A small insight into my Mega Man collection (because some folks asked :P)

Prometheus

Some of you were maybe curious, some asked me about it, and some even demanded it (DaMummy, I'm looking at you :p ), and perhaps some dreaded the day that this was coming, but today you all get a little insight into my (vast) collection of Mega Man stuff, whether you like it or not. :p

I cannot adequately describe the size of the collection, which is why covering it all here is simply not feasible. However, I figured I would finally post a few snapshots of some stuff that I particularly like, and provide a couple of links, as well as the complete list of the games that I own (which no doubt some of you will find frightening). I'm not entirely sure that the complete collection list would even fit within the text limit of a single post, so I'll have to leave that out!

Firstly, here are some photos that some of you might have seen before;

Pandora_Mega_Man_2.png

The Mega Man 2 picture - obligatory because it's Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 2 is a historically significant part of the series (this is due to the fact that it's the one that put the series on the map, due to its large amount of refinements over the first game). Not much to say about it, except as you can see, the main European Mega Man 2 artwork (there's a nicer variant from Germany which I don't have) features a silver-armoured, old-looking "Mega Man" who looks like he has an enema or a bowling pin for a hand.

Pandora_RF.png

Rockman & Forte, which is a more common game than some would have you believe (I do have the box, manual, and all of the inserts, they're just not in the picture as I keep them elsewhere - also, the plastic inserts used for Super Famicom releases make this horrible nails-on-blackboard noise when you pull them out of the box, and I wish to avoid that :p ). I've had a harder time trying to keep an eye out for the NP Booth version of this game, to be honest, and at this point I doubt I'll ever see one, since those cartridges were really intended to be blanked and then re-filled with new games every now and then.

Pandora_CPS2-a.png

This is my Pandora along with my Rockman 2: The Power Fighters CPS2 board-set (you can see that my Pandora is running the game as well). This is the yellow version, which is region-free - I gather this is actually the rarest variant, as these were originally used to entice arcades into ordering the relevantly-coloured board for their region. It was a bit of a bargain considering how hard-to-find this particular version is (and how tricky to get hold of this game is in general). I do own the game's forerunner, Rockman: The Power Battle, as well, but since it's a plain CPS1 PCB, it's not very interesting to look at (especially since it spends its time outside of my JAMMA cabinet in a plain silver anti-static bag).

My_Pandora_Showing_Alerinos_Pandora_Playing_HERO.png

The little Mega Man keychain who spends his time attached to my Pandora. (That's Alerino's Pandora in the photograph on its display, there, as someone requested a picture of a Pandora showing a picture of another Pandora running a game.)

Pandora_and_Figure.png

A recent model kit, this picture was taken not long after I finished putting him together. I now also have the matching Roll and Proto Man kits, but I haven't had the time to put them together yet. (I'm hoping for more characters to be made available in this form, too.)

Now for some new pictures.

Servbot.png

A plush Servbot, with an internal armature. These are seriously rare, so I'm very happy to have him. Isn't he a jolly fellow? (It's probably because notaz got The Misadventures of Tron Bonne working on PCSX ReARMed. :p )

Plushes.png

Part of a set of five, and I dare say the most important ones. :p Mega Man, Proto Man, and Pharaoh Man (because every collection needs a boss character in it somewhere).

The others are Dr. Wily, and a Metool enemy, neither of which I have. (There are technically six if you count this backwards-helmet error-version of the latter.)

Below is a better shot of Pharoah Man, using a white backdrop, as he has some humourous detailing on his headgear that doesn't really show in the above picture;

Pharaoh_Man_Snapshots.png

There's also this piece, complete with its original studio seal;

Captain_N_Animation_Cel.jpg

This is a set of animation cels, plus the original background, from a fairly important scene from the first episode of the television series Captain N: The Game Master. I also have the matching sketch for the background, but it's attached to the back of the set, and I don't wish to damage the cels, the background, or the sketch by trying to remove it. Notable, of course, is the show's green-armoured version of Mega Man. (Though, of course, you can also see Pit, who was known simply as "Kid Icarus" in this series, along with the show's hilarious rendition of Simon Belmont, and the main protagonist, Earth-kid Kevin Keene, as well.)

I really love this set of cels, since I really loved that show.

I also have the albums of The Protomen (who have an interesting dystopian take on the original series, which is told via albums that play out almost like a cross between some of Meat Loaf's work, and Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds), and The Megas, but due to a lack of space, I simply purchased the MP3s of these.

