What's A Good Sci Fi Series To Get Into.

On the point of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, you shouldn't compare the film to the TV series, The TV series was quite different from the Radio Series and there's differences in the book too. I think the film tried to capture the spirit and incorporate the whole lot, and not just try to make a film based on the TV series.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm going to keep an open mind I guess.

I agree. Douglas Adams even stated that every incarnation of Hitchhikers is unique with only his humour and a few key points keeping them together.

However.... I disagree with this point, I'm afraid "I think the film tried to capture the spirit and incorporate the whole lot".
I suggest you rent/buy it and let us know what you think, but I feel that they dumbed down the whole thing to make it *shudders* "accessible" to a wider audience. And it's exactly what I thought they would do (so you're best off keeping an open mind before you see it).

I don't /hate/ the movie - it's enjoyable. But it sparks the same feelings in me as when I watch LotR (and other adaptations). I always think they cut the wrong parts and change the feel of the story.
Most books work better as TV series where they can spend the time exploring the range that a book presents and not focusing on the key features (imho). The Dune and Children of Dune series were actually very good adaptations (but the Dune film is obviously amazing in it's own rights).

Last edited by a moderator:
On the point of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, you shouldn't compare the film to the TV series, The TV series was quite different from the Radio Series and there's differences in the book too. I think the film tried to capture the spirit and incorporate the whole lot, and not just try to make a film based on the TV series.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm going to keep an open mind I guess.

It's not just minor differences. All the other versions from the book to the game to the radio and TV series all of them feel like HH but the film doesn't even seem like it is the same story.

I think you may like it if you've not induldged in the other versions or haven't for some years but other than that...

Just thought of another one: Taken
I think they stretched it a little too far at some points (as most USA TV shows seem to do), but it was a well thought-out story that covered 3 (or possibly 4) generations of people.

Apparently The 4400 is good, but I haven't seen any

I've seen the first season of the 4400 and quite liked it. They never aired the second season here though... :(

As for the new BSG I have seen the pilots and series 1 and quite liked it but I always found the cylons looking like humans to be a cop out designed to reduce costs for the show.
I didn't watch the original so I'm biased by they already use CGI for the Cylon Raiders and the space fights, so I don't think budget is the problem. Human cylons are the basis for a lot of the plot in the show and some of its bigger twists, as well as creating a good feeling of tension and uncertainty throughout the series when it is needed; in my opinion it heavily adds to the show.

Stargate SG-1 - haven't really gotten into atlantis, but I have seasons 1-8 of this on dvd
Battlestar Galactica - the new one
Star Trek - well, this should be obvious . . .
X-files - I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet, I really liked it

X-files - I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet, I really liked it

I was going to say X-Files, but I just assumed that everyone wold have seen that already :p

I absolutely love the X-Files, but the only problem with it is that it started going downhill after series 5 and the best episode was the third episode in the first series, Squeeze.

Well, the original Star Trek was pretty bad, except for 3.5 of the movies (2, 4, 6, and 5 was ok but still kind of shitty.) The first couple of seasons of the Next Generation were pretty bad, too. Come to think of it, Star Trek didn't really get good until Gene Rodenberry died.

Well, the original Star Trek was pretty bad, except for 3.5 of the movies (2, 4, 6, and 5 was ok but still kind of shitty.) The first couple of seasons of the Next Generation were pretty bad, too. Come to think of it, Star Trek didn't really get good until Gene Rodenberry died.
You're a happy funny fella aren't you :D

I just seen one of the BEST Star Trek episodes on Sci-Fi, The trouble with Tribbles :) . I almost laughed my knickers off :lol:

One of my favourite episodes of DS9 is when they went back in time to that episode to save Kirk's life from a bomb that was implanted in a tribble.

Back