What's A Good Sci Fi Series To Get Into.

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I'm coming to the end of my Babylon fives and will be needing more input in the next couple of weeks so what's a good Sci Fi series to get into.

I've seen all the star treks and buffies, angels etc. Blimey I even struggled through Andromeda. So list your favorites here to give me some ideas.

Farscape is good. Stargate is good. Firefly is good if you don't mind a short series.

I wouldn't call Stargate good, but it's entertaining in a cheesy sort-of way. :p Firefly was ok, but I never understood what all the hype was about.

If that's the new Dr. Who you're refering to, TelcoLou, then I'd also recommend it. They've been showing the first season on the Sci-Fi channel, here, and it's great. I guess it's been out in the U.K. longer, but I'm not sure.

Sci-Fi also has been running a show called John Doe that's been pretty good. First Wave was a good show that's not on anymore, here. If you've never seen Farscape, it's worth checking out, but some people don't like it. The new Battlestar Galactica series is very good.

Some others would be: Sliders, TekWar, Earth: Final Conflict, The Outer Limits (the newer series), Poltergeist: The Legacy, and American Gothic. All had some excellent episodes, but some mediocre ones, too.

LoL, someone else watched Andromeda? I thought I was the only one willing to suffer for my sci-fi.

Yeah, if you want to reach into the obscure ones, Sliders was pretty good. I liked Seven Days also.

Okay I love Sci Fi, and here's my little list.....

Doctor Who - The new series, especially with David Tennant. If you want the odd taster for this, I will be happy to knock some up as I have digitised the lot to date. And I mean tasters not entire progs.

Battlestar Galactica - The new series. Very gritty and realistic.

Farscape - The most original Sci Fi I have seen in years.

Stargate - The first few series were the best, forget Atlantis it's just too daft.

Excalibur - That's the next step to Babylon 5 don't ya know :)

Hope that helps

Okay I love Sci Fi, and here's my little list.....

Doctor Who - The new series, especially with David Tennant. If you want the odd taster for this, I will be happy to knock some up as I have digitised the lot to date. And I mean tasters not entire progs.

Battlestar Galactica - The new series. Very gritty and realistic.

Farscape - The most original Sci Fi I have seen in years.

Stargate - The first few series were the best, forget Atlantis it's just too daft.

Excalibur - That's the next step to Babylon 5 don't ya know :)

Hope that helps
David Tennents Doctor Who's shite. He acts nothing like the Doctor. Not his fault though. Russel T Davies Fault

Dr: We are out of time. Theres no way we can go and get him now. Hes doomed. Theres not enough TIME. If only there were more TIME machines like my TIME machine and the TIMElords like myself were still here to travel through TIME at their will. Emphasis on the word TIME Rose.

Me: *If I was there* TIME MACHINE. BLUE. TIME MACHINE. PHONEBOX. BLUE PHONEBOX TIME MACHINE. PHONE POLICE IN 1950s BLUE TIME PHONE BOX.

Dr: Not enough time...

Me: Oh for Gods sake, sod it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Battle Star Gallactica (the new series). Besides the pilot which which is just good, the rest of the series just kick ass. If you are babylon 5 fan you'll sink into BSG immediately :) Very good acting, great sfx, higly addictive and higly recommended.

Sliders, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Third Rock (hehe), Dune and Children Of for two short series (well, book adaptations), Ultraviolet (the British TV series) was another pretty good short series.
If you'll accept it, I got in to Carnivale massively (so annoyed they considered two seasons enough). And (to my shame) Lost; it's a good way to wind up the conspiracy/puzzle side of your brain.

Firefly!
Star Trek (TOS, TNG, ENT) :p
Dr Who
Red Dwarf

I must be brain dead, I can't think of anything else at the minute.

I'm interested in the differing views on the David Tennent Dr Who as I enjoyed the Eccleston stuff and the Christmas Special but haven't seen the new series as live out of the UK and was only back for Christmas.

Also I had heard the new Battlestar Galactica was good so look forward to tracking some of that down.

Ealry Sliders was good easy to watch stuff too I would agree.

I would be hard pushed to beat Bab 5 though, quality, it gave the whole genre a kick up the proverbial when it came out IMHO.

Never managed to see more than the pilot for Excalibur, I thought they shelved it. Any good?

Lexx, Lost, The One Game (if you can find it on dvd).

It's amazing how many great sci-fis have been made.
Lexx (the movies especially) was so great. *thinks: must buy them on DVD sometime*

For some good oldies: Logan's Run (no laughing back there!), The Prisoner, Blake's 7 (I said no laughing!)

And, for my sins, I've recently bought season 1 and 2 of The Tribe (and Magnum PI, but keep that quiet as I still have a modicum of dignity left)

*sighs* Good series' like those are why I never have any money to spend :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back