There is a LOT more, covering most types of merchandise anyone could think of - keychains, pins, badges, bags, hats, shirts, jackets, action figures, books, model kits, posters, banners, wall-scrolls, flyers, statues, and some one-of-a-kind custom-made and custom-commissioned stuff (some by me, some by others), amongst many, many others - but if I listed any more than this, we'd be here all week. Or month. :p

Now, without further ado, below is the complete list of Mega Man games that I own. Be afraid - be VERY afraid (especially of its no-particular-order structure). (I am missing some extreme obscurities, though - things like Rockman Strategy, Rockman Gold Empire, and Rockman DASH: To Save the World Adventure - but that's mainly because I wouldn't be able to use them.)

Nintendo Entertainment System/Nintendo Famicom;

Mega Man (EU)

Mega Man 2 (EU)

Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (JP)

Mega Man 3 (EU)

Mega Man 4 (EU)

Rockman 5 - Blues no Wana! (JP)

Mega Man 6 (US)

Rockman 6 - Shijou Saidai no Tatakai!! (JP)

Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom;

Mega Man X (EU and US)

Mega Man X2 (US)

Rockman X3 (JP)

Mega Man 7 (EU and US)

Rockman 7 - Shukumei no Taiketsu! (JP)

Rockman & Forte (JP)

Sony PlayStation;

Mega Man 8 (EU)

Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes (JP)

Mega Man Battle & Chase (EU)

Rockman X3 (JP)

Mega Man X4 (EU)

Mega Man X5 (EU)

Mega Man X6 (US)

MegaMan Legends (EU)

MegaMan Legends 2 (EU)

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (EU)

BanDai WonderSwan;

Rockman & Forte - Mirai Kara no Chousen Sha (JP)

Nintendo GameCube;

MegaMan Network Transmission (EU)

Mega Man X Command Mission (EU)

Mega Man Anniversary Collection (US)

Game Boy;

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (EU)

Mega Man II (EU)

Mega Man III (EU)

Rockman World 4 (JP)

Rockman World 5 (JP)

Game Boy Colour;

Rockman X: Cyber Mission (JP)

Mega Man Xtreme 2 (EU)

Game Boy Advance;

Mega Man & Bass (EU)

Rockman & Forte (JP)

Mega Man Zero (EU)

Mega Man Zero 2 (EU)

Mega Man Zero 3 (EU)

Mega Man Zero 4 (EU)

MegaMan Battle Network 2 (EU)

Battle Network Rockman EXE 2 (JP)

Nintendo DS;

MegaMan Battle Network 5: Double Team DS (EU)

MegaMan Star Force Leo (US)

Mega Man ZX (US)

Mega Man ZX Advent (US)

Mega Man Zero Collection (US)

Home Computers;

Mega Man X (MS-DOS) (US)

Mega Man X4 (Windows) (EU)

Mega Man X8 (Windows) (EU)

Street Fighter Series (Contains MS-DOS Mega Man and Mega Man 3) (MS-DOS) (US)

Arcade;

Rockman: The Power Battle CPS1 PCB (JP)

Rockman 2: The Power Fighters - CPS2 A and B board set (JP) (Region-free yellow version)

NeoGeo Pocket Colour;

Rockman Battle & Fighters (JP)

WiiWare;

Mega Man 9 (EU)

Mega Man 10 (EU)

Sega Saturn;

Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes (JP)

Consoles;

Nintendo Game Boy Advance Battle Network Rockman EXE 2 special edition unit (with game) bundle-pack (JP)

LCD Games;

Mega Man 2 by Tiger Electronics (US)

MegaMan NT Warrior Advanced PET (An LCD game replica of the "PET" units from the MegaMan Battle Network games, complete with BattleChips) (US)

Rockman X Pocket Battle Game (A keychain LCD game in the shape of Mega Man X's helmet) (JP)

You'll notice that I've made a note of owning some differently-regioned duplicates here and there. This is due to transitioning over to NTSC hardware in some cases, or just plain ending up with duplicates due to bundle packages and suchlike*. In some cases, I own differently-regioned versions simply because that was all I could get - I'm not picky about obtaining complete sets from any one location.

*(Moreover, if you've heard the voice-acting from Mega Man 8, you'd want the Japanese version, too!)

Anyway, it's not the most extensive collection in the world, but I hope that that satiates the curiousity of anyone who wanted to see a little bit of my Mega Man collection, and at least wasn't *too* mind-numbing for those of you who didn't. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
wow finally, more pics pls :}

edit:what is that clear thing under your pandora in some pictures?

