Release UAE4All 2.0

Update to last post: Tried old UAE4all-versions with both (uae and cyclone) cores with various settings. No improvement. Tried the new highes-UAE4all.pnd out of curiosity, but alas no improvement.

The only somewhat interesting thing i found out is, that if you press Enter and quickly press Enter again, then you can get out of the in-game-menu before it crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
New version up:

http://repo.openpand...ail&app=uae4all

TomB added HIRES-mode (Workbench doesn't look ugly anymore), improved the status line, fixed some bugs and cleaned up the quite messy sourcecode a bit.

You can change between lores and hires in the display settings menu or just use the shortcut [L]+[R]+W outside the GUI.

For convenience I added 3 new shortcuts:

[L]+A: change Amiga CPU speed (A500->A500T->A1200->A1200T)

[L]+C: custom controls on/off (handy if you have custom controls for a non-joystick-game but need the standard joystick controls to start it via TinyLauncher)

[L]+F: toggle frameskip 0/1 (frameskip 1 is still 25fps which means for some 3D games like Frontier or Alien Breed 3D that run at 25fps or less you won't miss anything)

Thanks once again.

In which situations would I want to use lowres instead of highres? Does hires demand more CPUpower? Do some games look ugly with lowres and so I will want to switch between theses two modes rather frequently?

I'm just trying to get some background-knowledge.

The impact to the performance is not a big deal, but you may see lower fps (2 or 3 frames) in some critical situations or games. Then you can switch back to lores.

I don't know, what games/demos using hires. Most games are using lores. I just want to get rid of the ugly workbench...

Most games are in lores so there is quasi no difference between hires and lores.

But it does make a little difference due to notaz' scaler. The picture looks slightly different if you have a 640x200 sdl_surface and scale it up to 768x480 or if you upscale a 320x200 sdl_surface.

Between 320x200 and 640x200 (upscaled to 768x480) the hires-version (640x200) looks sharper due to the scaler having less interpolation to do (tested with Wings).

But between 320x262 and 640x262 (upscaled to 588x480) the lores-version (320x262) looks sharper (tested with Pinball Fantasies).

The reason for this is probably because with hires there is an sdl_surface sized 640x262 which in order to fit into 588x480 has to be enlarged vertically but also must be shrunk horizontally.

With the 320x262 sdl_surface upscaled to 588x480 only enlargement happens.

That probably results in the hires-version looking more blurry in this case.

About the speed: the hires-setting doesn't demand notably more CPU-power. Shouldn't be humanly noticeable.

Ok I'm officially stuck with this.. :(

I have installed the latest UAE4ALL 2.0 and set the options as suggested :

Chip mem : 2m

Slow : 0m

Fast : 8m

CPU : 68020

Chipset : AGA

Kickstart : 3.1

CPU Speed : 1200 (also tried 1200T)

I have the roms in pandora/appdata/uae4all/roms/

kickstart in pandora/appdata/uae4all/kickstarts/

I have the 3.1 kickstart and have tried renaming it kick.rom and kick31.rom it is definitely the 512kb ROM

But every game I try and start I just get a black screen!! What is the black screen and how do I fix this?

I have confirmed my roms are good as they work on my Wiz

Any help please!

Did you set the options manually or choose A1200 ( or the A500 ) setting?

I have kick13.rom and kick31.rom in the kickstarts directory

You can put the games anywhere :)

If you want an A1200 just choose the A1200 option in the main settings and make sure you have a good verified working kickstart in the dir...and press right shoulder.. It should boot to the pink ( insert a disk ) screen..

Hi Stainy

Thanks for the reply, yes I can select A1200 option and press right shoulder I do get the disk insert screen, I then press Select and choose a .adf file for drive DF0: press Right shoulder again but get a black screen

My ROM says - 3.00 ROM 39.106

Mine is 3.1 ROM 48.863

Think you should try getting that one..

