... we're still alive!

Given the price of 32GB, I can see that a viable option and we should cap it at that given that the MicroSD slot was supposed to used to compensate for a small eMMC. We also have 2 front facing SD slots which should easily be able to drive up to 1TB of SD storage. (I have 2 * 256GB cards in my Pandora ATM and that's more than enough space).

I think a lot of you folks are forgetting the eMMC is on the CPU-Board meaning it's not like we're stuck with 16GB / 32GB forever and when the new CPU-Board comes out, the MMC will be updated and by then the price per GB will have dropped yet again.

Let's think like we did on the Pandora, we compensated for small amount of space by having just the OS and a few tools on the NAND and everything else was SD cards, including appdata. It'd be easier to backup / restore incase of data loss.

Last edited:
FWIW the price in the UK will include that german 19% rate VAT, albeit be priced in GBP. But that final price also depends on today's exchange rate, delivery charges, and the charges my bank might want to apply for the conversion, so depends based on time, location and user. So if the price needs to fit some pattern or other, I'd only concern myself with the euro price alone.

So how it is supposed to work is when you buy it from Germany there are no US taxes levied. You are supposed to report your purchase and pay taxes when you file your tax return. 99% of people don't do this.

Edit: Trashy Beat me to it

While I, in some ways, agree with the sentiment, I don't think we should be disparaging less technically-inclined users from the device. This kind of exclusive attitude in the community will make sure the device never expands beyond the very niche market it has now, which is not good for anybody. The Pyra - and its community - should be friendly to everybody interested. It's good for the culture and it's good for the success of the device.

Exactly. I am a firm believer in that if the user can make an error with your product, because of something that wasn't thought through, or clear enough, that's on you. You cannot get around how they appreciate and cherish your product. I often deal with users, those retards. My happiest moments is when they can connect with something I made. We must all do our part.

I am curious; How would ordering from Australia affect the tax? Would I have to pay both the VAT and the GST(which is 10%)?

I think, assuming the situation is similar to buying from the US in the UK, the item should be shipped without any tax, then tax will be applied once it arrives in your home country.

Exactly. I am a firm believer in that if the user can make an error with your product, because of something that wasn't thought through, or clear enough, that's on you. You cannot get around how they appreciate and cherish your product. I often deal with users, those retards. My happiest moments is when they can connect with something I made. We must all do our part.

Protect the users from themselves? That is what a walled garden is for. That is the same as my cell company's excuse for bloating my smartphone with a bunch of crap I will never want to use - because it's easier for users. Load of BS.

An Open computer is by definition one that the end user can do anything with - including make their own errors and learn from them.

No, we shouldn't disparage users who need to ask questions. No, things should not be made intentionally difficult. On the other end, we shouldn't hide configuration menus 8 layers deep or remove them altogether to shelter the user.

If you want a device made for and to protect the computer illiterate from themselves at the frustration of advanced users, there are plenty of options out there.

On the other end, we shouldn't hide configuration menus 8 layers deep or remove them altogether to shelter the user.

This is one of my biggest gripes with Ubuntu's Unity. It's an absolute pain in the arse to configure and customize.

I think 16Gb would really be a minimum, but would definitely be willing to pay for more.

Considering the general price is already something like 500EUR, adding on another 10 or so to that price isn't likely going to cause many to suddenly not buy it. I think 32Gb would at least give some growth.

Well I guess through the error of ones ways it is possible to read into my post that interpretation. It is of course not what I meant.
When I think things through, and try to clarify, I don't dumb down. It doesn't mean I have an answer, as the case may be, but that is how I try to deal with people.

Last edited:
For me, the eMMC is not about more total space. For me, It's about having enough eMMC to cater for those that want to use it over SD cards

For example , there are a number of people like my self who hate using SD cards:

a) because they have had a number crap out on them

b) they are slower - particularly due to their latency which effects random read writes increasingly as block size reads/writes become smaller.

Also, as like myself, I don't run lots of apps. I can get away with 32GB , so 32GB eMMC or so means that I never have to use SD cards at all.

That's what it's about for me, having enough eMMC to avoid using SD cards. It's not about additional total storage in the sense that we need more than what the SD slots can provide. Not sure why that even got mentioned as to why we were advocating for more eMMC.

There are other points raised by others as well that are also valid, particularly that it would be nice to have enough eMMC to handle future OS versions and particularly if we ever have a dual boot of linux and Android option.

