What Os Do You Use?

I'm gonna try to make the list small, not entering into much details

• Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Linux (some famous distro like ubuntu)

• Linux (some less-famous/obscure distro)

• Mac OS X

• Some other (please specify!)

• Total voters

I voted "Linux (some famous distro like ubuntu)"
I use SuSE on my desktop and laptop. I have used various updates of the SuSE distros for over 10 years now. It suits my daily needs and works well for me. I am only exposed to Windows XP in my workplace.

zames007 said:
My guess is that more and more people will adopt Linux, Open source overall will become more popular and Bill Gates will have to get a part time job.

I suspect that many within Microsoft know this already, and have for a number of years. This is probably why they have thrown so much money at the x-boxen and diversified into things like media and military hardware. Of course they can't admit it in public for all sorts of reasons. Bill Gates doesn't need to work again even if he lives forever :p

ricki said:
I also would miss tools like grep on the xp-shell.

Windows has grep now? You do know that there has been a very capable grep on *nix since before Microsoft was born? Does the Windows version have some extra indispensable feature?

The poll results are interesting. I know there's a particularly high proportion of Linux users here, but I don't remember similar polls around the time the GP2X came out having the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryuu said:
I think its interesting that people who use hold-your-hand-and-spy-on-you-dows extensively, will be getting a Linux based Panda :huh:

I know, because us Windows users are really stupid, and need our hands held!

Or maybe we prefer to have a OS that plays our games properly, or like using a newer version of Photoshop. I mean, I used Ubuntu as my main OS for a while, but had to stop when I swapped my motherboard out for another of the exact same type of mother board, that killed Ubuntu, but XP went on!

My XP has went through RAM change, that Motherboard Replacement, then a Graphics Card change, and it still works as it should.

I want linux to succeed, but it's not quite ready for full desktop use yet..

(I have a linux phone. That's broken too ^_^)
EDIT: HOLY DICK SHITTING NIPPLES, THE PHONE WORKS.

I cannot disagree with anything you said, i too use windows (hacked/tweaked to remove as many trojans and spyware which xp has built in) for games i cant play 100% well through wine. But it has to start somewhere and if we all keep going back to windows then whats the point in having linux..

Btw did u try reinstalling/recompiling ubuntu after the motherboard switch? and did windows keep working after the switch or did you reinstall ?

-Ryu

Klepto said:
ricki said:
I also would miss tools like grep on the xp-shell.

Windows has grep now? You do know that there has been a very capable grep on *nix since before Microsoft was born? Does the Windows version have some extra indispensable feature?As I said: I use cygwin to get a bash-like shell on my XP laptop. I know what grep is and where it come from.
edit1: There are ports of a lot of unix tools for windows out there. Here are some examples.
edit2: the "indispensable feature" is... it works on windows ;)

Ryuu said:
Ryuu said:
I think its interesting that people who use hold-your-hand-and-spy-on-you-dows extensively, will be getting a Linux based Panda :huh:

I know, because us Windows users are really stupid, and need our hands held!

Or maybe we prefer to have a OS that plays our games properly, or like using a newer version of Photoshop. I mean, I used Ubuntu as my main OS for a while, but had to stop when I swapped my motherboard out for another of the exact same type of mother board, that killed Ubuntu, but XP went on!

My XP has went through RAM change, that Motherboard Replacement, then a Graphics Card change, and it still works as it should.

I want linux to succeed, but it's not quite ready for full desktop use yet..

(I have a linux phone. That's broken too ^_^)
EDIT: HOLY DICK SHITTING NIPPLES, THE PHONE WORKS.

I cannot disagree with anything you said, i too use windows (hacked/tweaked to remove as many trojans and spyware which xp has built in) for games i cant play 100% well through wine. But it has to start somewhere and if we all keep going back to windows then whats the point in having linux..

Btw did u try reinstalling/recompiling ubuntu after the motherboard switch? and did windows keep working after the switch or did you reinstall ?

-Ryu

I never tried reinstalling, just decided I would try though a VM. And Windows kept working after all the switches, no reinstalling.

How different is it to use a 64 bit pc? On downloads for software, commonly I see 64 version and 32 version, leading me to thinking not everything is compatible

I use xp it works for all that I need it to. I also have a few 98s.... they.. work.. (dos games anyone?)
V***a. No you can take your little V***a and put it in the toilet. V***a is only nice for users. V***a doesn't work for advanced users. I tried working on my friends V***a and it was like, "do you want to continue? are you sure you want to continue? Are you sure your sure?" V***a goes to the dogs. V***a is of the devil. Its not quite as bad as M*******m E*****n, but V***a is up there!

I've voted "other", because what I'm really using isn't (multi)selectable:
- XP on three desktops (one dual-boot with a not entirely succesful "Hackintosh" OSX)
- W98SE on an old laptop
- XP on my work laptop
- Vista32, Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my home laptop

mali said:
It seems there is a problem with your '*' key.

No, it's not a problem with the "*" key. That's working perfectly. Some other keys aren't working and he's using the "*" as a placeholder.

I've always used Windows for a while now. The earliest version was Windows 3.0 but didn't really use it that much as it used a fair bit of memory when it came to running applications and in the pure DOS environment it would work smoothly. Nowadays I use Windows Vista at home and Windows XP at work. Trying to get some time on my hands to learn and use Linux as an alternative OS. :)

nice to see this topic is flowing very well
it's also interesting to see we have (more or less) 45% on windows, 45% on linux, 10% on OS X and others
sorry about letting freebsd go :p

I use vista mainly for the reasons chip has enumerated. Although I know how important it would be for the rest of the world if some linux distro gets popular.

I've used linux for my semester work at university (I had to use linux to hold a webpage, the other systems on the network used windows :p) and I've got mixed feelings towards linux.
it's sad to see we still have to use a lot of command line and tutorials to make things with your system.
it's still not ready for mass usage, I wouldn't really recommend using linux to anyone except some enterprise that want to cut costs and such...

Now if someone huge like google manages to make a glinux or something, mass adoption and all the good things that come with it are really welcome :)

on a side note: you shouldnt really hate those OS discussions. it's interesting to see what OS people use and why. what you should hate is, in fact, people that don't know what a discussion is, and argues his OS is the best ever, blablabla.
I know vista 64 isn't perfect, but it's certainly the best choice for what I do at home :)
(and my laptop dual-boots for xp and ubuntu, just in case ;) )

I think it says a lot about the people writing here that this thread didn't turn into a flame war :)

PoisonedV said:
How different is it to use a 64 bit pc? On downloads for software, commonly I see 64 version and 32 version, leading me to thinking not everything is compatible
I use XP64 and ALL 32-bit applications that I have installed work flawlessly, aside from firewall software (luckily Comodo has an x64 version). I gather than there are certain advantages to having native 64-bit versions though I'm not sure what they are (I think faster loading might be one advantage..?)

I'm told that XP64 isn't that great for games. I wouldn't really know because I don't use it for games.

Back