I'd guess about a decade or so ago, I think (online shopping from around the globe via the internet has helped it along a lot :lol: )... Maybe I should try to post my entire collection listing? :p

Mega Man games for the NES were always awful, I have MM2 from the US and something weird is going on with his foot. It is pretty common, you should get a copy just to have it. Looking at the web 3 isn't too bad, I had that also but couldn't remember the cart.

I used to pass 3 daily, was so good at it I could pass most bosses without getting hit once. When I play it now I suck, I have never played it on the original hardware since those days but have played it on emulators and the PS2 so I think the timing is different on non original hardware.

:eek: , just :eek:

Are you sure you don't have the most extensive Mega Man collection in the world?

You should do some kind of display picture of all the merchandise, would be cool to see.

Yeah, a nice panoramic shot would be nice. Do you have most of your collection displayed or safely tucked away?

Is that some kind of stand for a DS that you have your Panda on?

Yeah, a nice panoramic shot would be nice. Do you have most of your collection displayed or safely tucked away?
A bit of both, and all over the place, which means photographing it all really isn't possible, unfortunately.

Is that some kind of stand for a DS that you have your Panda on?
It is! Specifically, it's one of these. There's a bit of a gap at the sides, but it works well enough.

That's... Wow... That's just sick! In a good way ;)

Hey, are you collecting Mega Man graphic novels by any chance?

Hey, are you collecting Mega Man graphic novels by any chance?
Yep. I highly recommend Mega Man Megamix Volumes 1, 2, and 3 by Hitoshi Ariga (they're now available in English). I also recommend Rockman & Forte Volumes 1 and 2 by Koji Izuki, but that's only available in Japanese and Taiwanese (I own both versions).

Mega Man Gigamix (also a three volume series) by Hitoshi Ariga is currently being translated into English as well, with Volume 1 due out in May. I'm told it surpasses Megamix, so that promises to be epic.

I was wondering what it is specifically about Megaman that you like so much?

I was wondering what it is specifically about Megaman that you like so much?
I don't really know how to answer that! But I'll see if I can anyway. :p

For one thing, the challenge, the music, and all that good stuff. I have been known to cancel pre-orders for games that are too easy (such as Kirby's Epic Yarn - I love Kirby, but when I heard that you can't even die and there's no penalty for playing poorly, it put me off; I did stick with Donkey Kong Country Returns, though, which anyone who loves a Mega Man-esque level of challenge will no doubt adore :p ).

For another, the universe the games are set in is very rich (i.e., there's lot of interesting stuff in it, and this has an impact on the games and what's in them), and it has probably the most enormous cast of meaningful characters of any long-running game series (with the lone exception of Pokemon) - it's unique in that you find that everyone has their own particular favourites. For example, this artist seems to have a focus on Crash Man (one of the Mega Man 2 bosses, who has a particularly interesting way of fighting - he's quite non-confrontational), and the Stardroids (from the fifth and final Game Boy title).

Also, I've always thought that robots are cool. :p

hmm some random questions, at what point in the video games did you start liking mega man? at what point did you start collecting? is megaman the favorite, or some other character? if megaman, whats the favorite boss/friend? and what exactly makes you say you dont have the most extensive megaman collection?and once again, 4 new pictures isnt nearly enough....and would you be able to name them all off the top of your head?

http://www.bonus-level.com/Bonus_Level_Uploads/2010/11/Classic_MegaMan___1987_to_2003_by_MSipher.png

I've always been aware of Megaman and played a couple of them, but only for a few minutes. I did used to watch Captain N too, but I actually didn't get the nintendo game references because I owned a spectrum, then an Amiga, then I skipped straight to the megadrive as my first console.

When I get my Pandora I'm going to see if I've got the stones to go through them.

one more question, megaman 2d or 3d(dont mean 3ds 3d but psx 3d), the reason i ask is because i never cared for the 3d megaman games on psx and those have turned me away from megaman for quite some time, for some reason, they just didnt click with me, i also didnt care for the starforce series or the battle network series, sorry if this post offends you in any way :|

one more question, megaman 2d or 3d(dont mean 3ds 3d but psx 3d), the reason i ask is because i never cared for the 3d megaman games on psx and those have turned me away from megaman for quite some time, for some reason, they just didnt click with me, i also didnt care for the starforce series or the battle network series, sorry if this post offends you in any way :|
Or, to slightly rephrase the question: What (if any) parts of the megaman franchise do you dislike or reccomend people avoid?

hmm some random questions, at what point in the video games did you start liking mega man? at what point did you start collecting?
A decade or so ago, on both counts, but I had played and liked the games a long time before that. And of course, there was always Captain N.

is megaman the favorite, or some other character? if megaman, whats the favorite boss/friend?
I have a great fondness for the characters designed by Hayato Kaji, personally. I do like Mega Man himself, too, of course!

and what exactly makes you say you dont have the most extensive megaman collection?
Because there are things I don't have. But in fairness, I collect what I like - I see no sense in trying to get everything, including stuff I don't want. :lol:

and once again, 4 new pictures isnt nearly enough....
I'll see if I can do anything about that. :p No promises, though.

