100% success! (2011-12-24)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I know I am two days too late - but I am pretty sure a lot of you actually followed the older thread as well, with all the thrill and suspense we had!

I am very happy to tell you that the Pandora prototype production run was a full success!

After the issues we had on the first day, we had a nearly-smooth test run on the second day.

The result: 13 out of 13 Pandoras we built are 100% working!

(our goal was to get at least one of them fully working... so I guess that's a good rate :) )

I've tested the PCBs for the last few days and they all work fine.

The WiFi and BT LEDs (we got more orange ones now, as the old ones looked red) are a bit too bright, but that's just some resistor that needs to be changed.

Mass production run is planned to happen early February, so we should see quite a lot of Pandoras being delivered in February! :)

The assembly machine Global Components uses can populate 15,000 parts per hour, and the Pandora PCB has about 500 parts.

Therefore, 30 Pandoras per hour can be produced.

Now, remember when I said I've got a little surprise for you?

Here you go: The Pandoras made here will have 512MB of RAM, twice as much as before.

I know that some of you (who already have one) might be disappointed and angry - but we couldn't do much. The old RAM is just not available anymore, so we had to upgrade.

If you're mostly playing games, then the additional RAM most probably won't affect you - it's mostly only helpful if you use the Pandora as Mini-Desktop PC.

However, I am also planning of an upgrade program: If you already own a Pandora, you can get a new PCB for an upgrade price (and either keep or swap your case as well).

The old boards will be sold as second hand units for a cheaper price. I've not worked out the details yet, but these are the basics of what I'm planning.

Here is a small video showing the prototype production run.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DC1q0xwFtVM?feature=oembed

I am really looking dead tired at the end (and I was ;) ), so excuse me for that.

Wishing you a very merry christmas.

Stay tuned for the Pandora Rebirth competition coming up soon - where the first price will be a signed prototype Pandora in a pearl white or golden case!

Congrats on the success, and merry Christmas.

This is an awesome Christmas present for many people out there, who are still waiting.

And I personally am excited about this upgrade program, and the competition bringing out more games.

Truly great news ED, thank you.

Congratulations on orchestrating everything EvilDragon, again the Open Pandora has surmounted unexpected issues. I'm happy with the extra RAM, and think the upgrade program balances it out in fairness. Having second-hand Pandoras is a good idea, as it makes them available at a lower price point.

Hope you have a restful and enjoyable Christmas.

(Like you said in your video, thanks to all the software developers too, really some great things going on.)

i now believe we approach the goal!!

merry christmas to you all

(a little question, why the production can't start in january^^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, remember when I said I've got a little surprise for you?

Here you go: The Pandoras made here will have 512MB of RAM, twice as much as before.

That is the most awesome thing to hear for me! I was always hoping the Pandora would get more memory. Now I am even more excited to get my unit. When it arrives i will take at least one week off from work :)

ED you are the best!

(a little question, why the production can't start in january^^)

For the prototype run, only 20 bare PCBs have been built.

1000 bare PCBs for the mass production run have a leadtime of 20 working days.

The company that is producing the bare PCBs is in China - and they are closing down for Chinese New Year on January 16th for two weeks.

YAY!!! \(^-^)/

Also, thanks for making that vid, it's awesome. Have a great Christmas and Happy Holidays to the whole OP Team (and everyone else here ;) )!

This is one of the best video about Pandora and a very very good news for all Pandorians.

Thanks ED and have a great Christmas... :)

So I'm still in Batch 1, that means I'll get a slightly upgraded Pandora, right?

Though I got my Pandora for a long time already, I am happy for everyone who is still waiting for their unit. And especially for ED.

Enjoy your ram-upgrade once you get the Pandora.

Happy christmas.

As soon as the upgrade program is launched, I'm in. It's no secret I use my Pandora mostly for Desktop purposes. My case is also developing cracks anyway, so I might as well go for it.

I am really looking dead tired at the end (and I was ;) ), so excuse me for that.
Actually you look dead tired right from the start :blink:

Thanks for the video, it was very interesting to see how this all works. Pretty cool!

But now promise to relax a bit ... I know you won't take a few days off (as you should) so at least try to reduce your working hours per day to a level mortal people like us are used to, ok? ;)

So, Two Month? :p

OK, I'm happy everything is going so well and I don't understand how anyone could complain about the RAM upgrade (allthough noone has yet, so maybe everyone's happy?).

When the upgrade program starts I might do that since my Wifi chip is also giving me some trouble.

Thanks everyone and I hope production will no finally go smooth and the Pandora will have some commercial success at last.

Great video. I didn't know all germans drive as fast as Michael Schumacher ! Maybe the outrun music effect ^^.

Merry Xmas, ED, and get some sleep ;^).

Back