What Browser Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by GPJosh, Apr 14, 2004.

?

What Browser Do You Use?

1. Internet Explorer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. FireFox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mozilla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Netscape

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Opera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thebluenewt

thebluenewt wrrrr thrrr frrrrrrrrk?

I found a registry edit that solved the problem with IE.

The DownloadWith extension is refusing to work with Getright for some reason too.

Oh well I'll just use IE for downloading. Firefox is definitely better for general web use and that comes from someone who loves Windows!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  2. Akuma no Houkon

Akuma no Houkon Certified Guru

Getright should already work with Firefox without the Download With extension.
    Unless something changed in either of them since i last used it. (I have 300 KB/s so getright isnt really nessisary, and I dont usually download more than 2 or 3 things from the same site at the same time. At 300 KB/s by the time I click on the next file, the previous file is already downloaded lol.)

Regardless GetRight has a Drag&Drop window that you can just drag and drop links from firefox onto them if it doesnt work normally. (It should work with GetRight however, it did for me).

3. thebluenewt

It works up to choosing where to save the file and then nothing happens.

Forgot about the drag and drop, that'll do nicely! :)

4. Max

Max Member

Using Konquero on Linux. But I think I'll switch to Opera really soon.

5. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

IE -> Opera -> FireFox.

Tried Opera 7.5 yesterday, and it seems it turning into a bloated pile of poo.

6. Akuma no Houkon

It seems all of the great alternatives, Opera, Mozilla (normal), Netscape, etc..., eventually turn into a "bloated pile of poo". This was the very reason for the creation of Firefox.

7. Ernest

Ernest DeFiAnT

Ive just converted to opera, im quite pleased with it part from i'd like to check out firefox as ive heard its good but is it possible to downlad it on a 56k modem??

8. Ernest

Ernest DeFiAnT

Ive just switched to firefox now, i like it but im not sure whether i prefer opera or not, can some1 with more experience give some advice on which one to use, altho opera seems to load sites up faster i think im not sure!

9. Delsabre

Delsabre Member

I've used Opera for over a year now, and here are the differences:

Opera has lower compatability than Firefox.
    Opera is faster than Firefox ( It uses the cache exessively. Not a bad thing, though. ).

I prefer Opera, because it has a few nifty features such as starting where you left off, built-in mail, and 'User Mode' ;) .

If you want better compatability/faster javascript, use Firefox.

10. Ernest

Ernest DeFiAnT

Right thats good i think ill keep both and use em for different things

11. finty

finty what is this

another good thing about firefox is if you type a word with no .com or whatever into the bar at the top it does a google im feeling lucky search, type home or internet and see. it would probably do it for any other search engine you configure. just dont type goatse :p

12. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

The best thing I like about Firefox is that they don't try and do everything in one executable, the mail system is seperate just in case you want to use your own, ad blockers, mouse gestures, etc are all extension plugins, and you just choose which features you want and install. There are some great plugins (sorry, extensions) out there:

All in one gestures - basically just mouse gestures. Can't do without it now.
    Nike Anything - remove anything from a webpage. Perfect for removing a flashing advert or banner whilst your trying to read the text.
    Add bookmark here - add a bookmark to the current page with a simple right click
    Paste and go - URL in your clipboard? Just right click and "Paste and go"
    Flash Click to view - Stops all flash animation from appearing until your click on it. Perfect for annoying advertisements, without getting in the way of fun games and the like.

13. Dozer

Dozer Efram the retarded rabbit

Is there a way to copy and image to the clipboard? I can't seem to do that :S.

14. Akuma no Houkon

Well the compliment to Firefox is the Mozilla Thunderbird mail application (0.6a is really nice...), its made by the same people and will replace the mozilla mail in the mozilla application suite when Firefox replaces mozilla. So you will have the option of downloading these individually, or as a complete package.

Thunder bird has an adaptive junk mail filter (this is an awesome feature) you must first "train" thunderbird to the kind of emails you consider junk, by clicking on the Junk button on the toolbar when you have junk mail highlighted, it creates "training data" that adapts to your wants and will slowly start to mark the incomming mail as junk if it thinks it is (you can unmark it if you want) and if you are happy with the adaptive rules thunderbird has created you can simply have it move all junk mail instantly to the trash. (this doesnt seem to work in the stable 0.5 build, only in the nightly trunk releases 0.6a being the newest) You still have the option of common text or content based filters (like most email clients have) in addition to the adaptive filter. Good for sorting your incomming mail.

Firefox and Thunderbird, are really nice, they have all of the nessesary functions that most everyone will need, and leave all the rest for you to pick and choose. So whoever asked about a 56k modem, firefox is tiny compared to mozilla, opera, netscape, etc... its not this big bloated suite.

15. Ernest

Ernest DeFiAnT

Im using both opera and firefox at the mo to see which i prefer, so far i think opera works better with my 56k modem pages seem to load up quicker regardless of whether their in my internet cache or not so im not sur ei shall how things go with the both of them and see what i finally consider the best for me.

16. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

In Firefox, just right-click the image and select "Copy image".

17. diablo2

diablo2 Virtual Boy

is there a way to make firefox stream video
    ive tried alternative browsers but only ie seems to do it
    and there is no way im switching back to ie

18. Akuma no Houkon

You stream video with Firefox the same way as you do IE! You might have to download a plugin depending on the video type, but it works just like IE does.

19. yaustar

yaustar UK GP32 & GP2X Owner

Firefox is brilliant... got introduced to mozilla by a friend and finally switched to FF :) Other plugins that are useful would be Chatzilla (IRC Client) and Spiderzilla (website downloader)

Thunderbird is nice as well. :)

Problem is that some websites are specially made for IE.. (eg http://www.dabs.com ) Firefox seems to hate that website.. :(

20. thebluenewt

Looks ok to me, is it just when you buy something it goes wrong?