You'll get this running ;) it's a brilliant emulator :)

Thanks Stainy, ROM 3.1 worked a treat ;)

I've got a few games up and running, and surprised it was able to run some high end A1200 games such as Alien Breed 3D 2 (all be it slowly)

One thing I have noticed is the sound is very choppy on a lot of the games I run, for example Chaos Engine AGA the sound is choppy but the game play very smoothly. Reducing the sound quality and upping the Pandora mhz doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any tips for this?

I've found the sound seems to get choppy if you use the higer emulated speeds (eg A1200T), even on games that run ok using lower values, and it seems to be a constant pulsing of sounds rather than occasional choppiness (if that makes sense?)

I've found the sound seems to get choppy if you use the higer emulated speeds (eg A1200T), even on games that run ok using lower values, and it seems to be a constant pulsing of sounds rather than occasional choppiness (if that makes sense?)

This. Running Breathless at 950MHz with A1200T timings results in a reasonably smooth display update (playable, certainly) but the sound has gaps of silence in it, which makes no sense.

Also, I've noticed that inserting a disk re-sets the configuration (I had scaling set up and it gets set back to 640 width when I insert disk 2 - also the status line disappears). I'll try deleting the appdata again and see if it fixes it.

D.

If you go into the menu and back out , the hires modes get switched off and need to be reenabled...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Question regarding a specific game:

Whenever I reach level 27 of Giana Sisters, the screen goes black and nothing happens anymore. I can go back into the UAE4ALL menu and all, so the emulator doesn't crash. But the game seems to have a problem.

Does anyone have experiences with that? Is it a problem of the game, the game image, or with the emulator?

Giana Sisters is the main (and so far the only) reason, why I use UAE4ALL. My goal was to finish that game for the first time. As a child I have played it often, but only the first few levels when visiting friends ;-)

EDIT: Sometimes googling before posting would be good. ;-)

I now found out, that one (it seems it's the most common) game image of Giana Sisters out there has exactly that problem: Crashing at level 27. So new question: Does anyone have an intact image?

@hmc:

I haven't tried it at all, but if I were you, then I would try a pre-installed WHDload-image. I would expect good results from them. At least an increased chance of having a working version. ;)

Also just in the moment these ipf-files come to my mine. They are - similar to adf-files - disk-images of amiga-software but aim for 100% correctness (including copy-protections e.g.). Alas I have no idea if UAE4All can read IPFs. Also this of course will not necessarily help you if the problem existed with original copies of GreatGianaSisters.

Hello. I want to report about good fact in my case. Latest version of this nice emu works fine on my Pentagram Tab 8.0. Previous version was extreme slowly. But I have other problem right now. Games like SWOS or other which need longer press of fire are unplayable, because they do not recognise longer fire press at on screen joystick fire button. Can developers do something with that? Or maybe is it other way to play soccer games or other which need longer fire press. Thanks in advice for any reply. And sorry for my bad English ;)

P.S. version which I tested right now with Amiga 1200 config and hdf with WHDLoad games executed from GIBS TinyLauncher was installed from 20_uae4all2-sdl-13.apk - if it give hint.

hi there i've just received the pandora and i've installed the emulator, i've followed the tutorial to install it and i've downloaded a couple of roms in the suggested folder, but when i try to launch a game from the main menu of uae4all it crashes to the pandora desktop, what's the problem?

thanks for any help!

- Were did you get the emulator from? From here?

- Which format do the disk-image-files have? They should be .adf at the end.

- Which kickstarts-images did you use? What is their filename? Where did you place them? Related to this: What does the screen show when you start the emulator without a disk being inserted?

- Did you overclock the CPU of your Pandora?

hi, thanks for your reply

1) yes

2)adf yes

3) 1.3, kickstart 1.3.rom i've changed the name in kick.rom, i've put it in the folder pandora/appdata/uae4all/ that'ive created, when i start the emu i get the uae4all menu, when i try to add a game it crashes to pandora desktop-

4) no

Back