Wrapping everything up!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. rSl

rSl i'm not tired. you're tired.

have a save flight ed!

Grench likes this.
  2. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

It isn't like he isn't keeping us updated. I would rather him drop us a line when he can than get nothing, plus this should be an enjoyable place for him, not somewhere he dreads going because everyone is constantly bitching about how slow things are going and giving him shit for not having frequent enough formal news updates.

Thanks for everything you do, ED.

Djhg2000, rSl, Silent-Hunter and 6 others like this.
  3. BentMyWookie

BentMyWookie Still Fresh

Thanks for the thorough response :)

4. Failbert

Failbert Member

This. Besides being sympathetic personally to, and generally trusting of ED, I think for this type of project, no deadline is needed- we're generally a pre-paying customer, not big CEO's putting money to the production department saying "here's the upfront payment. we need this product on the shelves of every major retailer by christmas 2018".

Yes, we want the product to be delivered, as we invested in a promise to get a good product, not to throw money out. Some of us plan to use this device for paid work, even employ it as their main tool- but I suppose even those of us won't wave the calendar at Team Pyra*, as they signed up to crowdfund a hobbyist consumer product (even if it's well suited for efficient work and even if the consumer base isn't massive for this price range), and not signed a contract to deliver X amount of devices capable of Y and Z by day DD.MM.YYYY

Of course it's be great to expect a release date, but if the date isn't really clear, I wish they don't say it rather than take a guess, miss it and then be put under great stress. (Like I'd treat my friends if I ordered something from them) I don't want the developers to be under pressure. Or rather, I don't want to put them under extra pressure myself, because if they are honest people they put themselves under enough already. And even though I don't know them personally, they do have credentials (the Pandora) which is enough for me to think of them as honest people.

*-by no means do I speak for them, of course- all of this is just how I perceive the general patience and attitude through the tone of the posts on this forum

You are very welcome.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  5. error

error Very Active Member

[​IMG]

Djhg2000, ible and FBnil like this.
  6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

To be clear, I've seen no one here asking for the Pyra to be rushed, just for ED to put out some news once there is some.

I guess it's not too surprising there's no news to report at the moment though, all of the hardware issues thus far identified have been fixed (from the sirring noise to the 4GB issue), HNS is mostly fettling kernels for his letux OS at the moment it seems to me (albeit trying to keep it running on the Pyra), and otherwise ED is mainly firing off emails that don't get replies or waiting in hope of international post.

I too wish ED a safe flight, and a productive journey.

7. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Well, one thing is clear. Something in the way of progress is going to happen in the next day or two. I just can't wait until the other company gets hold of the molds and to find out what colour case I may be getting on my Pyra :)

error and mmielke like this.
  8. ThinkPad

ThinkPad Very Active Member

As far as I understand, the case issue is not the bottleneck in the process at all.
    The "mass production" of the PCBs is not scheduled yet and the only reason for that is more hardware "tweaking"

Swordfish II likes this.
  9. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The main hardware tweaking that needs to be done is case mould fettling though, which can only really be done by the new firm. I hope the old firm have produced their 500 clear cases so their contract can be settled neatly. The PCB order will likely be put in once we've got a schedule for the production of final cases.

10. iArnold

iArnold Member

No Pyra parts were shipped to Europe on the MSC ZOE?

11. Arkay Firestar

Arkay Firestar Member

As much as I like my Pandora, I have to confess that I loved the wait for it just as much. It’s one of the main reasons I preordered the Pyra. It’s nice to have something to look forward to. Once we have it, all the possibilities come into focus. But for that brief while (or in this case not so brief), the possibilities seem endless.

12. Pyramancer

Pyramancer Fairly Idle Member

EvilDragon is a wonderful optimist, though. (Which is a good thing in a way, otherwise he might never have undertaken the Pyra project.) So his time estimates tend to be best best best possible case if nothing whatsoever goes wrong and all the other people and organisations involved do their bit promptly, proactively, and conscientiously. Unfortunately things do go wrong (more often than anyone could reasonably have expected), and other people and organisations don't always do their bit. So I (as a terrible pessimist) would say to approximately double EvilDragon's time estimates to get a best case estimate.

Djhg2000, error and BentMyWookie like this.
  13. faeredia

faeredia Still Fresh

So.... 4 months?

14. MrMelty

MrMelty Hot stuff

Which is longer, 2 months + 2 months, or 2 months * 2 months?

Failbert and FBnil like this.
  15. Neelix

Neelix Insecticidal Maniac

That's all well and good except:
    [​IMG]

:)

- Neelix

Djhg2000 and BentMyWookie like this.
  16. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

What hardware tweaks? The display backlight had been fixed and tested before christmas and everything else is done as well. We're only waiting for the cases. It is the current bottleneck.

17. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

@EvilDragon on my CC Pandora, this Brightness Chip have some issues whit Brighness Controll, (ich kann weder mit den Tasten noch mit dem Button in der Taskleiste die Displaybeleuchtung ändern, wenn ich die Pandora zuklappe oder per Taste in Standbye versetze ist zwar das Bild auf dem Display weg, aber die Beleuchtung bleibt an,
    nur wenn ich die Pandora komplett runterfahre ist das Licht aus,)
    Is it the Same Brighness Chip on every Pandora ?? Or got i just Unlucky whit my Pandora PCB ??

So if whe have the Cases, maybe the last 2 Months (tm) are about to end ??

18. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Okay, we have arrived...

19. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

This is Great, but ditnt you want to post in the "From Greece whit Love" Threadt ??
    (Das ist Großartig, aber wolltest du nicht eigendlich im "From Greece whit Love" Faden posten wenn es neues gibt??)

20. Yogendra

Yogendra Still Fresh

Great news, now that we have arrived, when is the lift off ?