You didn't expect this, I guess.

I think whe have to wait for the Samples, and the Poll, if this Thread will get that derailed like the other one, a "Yes Black!" want get noticed..

For me i think a Black Pyra would be fine, but i think i will also be fine whit the Chrome..
I have a Platin Pandora, so it cant get worse ^^

Black is the absence of colour I think.

But seriously, I don't think ED is going to make any decision based on random posts spread across what will inevitably become a 20+ page news post. I'm sure he'll do a poll (yay!) when the time comes to decide. I don't think anything is to be gained by posting 'I'd prefer black/silver/puce' here.

But seriously, I don't think ED is going to make any decision based on random posts spread across what will inevitably become a 20+ page news post. I'm sure he'll do a poll (yay!) when the time comes to decide. I don't think anything is to be gained by posting 'I'd prefer black/silver/puce' here.
Actually I think when it comes to paint, white is the absence of color. Black is all colors mixed together. In any case, I think we really need to see what they look like before we can choose.

Is 0 the absence of a number? Is the empty list the absence of a list? Black is the empty colour. It's the colour when all values are 0.
Actually I think when it comes to paint, white is the absence of color.
Subtractive colours are inferior. Additive colours are master race.

But seriously, I don't think ED is going to make any decision based on random posts spread across what will inevitably become a 20+ page news post.
Indeed; he already decided what the colour will be based on his own preference. I called him about it and this is what he said to me: "I have decided on the colour already based on my own preference. I am going to make a rigged poll in order to give the community the illusion of choice. Yes, I did this with the keyboard as well. HUAHAHAHA!"

These are his exact words including the "HUAHAHAHA".

Do not worry, I am just kidding. Luckily they only rig polls that are about unimportant things like presidential elections.

Is 0 the absence of a number? Is the empty list the absence of a list? Black is the empty colour. It's the colour when all values are 0.

And how is #000000 rendered on a monitor? Yes, that's correct, by removing the/any source of light to that specific area of the screen.

But that wasn't really the point of my original comment, but a futile and (apparently) misguided attempt to bring the off-topic "colour" conversation to a close.

On an LCD screen at least #000000 is done by turning up the polarisation of the LCD and blocking all the light coming from the backlight. Without applying voltage, you actually get #FFFFFF.

Is 0 the absence of a number? Is the empty list the absence of a list?
In python at least the empty list is []. I don't know it in maths or any more pure context (I think the empty set is just brackets/parens in maths though).

Edit: Translation for the yanks added.

Last edited:
And how is #000000 rendered on a monitor? Yes, that's correct, by removing the/any source of light to that specific area of the screen.
[] is the list that has no elements, 0 is the number that has no magnitude, black is the colour that has no light.

But that wasn't really the point of my original comment, but a futile and (apparently) misguided attempt to bring the off-topic "colour" conversation to a close.
That's like trying to end a fire by pouring fuel on it. Besides, this is very important because if we do not sort it out then ED might think that people who ask for black do not want a colour and then he might give them transparent because that is truly when the case has no colour. We need to understand that black is a colour and that when we say "black" we do not mean transparent but rather we mean the colour that has no light. The empty list and 0 of the colours. This discussion is of greater importance than even the keyboard discussion was.

In terms of light, I can see Clockwork Coder's point as well as yours. Light has colour, so no light has an absence of colour, surely?

But in terms of material science, it's more natural to our languages. Red plastics are red because they only scatter red light, so they're absorbing the green and the blue. Black plastics absorb all incident light. White plastics scatter all incoming light out again. Reflective materials reflect incident light back out. Transparent materials refract light internally and back out again. In the case of black plastics, that's fine because the plastic is still there and it's black because it absorbs 90% of incoming light.

Just a tidbit of knowledge: For LCD monitors, displaying white takes less energy than displaying black, because with a bit of electricity, you (partially) shield the colored blocks (display pixels), so to get say, red; you shield green and blue pixels. And it's not much electricity it takes, but the back light takes all the watt's.

Colour contains light. E.g. in Haskell it could be encoded like this (simplified, there are actually many more kinds of light):

data Colour = Colour Red Green Blue
data Red = Red Int
data Green = Green Int
data Blue = Blue Int

So Red, Green, and Blue are kinds of light. And colour contains all those lights. So when you see a light you really see a colour that contains the light. Just like how when you see my writing you really see a screen that contains my writing (or maybe paper if you printed my post out to put it in a frame and hang it above your door or perhas even gold that contains my writing if you edged my writings into gold where they belong). Colour is that which contains light. Ever heard that light is waves yet can travel through a vacuum even though waves always need a medium to travel? That is because colour is the medium of light. Light waves travel through colour.

Colour is also a monoid and black is the identity because black has all values on 0 and if you add black to any colour X then the result will be the colour X. If black is not a colour, then colours do not form a monoid. That is why black must be a colour. Would you take 0 out of the numbers and then lose the monoid with the + operator? Of course not. You would need to be a total barbaric fool to do that. Likewise you would never take black out of the colours because if you did take black out of the colours then that would demote the colours from their status as proper monoid.

Colour contains light. E.g. in Haskell it could be encoded like this (simplified, there are actually many more kinds of light):

data Colour = Colour Red Green Blue
data Red = Red Int
data Green = Green Int
data Blue = Blue Int

So Red, Green, and Blue are kinds of light. And colour contains all those lights. So when you see a light you really see a colour that contains the light. Just like how when you see my writing you really see a screen that contains my writing (or maybe paper if you printed my post out to put it in a frame and hang it above your door or perhas even gold that contains my writing if you edged my writings into gold where they belong). Colour is that which contains light. Ever heard that light is waves yet can travel through a vacuum even though waves always need a medium to travel? That is because colour is the medium of light. Light waves travel through colour.

Colour is also a monoid and black is the identity because black has all values on 0 and if you add black to any colour X then the result will be the colour X. If black is not a colour, then colours do not form a monoid. That is why black must be a colour. Would you take 0 out of the numbers and then lose the monoid with the + operator? Of course not. You would need to be a total barbaric fool to do that. Likewise you would never take black out of the colours because if you did take black out of the colours then that would demote the colours from their status as proper monoid.

Light has a colour an object has not, an object merely has the ability to absorb, reflect or emit light. A banana in the dark "is" not yellow.

Back