Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

• Other

• Total voters

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 17 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
GPJosh posted on Apr 18 2004 at 01:19 AM said:
I find Opera gets cluttered and that in FireFox you can get an add on that automaticily opens everything in tapped windows. (Instead of right clicking) B)
Just use the middle mouse button (or press down on the wheel if you have one) to open things in tabs, it makes life much easier. (in Firefox that is).

Or you can hold CTRL as you press a link, that will do it also.
Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 17 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
GPJosh posted on Apr 18 2004 at 01:19 AM said:
I find Opera gets cluttered and that in FireFox you can get an add on that automaticily opens everything in tapped windows. (Instead of right clicking) B)
Just use the middle mouse button (or press down on the wheel if you have one) to open things in tabs, it makes life much easier. (in Firefox that is).

Or you can hold CTRL as you press a link, that will do it also.
It really does help. Especially when you also have your bookmarks in tabs too, then you can easily navigate your daily cycle of sites, here's mine (I visit them in that order, minus the first two, everytime I get on the pc.):
favorites.gif

Attachments

• favorites.gif
    favorites.gif
    8 KB · Views: 115
  • favorites.gif
    favorites.gif
    8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
i dunno why people keep using these retarded browsers. i used to use opera then firefox. they were a novelty for the first few days and opera was pretty fast but then the settings keep fucking up so i stick to good old internet explorer

bringoutthegimp posted on Apr 18 2004 at 08:18 AM said:
i dunno why people keep using these retarded browsers. i used to use opera then firefox. they were a novelty for the first few days and opera was pretty fast but then the settings keep fucking up so i stick to good old internet explorer
lmao - Thats kewl you keep using IE then....

I had a BSD box that had mozilla as part of the distro, it included mouse gestures. After using it for a week I switched all my browsers on all machines to Moz.

When you spend a good portion of your day with a browser open (work etc), you might as well have a nice browser, you might as well be browsing in style.

I'll give three good reasons to revisit firefox / mozilla;

- Mouse gestures, or radial menus.
- Tabbed browsing - Tabbed bookmarks.
- No Spyware / Popups / exploits.

There is one major flaw with the non-IE browsers, and it does suck, some sites publish pages which are not 100% to the HTML spec, and require IE's 'retarded' bugs to render as intended. Each new version of Moz seems to get a little better at emulating the IE quirks, but I feel like the situation serves only to dilute a well defined standard.

settings fucking up? never had anything like that with either of them. user error.

Im sorry, I didnt know having a fast, sleek, safe and secure browser thats uncluttered, supports nice UI and functions like themes, resumeable downloads, an extension system, etc... was a novelty.

If you use IE you deserve to use IE. So have at it.

Most of these browsers have roots that originate LONG BEFORE IE was ever a twinkle in microsofts eye.

Dozer posted on Apr 18 2004 at 07:22 PM said:
Is there a way to uninstall internet explorer completely from the pc?
Nope. Its embeded into windows too much. This is one of the biggest reasons NOT to use IE. Think of all the possible exploits people can take advantage of via this tunnel. Hell you dont even have to think about them, because there are 100,000 different cataloged exploits already! People have been using IE to do nasty things to your OS for ages. If IE gets messed up, its possible your whole OS can go, because they are melded together as one.

In the event that some new virus or nasty script comes out and attacks your browser, wouldnt you rather have a browser thats NOT directly imbeded into your OS? Doesnt that make much more sense? The common adage holds true "Dont put all your eggs in one basket."

Its funny, M$ tried to bring IE over to MacOS, but the entire MacOS community basically rejected them (the % that actually used it was startlingly low), they held out for a little bit, but then discontinued the MacOS IE. The same would happen if they brought it over to linux. The only reason people use it right now (the majority of people atleast) is because it comes with the OS and they are too lazy to download a better one, but hey this is what hackers and virus creators love, so keep it up! IE users keep hackers and virus designers in bussiness. :)

That sucks, well I just decided to give firefox a go and it does seem very polished and generally nicer that IE. I think I'll probs stick with it B).

Just a few tips:
1. They release a new build/version every week. You cant find this on the main page, you have to download them separatly from their "nightly/weekly builds" link. Only tested Milestone releases are on the main page.