Anyway, it seems ED has settled on 32GB for the eMMC. So I think we need to move to the Pyra color options for something to argue about. :p

Last edited:
Using two (2) of these:
Brief off-topic: Be careful with those. I had one of these that I always carried around with me. Initially it worked great, and I loved it. After a year or two the button thingy started to crumble, which made it hard to get the card out, and shortly after that it stopped being picked up by any computer I tried to use it in. I don't think it would be as much of a problem in a Pyra as it was on my keys, however it is possible that the back side where the button is could be more abused if constantly shoved in a pocket.

I agree with the point of your post, and that is why I don't have much to say in this thread. I understand some people really want more internal storage, but, like you have been saying for a while, this is already an option with the microSD slot. Have we already moved to a point where even adding cards and USB drives is a mystery to most people? You can't blame the smartphone market for that, as even some flagship phones are using microSD again (the most recent "modular" one from LG comes to mind). Sure, add a larger eMMC, I guess, if it isn't going to cause any big price spike. A big reason I like the Pyra (and Pandora) is they are a different direction from where smartphones went, including all the extra REMOVABLE storage options. The only real reason I can see for not going with more internal is the cost, but don't get carried away (128GB, really? Yes, we want it to be a tiny laptop, but it isn't, yet it gives us some of the same storage options, and an extra one with dual SD slots).

Anyone else find that their sdcards all get corrupted eventually and become un-usable? All my Pandora sd cards went this way.
Over the last could years I have had no problems, and I am using Kingston cards in my Pandora.

@vcoleiro1

1. The emmc on the Pandora and pyra can crap out too

2. When have you run into issues playing a game/video from an SD where the speed of them would be an issue?

I am curious; How would ordering from Australia affect the tax? Would I have to pay both the VAT and the GST(which is 10%)?

I think we in Australia actually get a good deal with this. We won't get charged German VAT since we're not in the EU. And we won't get charged Australian taxed or duties since it'll (hopefully) be below 1000AUD.

It's important to know that if the price goes over 1000AUD then it'll become quite a lot more expensive for Australians.

1000AUD ~= 668EUR at the moment, and I'm unsure if that includes shipping costs.

Reference: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo/Buyi

I think we in Australia actually get a good deal with this. We won't get charged German VAT since we're not in the EU. And we won't get charged Australian taxed or duties since it'll (hopefully) be below 1000AUD.

It's important to know that if the price goes over 1000AUD then it'll become quite a lot more expensive for Australians.

1000AUD ~= 668EUR at the moment, and I'm unsure if that includes shipping costs.

Reference: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo/Buyi

I was thinking the other day about whether the 3G/4G + GPS Pyra model would get close to the $1000AUD (Inc shipping) mark which would incur a 10% GST. I guess we will have to wait for the pricing on that model

For the base model Pyra, 500Euro is currently $750 Australian Dollars (or Canadian dollars)

I think from memory the $1000 limit also includes shipping

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day about whether the 3G/4G + GPS Pyra model would get close to the $1000AUD (Inc shipping) mark which would incur a 10% GST. I guess we will have to wait for the pricing on that model

For the base model Pyra, 500Euro is currently $750 Australian Dollars (or Canadian dollars)

That was something I didn't know. That'll be a double win if/when I get one. (The Pyra itself is one win, and not having to pay tax is the other('Cause you get it cheaper!))

And while I think of it, I didn't think that April fools joke was funny. I've seen a LiPo catch fire, and when they get going, they really burn. Melted the whole front of the model plane.

It might actually be worse than that, since I think there's a 50AUD "Processing Charge" too! (See https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/reviews-and-inquiries/fact-sheet-ipc.pdf )

So:
If the Pyra+Shipping costs 667EUR (999AUD), an Australian will pay 667EUR (999AUD).
If the Pyra+Shipping costs 668EUR (1000AUD), an Australian will pay 768EUR (1150AUD)!!!
(Obviously the EUR values will vary based on the days exchange rate)

If The 4G Pyra ends up around 600EUR or something, it gets a bit scary.

After having seen a dead n900 MMC, I'd say go for as much size as possible for wear leveling. Besides that, most (cheap) uSD cards just don't compare to eMMC for small files. You see this, when booting android from an uSD card vs. internal eMMC. I guess It would be best if each and every system would fit onto the eMMC with a fair amount of free space left for wear leveling, so we only mount /home from the internal SD card (and ~/Music, ~/ebooks, ... from an external one).

So... for that difference in price, I'd definitely go for the 32GB model, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
I'd be OK with 8GB but worrying about having to cleanup and/or need to have /home on another storage.
I'd be perfectly happy with 16GB.

I was using an eeePc with Linux, 16GB drive was always fine provided that you use a SD card for mass media (documents, roms, videos, music, photos, etc...).

16GB is plenty of space for the system, software, configuration, packages, temp files, etc...

Back