In spite of its title, and its obvious excellency, that image is missing bosses that existed prior to 2003. :blink:

The bosses of the original series (so far);

Cut Man, Guts Man, Ice Man, Fire Man, Elec Man, Bomb Man, Metal Man, Quick Man, Crash Man, Bubble Man, Heat Man, Wood Man, Flash Man, Air Man, Shadow Man, Magnet Man, Needle Man, Top Man, Snake Man, Hard Man, Gemini Man, Spark Man, Bright Man, Pharaoh Man, Skull Man, Toad Man, Dive Man, Ring Man, Dust Man, Drill Man, Charge Man, Crystal Man, Gravity Man, Star Man, Napalm Man, Stone Man, Wave Man, Gyro Man, Plant Man, Centaur Man, Knight Man, Yamato Man, Flame Man, Wind Man, Blizzard Man, Tomahawk Man, Freeze Man, Burst Man, Cloud Man, Slash Man, Shade Man, Turbo Man, Junk Man, Spring Man, Grenade Man, Frost Man, Clown Man, Sword Man, Aqua Man, Search Man, Tengu Man, Astro Man, Cold Man, Burner Man, Pirate Man, Ground Man, Magic Man, Dynamo Man, Konro Man, Komuso Man, Aircon Man, Dangan Man, Clock Men (this is not a typo), Compas Man (that's not a typo either), Hornet Man, Splash Woman, Concrete Man, Tornado Man, Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Magma Man, Plug Man, Pump Man, Chill Man, Commando Man, Strike Man, Blade Man, Nitro Man, Solar Man, Sheep Man, Volt Man, Dyna Man, Sonic Man (these three are from "Mega Man" for MS-DOS), Torch Man, Shark Man, Bit Man, Oil Man, Wave Man, Blade Man (these six are from "Mega Man 3" for MS-DOS, there is no 2; And yes, there really are two Wave Mans, two Blade Mans, and two Oil Mans, but these three all pre-date the Capcom-created ones who share the same names!). There's also "Oil Man" and "Time Man" from that PSP remake of the first game, but honestly I don't count them, because I strongly dislike attempted-and-failed retcons.

There are also some special robots outside of the "Noun Man" boss group. Some of these tend to be recurring characters;

The Mega Man Killers: Enker, Punk, Ballade, and not technically a Mega Man Killer, Quint (who is actually a converted evil Mega Man from an alternate timeline).

The Special Wily Numbers: Bass, and Treble.

The Stardroids: Terra, Mercury, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Uranus (yes, poor guy...), Pluto, Jupiter, Saturn, and Sunstar.

The Constellation Droids (from the very obscure Rockman Strategy - a Taiwanese RTS game from early last decade): Pisces, Gemini, Virgo, Leo, Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Libra, Scorpio, Saggitarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Luna, and Apollo.

There's also Rockman Shadow, who is Quint from another alternate timeline (but he doesn't strictly fit into any of the above groups, not even the one Quint himself is part of). There is also King (a key character in Mega Man & Bass), and Crorq (from the two MS-DOS games), as well.

I think that's everybody, at least from the original series. How did I do?

EDIT: More questions, eh? :p

I prefer 2D, but there are merits to the 3D titles as well. They're just generally not my sort of thing. By far, the best of the 3D titles is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, because it's more arcade-styled and not as mired in cutscene fluff and rubbish. :p

Or, to slightly rephrase the question: What (if any) parts of the megaman franchise do you dislike or reccomend people avoid?
To be honest, there isn't anything I would really recommend avoiding (except for maybe those soulless remakes...). There's a lot of variety, and probably something most people would find entertaining. Personally I'm not as fond of the 3D titles, or of the two RPG sub-series (MegaMan Battle Network, and MegaMan Star Force, which officially constitute a different continuity from all of the other games), but I know that some may well prefer them. It's all a matter of taste.

Hi Prometheus,

I'd like to ask, if you could pick 8 robot masters to make the ultimate megaman game which would they be(no need to consider weapon weaknesses)?

My personal choices would be.

Solar Man

Quick Man

Snake Man

Jewel Man

Cold Man

Heat Man

Slash Man

Skull Man.

Thanks.

Back