Release UAE4All 2.0

Hi, I probably can't help you (currently my Pandora is out for repair/upgrade), but since nobody else is answering I wanted to at least show interest in the problem. :unsure:

Do you have an HD image (.hdf) for the emulator? I think I would try to first set up a hardfile (probably with WinUAE as you said) and go from there. If you already have something working under WinUAE I'd just try to get that .hdf to run on the Pandora?

(It's a loooong time ago that I did more than just booting games from .adf with any Amiga emulator ...)

I started to write this this morning, but had to pause until now:

@Wrath of Khan:

I'm not sure if I understand all your questions correctly. For example this one: "Does whdload have to be used with winuae?". Do you really mean "winuae" and seek support for that emulator on your MSWindows-PC or did you mean "uae4all" instead? Though the earlier of the two would be somewhat off-topic here, it wouldn't matter much as the procedure is pretty much the same).

I'm not aware of what you already know, but here are some general answers:

You don't necessarily need WHDLoad. It's a program that can be used in both - real Amigas and emulators - to install games to the Amiga-harddisc (the virtual harddisc if you are emulating an Amiga) that were not supposed to be installed. Additionally it automatically does to some extend do some automatic system-configuration (again: also on real Amigas) to e.g. make some Amiga500-games run on an Amiga1200, which would not work without it. So once you got it running it's a neat way of running games, as you don't have to swap discs and do other stuff. But it's not a necessity.

Especially for Banshee (at least not for the normal Amiga1200-version) you don't really need it as Banshee comes with a HD-installer on it's own. Still you would have to set up a virtual hard-disc in your emulator and install a Workbench-system. Without a virtual HardDisc/Workbench, you can still run adf-images by assigning their image files to the virtual disc-drives of the emulator. The only thing you need then is a working Kickstart-image for the emulator (It's kind of a BIOS or minimal disc-operation-system for the Amiga). There are many different Kickstart-version (if you count in all sub-versions) available, but you only need four of them at maximum (Kickstart 1.2, 1.3 , 2.0, 3.1).

About WHDload: The WHDLoad-homepage offers two different versions. A DEV-version, which you only need if you want to develop/create WHDLoad-installers (the scripts that install the games to the harddisc) yourself - this is not what you want. You just need the USR-version, existing install-scripts which can be fetched from the WHDLoad-site too and corresponding disk-images of the games. Unfortunately not every version of a disc-image works. Most of the times you need the original, uncracked games as far as i know. However you can spare that hassle if you search for preinstalled WHDLoad-game-images from a guy called "Killer Gorilla".

If you find these, then you just need to install the USR-package of WHDLoad to an existing Amiga-Workbench-harddisc-environment and unpack such an image to the a folder on the harddisc.

The whole procedure of configuring and setting up everything will look like this in short:

- set up your emulator. I recommend to get it going with all four versions of the Amiga-Kickstart.

- create a harddisc-directory. I personally prefer HD-directories over HD-image-files, because you can later directly unpack preinstalled WHDLoad-images to the HD-directory from your native OperatingSystem

- get all Workbench-disc-images, insert them one by one into the virtual floppy-drives of the emulator and install them to your virtual harddisc(-directory) from within the emulator. Note that there are different WorkbenchVersion just like Kickstart-Versions. Right now I can not remember which Workbench version I should recommend, but Workbench2.0 or Workbench3.0 should work. 3.0 might be needed for some AGA-Games, but I am not sure about that. Maybe they will also run on a Workbench2.0 with Amiga1200-kickstarts and the emulator set to all AGA-machine-settings.

Again you can try to get preinstalled Workbench-images from the net and I think some are even legal once, who do not share the copyrighted files, but request the copyrighted Workbench-disc-files while/after installing to copy these into the setup. One is called "Classic Workbench". It's been some time that I fiddled around with this.

- Once you get a working Workbench-environment, you need to install the USR-WHDLoad-package and again three versions of Kickstart-rom-images which you copy to a certain place on your virtual harddisc, as WHDLoad uses these for the automatic configuration-process i spoke about earlier. You should be able to find WHDLoad-install-instructions on the WHDLoad-homepage. If you got a liscence-key for whdload you will want to copy that to the corresponding folder on the harddisc too.

- And after that you have to do what I wrote in the "About WHDLoad"-section above. Either install the preinstalled WHDLoad-game-images OR get the WHDLoad-install-scripts and the gamedisc-images that work.

I hope this will help you at least a little. It's a bit hard to describe it in short and time-consuming to do it in detail. My recommendation is to do all this step by step. First enjoy some adf-games without Workbench/WHDLoad, then try to install the Workbench and install games that are meant to be installed (without WHDLoad) and after that try to get WHDLoad running. For each step you should be able to find existing HowTos on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks guys I will try to set up a virtual hardisk in my emulator and run workbench for now.thanks

@Lomax

All this can be done from within UAE4ALL, using HD files and running a full workbench with WHDLOAD installed ? Or has this strayed away into WInUAE.

So from all this I assume I can run my HD files I created and use in UAE on my Mac, yes ?

All this can be done within uae4all, yes.

