Update regarding the cases (and some other things)

I really don't like black systems
62194557.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help it. :p

Some more update:

Apparently, the new material looks better and is less fingerprint-friendly :)
I will receive pictures tonight, my contact took them already and is on the way.

One more information:
These cases are still raw material, without any coating (so no anti-scratch-coating yet).
That coating will be added during mass production, but the molds need to be 100% finished then.

So the cases will not look as good as the mass produced ones, but they should be nice already.
Once I receive them and (hopefully) can confirm they're physically perfect, mass production can be planned.

For some reason I thought the anti-scratch stuff was added into the plastic. Is there a chance it could cause issues with fit during assembly?

I know a few people mentioned this already, but please no paint this time, even if there are some imperfections.

For some reason I thought the anti-scratch stuff was added into the plastic. Is there a chance it could cause issues with fit during assembly?

Well, in a way it IS added into the plastic, that's why you can't do it before the mold is finished.
Basically, it's not in the FULL plastic, as it would change the material flow and it wouldn't make sense having anti-scratch coating inside the plastic.

I can imagine it's being added during production while the plastic is cooling off.

I know a few people mentioned this already, but please no paint this time, even if there are some imperfections.

That's something completely different, that was paint on top of finished plastic, not a coating.
We won't have any paint anywhere.

I'm confused, will it not be the outer coating that determines if the case is fingerprint friendly?

Last edited:
I also tought that the Pyra will get a Case from raw plastic, unlike the Pandora where they put black or silver paint on to cover the not realy perfekt mould issues..
But if the coating is scretch Resistent, and ditnt want to rubb of like the colour on my Pandora, than i will be fine..

Quick update: Those marks are the reasons they're trying a different material, as different materials behave differently.
More pictures hopefully tomorrow (my contact didn't find the time to visit them today).
Hmm... this is confusing. Does it make sense that they're only now experimenting with case materials to prevent the slumping? They must already have figured this out last month when they made the 50 cases that were destroyed by the courier. This Form Action entity is quite the enigma!

Anyway, it's great news that they're currently focussing their attentions on getting the cases right. :)

its my understanding that the scratch resistant coating is sprayed into the mold , molds clamped together ,plastic injected , mold unclamped, part removed then repeat......
though that is not the only way, it can be sprayed on after the parts are molded

Thanks, that makes sense then :)

THE COATING IS NO COLOR!

Should be clear now, should it? :D
Next batch of cases confirmed to be clear (again). ;) Still not sure if we will be able to get our preorders in clear cases (pretty cases can always come when/if there is enough money to do them). ED, thanks for the transparency. :p

On a more serious note, I didn't mean that the anti-scratch coating was like the paint on the Pandora. I meant that there are some warps and discoloration in the case pics we have seen so far, but I would rather have that than paint. I have a feeling that the case company will get it right in the end...but just in case, I vote "no paint this time".

I thought you mentioned wanting a metallic or sparkly addition added to the plastic to give it a more appealing look. Is this still the plan?

I have a lenovo laptop, that lid smells like a cat did a pee on it, I read somewhere it is due to this coating (if it is incorrectly mixed). Just to make sure: if you get the final case sniff it in addition to a visual inspection :).
Sounds like Switch cartridges. Could be a feature to stop babies/toddlers from chewing on it.

Some more update:

Apparently, the new material looks better and is less fingerprint-friendly :)
I will receive pictures tonight, my contact took them already and is on the way.

One more information:
These cases are still raw material, without any coating (so no anti-scratch-coating yet).
That coating will be added during mass production, but the molds need to be 100% finished then.

So the cases will not look as good as the mass produced ones, but they should be nice already.
Once I receive them and (hopefully) can confirm they're physically perfect, mass production can be planned.
I hope it's still made out of Polycarbonate. Because Bullet-proof, you know... ;)

It's funny I work with Polycarbonate where I work. We use it for a capping for lineal extrusion..

I'm really curious to see what the clear cases look like.

I hope it's still made out of Polycarbonate. Because Bullet-proof, you know... ;)
a bullet-proof Pyra would be awesome. new sales slogan " not only will they Pyra help you day to day but could one day save your life" :D

Toss in a few layers of Kevlar, too. That could prevent cracking issues that many of us are aware of with palmtops. It also might help ensure the "new batch" of cases makes it to ED...unless a volcano erupts, or something. Nah, there are none of those in Greece.

Back