What Os Do You Use?

I'm gonna try to make the list small, not entering into much details

• Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Linux (some famous distro like ubuntu)

• Linux (some less-famous/obscure distro)

• Mac OS X

• Some other (please specify!)

• Total voters

I use XP on my gaming PC as well as for my laptop for work. On my laptop i have cygwin installed, because my favorite text editor (vim) works best in a bash environment. I also would miss tools like grep on the xp-shell. I want to migrate to linux, but it looks like it will be a lot of work and i don't have much time for experimentation.

I have to vote XP, because currently I'm still tweaking my Xubuntu installation... and since I got my new TV, I can't fix the Overscan on Xubuntu... :(
My laptop did have Vista32 preinstalled, but I soon sorted that. I would like XP x64, but I can't seem to find any drivers for anything :( So yeah I put XP x86 on there. But I will use Xubuntu primarily as soon as I can finish tinkering enough :)

*Vista on my work machine.
*Vista, XP and Ubuntu on my main home machine (Mainly XP).
*XP/GB-PVR but moving over to KnoppixMyTV on my PVR.

Arch Linux. Ticked "some less-famous/obscure distro".
EDIT: I've been using it for quite a while now. The latest app versions and no bloat!

i use kubuntu kde4 (mostly) and a "hacked" version of windows xp (for games i cant play in wine well)
Desktop: Kubuntu kde4 and windows xp seconday os (hacked and tweaked)
Laptop1: kubuntu kde4
Laptop2: Fedora and windows xp pro secondary os (hacked and tweaked)
very old desktop: Gentoo

I think its interesting that people who use hold-your-hand-and-spy-on-you-dows extensively, will be getting a Linux based Panda :huh:

-Ryu

Edit: aded my other comps

skeezix said:
You forgot FreeBSD! (thats not an Other, its pretty popular ;)

jeff
Speaking of FreeBSD, I was somewhat surprised to see Linux Format include PC-BSD on its DVD this month. :p It got an excellent write-up in the magazine, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Linux Mint (Ubuntu based) on both of the computers I own... forced to use Windows XP at work. If given the choice I'd run linux there too.

I dual boot Mint and Vista at the moment. I also have Puppy on a USB stick that sees a good amount of use as well (it's probably the OS I use most at the moment, oddly enough).

I use Ubuntu EEE on my EEEpc, but felt the need to upgrade the ram on it to keep it at a respectable speed.

I'm voting Linux mainstream.

@home:
  • MythTV backend server - Mythbuntu
  • MythTV frontend server - Mythbuntu
  • Backup, web, mail, and MythTV slave backend server - Ubuntu server 8.04
  • Girlfriend's desktop - Ubuntu 7.10
  • HP TX1000 series tablet notebook - dual boot Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista 64-bit (for Rhapsody)
    note - Tablet PC in Linux not as much fun as advertised.
  • Kids' pc - WinXP, although I'm thinking of switching to -- you guessed it -- ubuntu.
  • BeagleBoard - Angstrom
@mobile@work:
  • Mac Pro - OS X
  • Macbook Pro - OS X (w/XP running in Parallels)
Looking over this list, it occurs to me that I may have a few too many computers running at the house. <_< It also occurs to me that I've saved myself almost $1000 in Microsoft licensing fees (if you discount the 'Microsoft Tax'). :blink: That's a schload of cash. Enough for two Pandoras and accessories. Holy crap! Linux paid for my Pandora!

Oh, and I'm now trying to use the phrase 'fiddle-fun-feeling' at least once a week. :D

Ryuu said:
I think its interesting that people who use hold-your-hand-and-spy-on-you-dows extensively, will be getting a Linux based Panda :huh:

I know, because us Windows users are really stupid, and need our hands held!

Or maybe we prefer to have a OS that plays our games properly, or like using a newer version of Photoshop. I mean, I used Ubuntu as my main OS for a while, but had to stop when I swapped my motherboard out for another of the exact same type of mother board, that killed Ubuntu, but XP went on!

My XP has went through RAM change, that Motherboard Replacement, then a Graphics Card change, and it still works as it should.

I want linux to succeed, but it's not quite ready for full desktop use yet..

(I have a linux phone. That's broken too ^_^)
EDIT: HOLY DICK SHITTING NIPPLES, THE PHONE WORKS.

I use 64bit Vista, because it is the only viable option for high end systems. The 32 bit versions of XP and Vista can't handle more than 4GB (video and system combined!) RAM, and the only thing worse for high end graphics card support than Linux is 64bit XP.

Linux is great for certain things, but it's just not good for my desktop. Vista may be bloated and slow, but those problems can be easily overcome by throwing hardware at them. No amount of hardware will magic fully functional drivers into being or make software designed for a different system run as well as it would natively.

Inefficiency aside, Vista just plain works. I install a new piece of hardware, and it just plain works. I install a new game, and it just plain works. That's more than worth the hundred bucks.

Back