Release 1Ghz boards. Fancy one?

Yeah, we now know why there's so much delays.

I also PM'd. May be interesting to test.

Just a question not related to this action , higher price for higher spec will the old one still sell is fine I think (through 500$ seem quite a lot for that upgrade)... but when the DM3730 will become mainstream cause the 3530 will not be produced anymore you mention price will go up, how do you justfy this? the price is basically the same for both processor or am I mistaken? there is not a (649/699-500) 150-200$ difference between the hardware at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
On a somehow related topic: Is there any point in sight from which on the price of the pandora will fall again?

I know some people who really like the concept and all, but the current price is just too high for someone who isn't, well, you know, "hardcore fan/user/w.e." or in a higher financial situation.

On a somehow related topic: Is there any point in sight from which on the price of the pandora will fall again?

I know some people who really like the concept and all, but the current price is just too high for someone who isn't, well, you know, "hardcore fan/user/w.e." or in a higher financial situation.

Well, the USD / EUR conversion is currently changing a lot, meaning that US customers can get it much cheaper already than 2 months before.

I'll try to lower the price, but this will mostly not be possible until all the old preorders have been delivered, as we somehow need to earn the 300K EUR damage back that CC caused us :(

I'm glad this subject came up as promised from the support thread about replacement boards... My pandora is a wifi-less board with a severe power drain (less than 24 hours even with the new suspend etc) But this price... $500 for a replacement board.... plus I have to send my broken board back??? jesus man...

ok follow me on this one

if it originally costs $330 to make a pandora before the $500 markup (close to at cost from original info when the project started)

I've pieced together what it costs to replace a Pandora piece by piece from gathered info and sites (this may be at cost or marked up, but these were quoted price for each piece to replace)

$50 - replacement screen (lcd cable?)

$30 - case

$5 - keymat

$14 - power supply

$5 - stylus

$23 - battery

= $127 total

the board (original without markup) would at that point need to be about $200

I wanted something to fix my severe power drain issue on my broken wifi unit...

I could accept $200 for a 256mb (CC) board, $375 for a (GC) board... that is kinda what I was expecting to pay

If I send a mostly functional (CC) board back, that's a potential $200 credit to openpandora as they can resell the board in a device such as the one I bought a couple weeks ago for $330 ($130 marked up parts + $200 board) I would be paying $500 with a $200 potential loss from the board... all said and done, I'm out a potential $700 for a replacement board, I'm sorry... that's ridiculous.

Craig... I really wanted to support this project, I really want things to work for you guys... but in the end, I just want a fully functional device, but I just can't afford to those kinda prices. Love is not enough at this point, I need to be rich as well. I will try and hold out till the cost for these boards comes down drastically, but from the theme here the price is increasing exponentially and not coming down in any way over time, which is the opposite of what the rest of tech world historically has done.

well, thanks for coming through on your promise on providing pricing and terms on the replacement boards...

I have a first first-batcher with rubber plugs over the LCD bezel screws, and a second first-batcher with black LCD bezel screws. I wanted to support the Rebirth project but wasn't too excited about just a memory upgrade.

Though I will not part with any of my current Pandoras. I think this CPU upgrade may be significant enough to get another one. Very expensive, yes, but a 50% increase in performance may be worth it. Currently most gaming is no problem on the Pandora. I want a faster Pandora for web browsing.

@Craigix / EvilDragon

When will these be ready?

Android theses kinds of price list leads nowere, there's lot of hiddent cost not taken in acount and everything, sorry if my question was not clear but I was just wondering if they were still at loss selling pandora 500$

I'm glad this subject came up as promised from the support thread about replacement boards... My pandora is a wifi-less board with a severe power drain (less than 24 hours even with the new suspend etc) But this price... $500 for a replacement board.... plus I have to send my broken board back??? jesus man...

ok follow me on this one

if it originally costs $330 to make a pandora before the $500 markup (close to at cost from original info when the project started)

I've pieced together what it costs to replace a Pandora piece by piece from gathered info and sites (this may be at cost or marked up, but these were quoted price for each piece to replace)

$50 - replacement screen (lcd cable?)

$30 - case

$5 - keymat

$14 - power supply

$5 - stylus

$23 - battery

= $127 total

the board (original without markup) would at that point need to be about $200

I wanted something to fix my severe power drain issue on my broken wifi unit...

I could accept $200 for a 256mb (CC) board, $375 for a (GC) board... that is kinda what I was expecting to pay

If I send a mostly functional (CC) board back, that's a potential $200 credit to openpandora as they can resell the board in a device such as the one I bought a couple weeks ago for $330 ($130 marked up parts + $200 board) I would be paying $500 with a $200 potential loss from the board... all said and done, I'm out a potential $700 for a replacement board, I'm sorry... that's ridiculous.

Craig... I really wanted to support this project, I really want things to work for you guys... but in the end, I just want a fully functional device, but I just can't afford to those kinda prices. Love is not enough at this point, I need to be rich as well. I will try and hold out till the cost for these boards comes down drastically, but from the theme here the price is increasing exponentially and not coming down in any way over time, which is the opposite of what the rest of tech world historically has done.

well, thanks for coming through on your promise on providing pricing and terms on the replacement boards...

Did you read the thread? This is a small run of ~150 boards. It's very expensive.

You can buy, right now, a fully functional GC normal Pandora board for FAR less than $500.

I've got some fully working CC boards you can buy for $200 (less than cost).

I did read this thread... how much for a GC board? that's what I asked about in that thread you responded to, you said more info to follow at the end of the month.

Is this not that info?