2. When Firefox blocks popups you will see a blue circle in the bottom left corner of the browser, if you click on this it will bring up the list of popups it blocked for this page, and if you want to have one of those be allowed (like the webbased ICQ or AIM, etc..) you can click the UNBLOCK SITE button and your good to go.

3. Right click on an image and you can choose "Block All Images from ......" to block that image and all other images from that server. This is good for ad banners and just really disgusting OR LARGE signatures.

4. Some sites, written by morons, have scripts that detect your browser and will not let you in if your not using IE (they think that only IE is compatible with their scripts/site/whatever, which is untrue). there is a plugin, I forget the name, its on the main site though, that alows you to choose what your browser "says" it is. So you can have your browser report to these sites that its IE and it lets you in just fine.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 18 2004 at 06:59 PM said:
Most of these browsers have roots that originate LONG BEFORE IE was ever a twinkle in microsofts eye.
IE was never a twinkle in MS' eye, they bought NCSE :p

For those of you using, or converting to Firefox, here is a list of the must have extensions: (click on their names to go to the download page) there are hundreds more, these are just the ones that I recommend.

Ad Block
Adblock is a content-blocking module for the Mozilla and Firefox browsers. It is both more robust and more precise than the built-in image blocker.

Bookmark Links Checker
Bookmark Link Checker detects updated, redirected, and broken links in your bookmarks list.

Dictionary Search
DictionarySearch provides a very easy way to lookup or translate a word in a webpage or an email in a user defineable online dictionary. Simply select the word of which you want to know the meaning. Then right click and select "Dictionary Search for ...". A new browser tab or window will open with the meaning or translation of the word you selected.

Download Manager Tweak
A modification of the Firefox download manager that improves its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.

FlashBlock
Adds an XBL binding to Shockwave Flash object tags that replaces them with a button you must click in order to play the animation. Quite nice for restoring sanity to your browsing session.

Java for Windows
Easy installation of Java within Mozilla/Firefox.

Tabwarning
A small extension that brings up a confirm-dialog when closing a window with more than one tab.

X
x adds a toolbar button from which you can quickly clear privacy sensitive data, specifically: history, form info, saved passwords, download history, cookies, and the cache (both disk and in memory cache).

Ramzy posted on Apr 18 2004 at 10:39 PM said:
Mozilla Firebird - it's surprisingly fast and doesn't contain all the spyware that comes bundled with Internet Explorer.
spyware with internet explorer?

EDIT: Thanks Akuma that tab thing saves me sayin so much swear words :lol:

finty101 posted on Apr 18 2004 at 11:02 PM said:
Ramzy posted on Apr 18 2004 at 10:39 PM said:
Mozilla Firebird - it's surprisingly fast and doesn't contain all the spyware that comes bundled with Internet Explorer.
spyware with internet explorer?

EDIT: Thanks Akuma that tab thing saves me sayin so much swear words :lol:
The tab warning? yeah me too! :)
I sometimes forget that I have tabs open and go to close the window and then im like...UH OH! That tabwarning extension is a lifesaver.

FlashBlock and Ad Block are really nice too. I hate all of these amature website designers that think they can make up for lack of design skill by throwing in a few Flash animations. It can be an eyesore sometimes.

I'm currently using an old version of Mozilla Firebird. Haven't gone to Firefox yet.

Only one thing I don't like about it and that's the way it seems to eat my CPU/Ram. :blink: Very good browser but when i've got a lot of programs running, it's usually the one that takes longest to come up from the taskbar.

Yes it does seem to use a bit more memory than IE, but you have to consider, its doing a bit more too.

Firefox has themes/skins, popup blockers, ad blockers, tab browsing, extension support, SCRIPTABLE User interface, etc.. if you downloaded and ran all of the 3rd party software to do all of this in IE, your combined mem useage would be ALOT higher with IE.

I use IE I'm happy so why change? People can hack into my computer all they want theres nothing much there to take. A few pc games etc. I've never had a problem with IE. ;)

kotd posted on Apr 18 2004 at 07:35 PM said:
I've never had a problem with IE. ;)
lucky

One moment everybody, I'm going to hack kotd's computer and use it as a gateway. :lol:

Back