When I tried to get WHDLoad running on the Pandora, I started with an existing UAE4ALL, which was already set up with the different Kickstarts and copied over an Amiga-harddisc-directory including WHDLoad that I set up years ago on my PC - not sure for which Amiga-emulator. That's why I can't recall any detailed description about stuff like the optimal Workbench-version or WHDLoad installation.

I remember that I had some problems specifying the path to the harddisc-directory from within UAE4ALL (not sure if the problem was me or UAE4ALL), so i manually edit the uae4all-configuration with an editor at "<appdata>/uae4all/conf/uaeconfig.conf" and modified the line containing "hard_disk_dir=" to match the location of the HD-directory:

Code:
hard_disk_dir=Workbench:/media/trans8/pandora/appdata/uae4all/Workbench

Also you should be able to use the HD-files with your MAC-UAE. At least it's worth a try. If you aren't already using fs-uae, you might want to take a look at it (http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/). I haven't tried it yet, because my outdated hardware is insufficient, but it looks promising.

@Lomax

Thanks for the reply, think I will stick to FULL Amiga emulation Hard Drives and such on my Mac and just keep the Pandora for playing game adfs.

Not played with FS-UAE since the first version, I now have 1.2.1 & v2 to play with :)

Very good news. Yesterday I've received these PMs:

TomB said:
Hi,

in the attached archive are some source files from your current version of UAE4ALL with bugfixes. With these changes, savestates can be loaded in most configurations. Currently not working: 4 MB fastmem, 8 MB fastmem, HD usage.

Not all configurations testet, but M68000, M68020, AGA and several memory sizes are working.

Regards,

Tom
TomB said:
Hi,

with this file, restore of savestates with every fastmem size works.

Regards,

Tom

Awesome - thanks a bunch, Tom! :)

I'll build and release the new build in the evening when I get home.

That's great, UAE4ALL is my favourite emulator, so it's always good times to hear of updates!! Is it savestates alone that are fixed, or are there further improvements to expect too? :)

New version is up now:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=uae4all

Not tested yet.

Removed uae4all1 FAME/C-version from the package because it shouldn't be needed anymore (Cyclone and UAE core version are still selectable).

Is it savestates alone that are fixed, or are there further improvements to expect too? :)
He also fixed a tiny bug in the GUI (stylus offset setting).

Hello. I'm new here and I do not have any konwledge about Pandora. But one person on other polish emulation forum give me info about this version of UAE4All, which should work on Android. I got tablet device called Pentagram Tab 8.0 with Android 4.0. UAE4Droid works ok but like we all know playing from adfs without hdf, AGA, Kick 3.1 etc emulation is misunderstanding. So with hope I downloaded latest available SDL UAE4All 2.0 beta 2. Unfortunetly when testing hdf with WHDLoad version of Franko I must say it is completly unplayable. Hdf loads very slow. Emulator works veeeeeeeeeryyyyyy slow. Really. Even ROM 3.1 screen shows diskiette animation really slow. I tried set Pandora CPU to 1000 MHz from 600, deleting configs and nothing happend. One plus is big onscreen controls. But how to speed up emulator? How to show menu without killing emulator process and run it again? Onscreen Android keyboard do not have Ctrl key like I read in EAB topic. Thanks in advice for any hint. I really want to find any fast working Amiga 1200 emulator with hdf support for Android and my device. And if I may have suggestion. On screen keyboard should be something like this in UAE4Droid with cursors, function keys etc. Thats all for niw. Sorry for my bad English.

There's something wrong with the new version in the repo. After restoring a saved state, there is no sound and you can't continue playing (tested with Hybris).

This doesn't happen with the version I compiled. We have to check the source files and the libs...

Regards,

Tom

Just tested with Hybris myself. Nope - saving&restoring works perfectly. You even fixed the issue where there was sound delay after restoring a state (so you had to enter and leave the menu to get rid of the delay). Very nice!

Maybe you've got an old uae4all1-config for Hybris in the appdata-folder which is incompatible?

Sounds good. Maybe there is a lib on my pandora, which causes the problem.

So, what to do next:

- Add restore of savestates with HD usage

- Better display of hires (currently, it's downscaled to 320 and later streched to 640 for display on pandora)

- Fix for HAM (already solved, but only tested for OCS/ECS, not for AGA)

So, what to do next:
- Add restore of savestates with HD usage

- Better display of hires (currently, it's downscaled to 320 and later streched to 640 for display on pandora)

- Fix for HAM (already solved, but only tested for OCS/ECS, not for AGA)
Great - I was hoping someone would pick the emu up and further improve it since I've lost the motivation to continue working on it (and I also don't have much time).

Looking forward to your improvements!

Btw., lubomyr from the Ukraine ported our UAE4All 2.0 to Android. I think he isn't going to sell it for money. So that'd solve the AnUAE4All-situation.

Hopefully Andy Finkel (the engineer formerly known as Anonymous) will return now to fix the multiplication or division bug in his 68020 implementation (Slam Tilt, Roadkill and others are affected by this bug).

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

This is great to see talented developers teaming up to improve this great emulator. Can't wait for next improvements! :)

Back