upgrade. I have not received my original order yet, so i take it that the VAT and shipping already paid will be deducted from the final payment?

I think they just don't want to estimate the value of an old Pandora on their own - there is a chance for an expensive mistake (if it has hidden defects). Anyone who thinks their Pandora is worth much more than the price difference can sell it and buy the new one for $700. Everyone will be happy :)

I found the DM3730 for less than 40 EUR (not sure if it's right version though), and they can sell just one piece. Also there is a company in the same building where I work, that replaces BGA chips professionally for another 50 EUR. I wonder if that would work... A bit too risky for the moment, as my new Pandora has not even been sent to me yet :) .

I send an email, i am interested in an upgrade. I have not received my original order yet, so i take it that the VAT and shipping already paid will be deducted from the final payment?

Yes, we will work it out for you and make sure it's right.

We have quite a few emails already for this, we're answering them now.

The interest in just the last ~18 hours is enough for me to know this is a go, the 1Ghz custom run shall be arranged to go ahead asap!

Yes, we will work it out for you and make sure it's right.

We have quite a few emails already for this, we're answering them now.

The interest in just the last ~18 hours is enough for me to know this is a go, the 1Ghz custom run shall be arranged to go ahead asap!

Tnx :) , i am glad i can support the project this way.

Il be looking forward to it, ofcourse i understand the difficulties of a project like this, hopefully it will be a hole in one this time :)

Back