Release The Tube

I have to flash my pandora?

I got the pandora last month, but is this something I was always supposed to before using it?

Sorry for being tentative, but after receiving it last month, I had to send it back because of a faulty touch screen and only recently got it back! I don't mind flashing my Thinkpad T60p (well I did mind, but it worked out fine), but the pandora sounds a little scary.

If your Pandora has a new enough firmware there should be a network update under the system menu in XFCE called "Update Pandora OS".

And updating the firmware from scratch is nothing more than unzipping some files on an SD card and starting up the pandora in boot from SD card mode.. Instructions here: http://pandorawiki.org/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded pandora OS (didn't realize how much stuff was missing!) rebooted, then tried "the tube" again.

It still cant find the mplayer.

@worzyl

Have you seen on Youtube on my Video is the Howto how you install Mplayer into your Pandora OS.

(newer than the CodecPack Version)

Or download and install this:

http://openpandora.org/downloads/CodecPack.pnd

and after starting the PND will Mplayer and other Things be installed ^_^
Cheers! It's now working.

For anyone else unsure, I followed ingories advice and downloaded the codec pack (stuck it on my USB stick as my FireFox stopped working for some reason).

I then went to System -> Community Codec Pack Installer.

Funny thing is, this also fixed my FireFox and when trying to re-install those apps after deleting them(something to do with naming resolution?). I managed to re-install Firefox.

Is there a chance of getting a Firefox plugin?

The Tube starting and playing a video when it is clicked here on the boards or someplace else would solve most of our YT problems.

v5 on the repo...

Included is rudimentary support for a playlist. Note the mplayer playlist playback crashed on me when "gapless" option was enabled - so for now you will see the gui flash back up in between two videos. For tvout (omapfb) it seems to work fine, but let me know if you experience a crash (e.g. bringing down the X session...)

Good News,thx.

With your Solution can my Rebirth and GHZ Pandora now view 480p Videos smoothly.

Coooool ;)

(without extra Wifi Dongle)

tested the program but sadly, it doesn't run much better than youtube itself, means fine with 240p videos but dia show with 360+. Buffering seems a little bit better and at least the sound runs, but I only have a still picture when playing 360p videos. They run fluid for a second after starting or so but then nothing. Maybe Tube is not well prepared if you have slow WiFi, not sure.

But even when I pause the Video, wait and want to continue then, they just don't run under 360p, only single pics and only updated when I pause/play, very strange.

I have the last official firmware so mplayer shouldn't be that old, however, I don't have ran auto update for minor OS updates that seems to appear from time to time.

I also miss some GUI options that show more infos, Channels, sorting, maybe through a mouseover hover info or something.

But overall I would just be glad if 360p Videos would run on my Pandora.

@Fusion Power:

Some Pandoras have still Network Speed Problems....

...have you Informations about your Connection Speed?

Maybe i have a good Tip for you,tried it Yesterday and work fine:

Start The Tube PND and go with Thunar into /mnt/utmp/thetube/bin

then copy the File:

youtube-dl

to the Root of your SD Card.

-now close the Tube PND and open on the Root of your SD Card a Terminal

-now open Firefox or Qupzilla(i recommend Qupzilla because more Speed)

-Search a Youtubevideo you want to see and copy the Link of the Site into Clipboard

-now type in the Terminal:

youtube-dl
and paste the Videositelink,then press Enter.

You see your Network Speed then

Your Video is now Downloading onto the SD Card,but you must not let it download finish to play.

I mean you can play the downloading File with mplayer.

Wait a little for more Buffering onto the SD Card

Just switch to Thunar to you SD Card and choose the File and choose "open with"

then custom command:

mplayer -zoom
And enjoy your Video :)

When all that not work then recommend i simple to use a Wlan USB Stick ;)

------------------------------------------------------------

@Sepulep

Please can you add in the Next Versions a Paste Field where i can use copied Links from Browsers?

Example: Myspass will work fine(saw it with Spongebob in German last Evening)

And another Requests to your Software:

Can you add in any Way a Download Speed Status?

Or is ist possible to set the Buffering Time Manual for slower networking Pandoras?

Then can you set the Buffer higher with it ;)

Very good software from you B)

The Tube plays 360p videos fine on all my Pandori (FirstBatch, Rebirth and 1GHz) , however I have been lucky on the internal wifi on all three of them.

Have not tested download, only streaming. I can watch the videos on my PC so I don'tneed long taking downloads. Would be just nice if the Youtube streaming works on my Pandora. But somehow my WiFi is totaly screwed up. Slow, high CPU load when surfing, no matter which browser (don't know why that is the case). Speedtest says something ~40 KB/s but I can download faster (PND Manager etc. ), maybe up to 90KB/s Only surfing/streaming is incredible slow.

Really, "Pandora 2" needs MUCH BETTER WiFi or I will never buy it (if P2 ever happens of course).  I lost my interest in Pandora mostly, basicly because my WiFi is not usable, my WiFi external WiFi Stick doesn't work on my Pandora and overall, the Pandora feels just slow, everything takes ages, at least in Desktop mode, no real fun. If you see how much faster current iOS or Android Devices are, where everything is smooth and basicly instant, even on comparable CPU power like Pandora has, I am a little bit desperate.  

I don't blame "The Tube", I'm sure it runs perfectly on new 1GHz Pandoras but I guess I can forget my old and maybe faulty CC Pandora.

I know what you mean...

..normaly should be Wifi on such Devices work much faster.

Is that all even with the latest Updates?

When have you reflashed last Time your Pandora?

There are much much Wlan Patches included last Kernel Updates.

- Maybe another Antenna work better for you like this Pandora Wlan Antenna Mod:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13052-my-pandora-internal-wlan-mod-with-pictures/?p=246366

- Maybe Reflashing and updating help

- and last....did you tried to type in a Terminal and activated Wlan:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54m power off
Like in this Important Wlan Speed Thread:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/11416-wifi-mysteries-resolved-once-and-for-all-%E2%80%94-power-saving-is-clearly-the-culprit/#entry212602

Here another Wlan Improvement Mod:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/10476-wifi-issues-anyone/?hl=%2Bwifi+%2Btape#entry195208

I wish you the Best to speed up your Connection ;)

Aaaaand sorry for the Offtopic,when you want can we communicate over PN,

but i think that these Infos are important for some other The Tube Users.

Last Official Firmware Release, SuperZaxxon v1.55, nothing patched since then, I guess I should run the update script then.

Yes, I have a script for WiFi powersave off, sadly it doesn't work much better after. My WiFi is very jumpy, some days it works better than other days. Must be air moisture or Chem Trails or whatever... :D

Last Official Firmware Release, SuperZaxxon v1.55, nothing patched since then, I guess I should run the update script then.
Yepp that do i recommend you much,because there are many Wlan Patches in the New Firmware/Kernels ;)

Back