EDIT: I see that edit, thanks, I'll be in touch

I wonder if the 'severe power drain' could instead be a faulty battery. I think I remember reading elsewhere on the boards of a command line tool that outputs the current power usage. Maybe someone can jump in and describe how you can do this.

I got 2 different batteries, we troubleshot this, we saw it was actually draining 150mW more than most units under same conditions

was a faulty wifi unit to begin with so I am lead to believe faulty hardware

I think there is some confusion over the ultimate price of these 1GHz pandora units now for the 150 unit test run compared to the price if there ended up being a full scale run. Obviously the test run needs to be higher priced which is fine, but I think people are worried that if these become the full scale mass produced units and they stay in the greater than $500 range that they will be priced out or simply unable to justify the price. I am not sure what exactly is involved beyond buying the new chip which may be more expensive or what would be different from the current run, if both mass produced, to cause the higher price. After everything you guys have been through I don't think anyone would judge you too harshly for just saying "you know what, we are gonna put out a new Pandora and its gonna be more expensive and we need to make a load of money to pay off debts and who knows maybe make a good profit from it all". I think its important to be open about that if it is the case rather than just carrying on as normal.

Not that I am saying thats whats happening.

tl;dl so long as the mass produced price isnt as high as the 150 test units, then I feel pretty positive about it all

This is tempting, but I can't affort it :(
What you call tempting is what I would call "pissing" myself.

There have been countless of thread where opt told us that they would never split the community.

Then there was these 512M pandora and now these 1Ghz pandora.

I feel like I'm left with an old tech gadget after supporting this community for years now :(

Greetings!

I want one of these in a bad way. I've got a paid for batch 2 order with ED from July 2010, anything we can do about that?

There have been countless of thread where opt told us that they would never split the community.

Then there was these 512M pandora and now these 1Ghz pandora.

I feel like I'm left with an old tech gadget after supporting this community for years now :(

Well if things had gone as planned they probably would have been able to still buy the older parts at the time, but since things dragged on the parts have been updated. I just take it as the way things go with tech, anytime you get something soon there will be something better. Its a never ending rat race.

I really wonder if theres going to be 150 people with money to go this route, I have the feeling a couple lunatics :)-P) will get them and the rest will have to slowly be marked down as the parts closer to becoming mainstream. I really think these boards should be sold under cost for the risk that dont work. The cost of these boards should be considered development cost to continue to sell pandoras down the road. I would also have expected this cost would have been supplied via the investors capital.

I think the problem most people have with the current price for the pandora is that they aren't rationalizing it correctly. I'm talking typical rationalizations, for instance craig mentioned earlier that there are smartphones and tablets that cost the same if not more than the pandora. THE problem is that, while the pandora can and does compete with the products on many levels, t is ultimately both associated and shaped like a handheld gaming console. To an extent it is, but it is more accurate to say it is a computer with game console tendencies. The pandora is the only handheld computer I have been able to find like it and it ultimately fills all my computing needs (save for high powered media production, but even then it has some nice tools). When before I would jailbreak or hack my ipod/android phone to try to use them as mobile computers, which always failed because they lack power and battery life.

When you compare the pandora to small touch devices (in terms of size/versatility/power/etc) it outshines them in pretty much every way except, perhaps, accessibility (Something I hope I and other members of the community can help bridge the gap for). But when you start leaving the price range of smartphones/tablets you start having to compare the pandora to laptops. For 300 the pandora is basically a steal. I would pay that much for a netbook and get alot less. $500? It's not a terrible price but if it was higher than that when I bought mine a few weeks back I might have held off. Higher than that and it NEEDS the kind of upgrades that we are talking about here, but too much more, like 700, then you need even more to justify it. Now, the current upgrade price is the exception since this is essentialy betatesting and therefore a small batch. I can understand where alot of people might be uninterested in the pandora as a gaming console at these prices but as a handheld computer I maintain that its reasonable. That's just me.

That's why I think there should be a forum-wide poll asking the community if they would be willing to pay the price to upgrade their pandoras or to buy a new upgraded one (the marked down price after a commitment to mass produce) to get some numbers. Would probably need to leave the poll up for a while to get real numbers, but yea.

A problem I've noticed for a while is that the marketing for the pandora is largely word of mouth, so to speak. It certainly was for me. Why, out of the entire community, hasn't anyone submitted a video of some kind to the OP team for approval for viral publicity of some kind? wouldn't a legit "commercial" or demo of some kind be beneficial to the sales? And then we could manipulate how outsiders view the pandora and accent its user specific qualities. I would be interested in contributing to that kind of project. Off topic,I know, but that's my two cents.

EDIT

I know there are a few videos actually demonstrating the pandora but I had something a little more done up and professional in mind. Not to condescend or anything.

Upgrades over time are expected; progress!

If theres new 1ghz machines, the dm-cpu models, thats just progress; some new hardware options open up, great!

The only problem is when you have some people with units for years, other people just getting their preorders now.

Now, most of that is all given and water under the bridge and see drama for the aslt few years in other threads; some preorders will get 512MB units, but look at it like this -- people who got their preorders long ago got the unit they paid for; peopel just getting preorders now will get a 'bonus' 512MB for their extra long wait. Its goofy maybe, but it works out okay.. and the extra RAM is not 'game breaking' difference in units. Most apps do not use that much RAM anyway, so it hgets you more multitaskg options, easier to swallow memory reservation for video decoding, and does make some apps better (Firefox, for example.)

The 1ghz model is a 'whole next step' (the Pandora 1.5, or Pandora 2, and other names) .. so thats okay, thats progress.

Theres lots of things to be happy or mad about, but this is not one of them I think :)

I'm not going to talk about pricing, I dont' get enough sleep to think straight about it :)

jeff

Back