Release ChipMachine

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is ChipMachine,

preview1.png

A library of computer tunes.
previewA.png

You will need Internet access to download tunes.

/!\ If you have a CC model, update you driver to 4.04 or it will crash / not behave correctly /!\ => Use the terminal version

I haven't tested yet on Rebirth so I cannot tell if it work or not.

On Gigahertz, I had no issue with 4.03.02 drivers.

Also, it's quite memory hungry, so CC user will need a swapfile for certain type of tunes (the emulated ones).

It's an early software, it can crash sometimes, and some messages are missing (like when a music fail to download).

Also, the first launch can takes some time, be patient in front of the Black screen.

The keys are

Type words separated by spaces for incremental search

ENTER to play, SHIFT-ENTER to enque

F1 = Player screen, F2 = Search screen
F6 = Next Song, ESC = Clear search field, F8 = Clear playlist
F11 = Quit

History log
=========

build 05
-----------

• Fixed HVSC database
build 04
-----------

• Fix terminal version not launching
build 03
-----------

• Update sources
build 02
-----------

• Update sources
  • There is a version running in a Terminal now
build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • a few Pandora adaptations

Last edited:
Right now I use deadbeef to play chiptunes. Does this have the ability to load entire directory trees into the playlist?

Right now I use deadbeef to play chiptunes. Does this have the ability to load entire directory trees into the playlist?
You can't search for chiptunes within DeadBeef right ? This application is basically an interface to a chiptune library, as far as I understand.
Yep, not the same apps.

With DeaDBeeF, you browse your own Library.

With ChipMachine, you search Internet Library.

Last edited:
Can you recommend a tune that doesn't take up a lot of memory to try out? I've killed everything apart from deadbeef sitting stopped in the background, but it still warns me my GHz Pandora is short of memory, and every tune I've tried crashes it. I'd turn zram swap on but I can't for the moment remember the runes I need to invoke to achieve that.

Can you recommend a tune that doesn't take up a lot of memory to try out? I've killed everything apart from deadbeef sitting stopped in the background, but it still warns me my GHz Pandora is short of memory, and every tune I've tried crashes it. I'd turn zram swap on but I can't for the moment remember the runes I need to invoke to achieve that.
Search "IK ROB" or "COMMANDO ROB" for C64 classic that doesn't eatup much memory ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ptitSeb, I'm eager to try it when I get home but I expect some trouble as I've got a 1st batch pandora.

Still, thank you for porting my port request ^ ^

Might have to consider getting that GHz upgrade afterall....

Thanks, IK+ plays fine. Although, the second and third tracks in that 'album' are short sound effects, and on playing them the timer doesn't stop after reaching the end of the track, but keeps playing nothing to apparent infinity. Only a minor visual glitch though really.

Thanks, IK+ plays fine. Although, the second and third tracks in that 'album' are short sound effects, and on playing them the timer doesn't stop after reaching the end of the track, but keeps playing nothing to apparent infinity. Only a minor visual glitch though really.
Also, some music have "submusic". You see that because there is a [01/05] under the type (like "RTYPE Level 1 - Mark II" for example. To change submusic, use Left/Right.

Nice ptitSeb, I'm eager to try it when I get home but I expect some trouble as I've got a 1st batch pandora.

Still, thank you for porting my port request ^ ^

Might have to consider getting that GHz upgrade afterall....
Tu use ChipMachine, you will need to switch the video driver to 4.04, using Notaz package, and I sugest you use a small Swapfile also (like 256Mo), and you should have no issue.

But you will probably have to switch back to default driver to play, because the default are the most stable on the CC for most games...

New build on the repo, with latest sources.
There is now a Terminal version, that can be handy compared to the GLES2 Fullscreen version.

build 02
-----------

• Update sources
  • There is a version running in a Terminal now

Awesome that you wanted to do this for me. Thanks!
Auto detect doesn't seem to work so I understand why the 6581R4 was chosen as a default, that covers like 70% of the SID database and supports playback of digi samples.(
I tested it and the SID model is now indeed set on 8580D.
Unfortunately the digi boost seems to generate some ugly audio artifacts so for me it doesn't work out as I hoped it would. I think I'd prefer a regular 8580 instead then. No digi's as I appreciate the 8580's filter effects more :) (though some real nice tracks with samples are made)
Guess we'll have to choose... Same as the real hardware, it's why I have 2 64's set up too ;)

Ok, thanks for testing.
Not sure what should be the next step now (don't touch anything, change default to 8580, find something else)..

Setting my personal preferences aside I think it's best to just keep the one on the repo that's on there and hope the author will fix the auto detect or switches to another sid player in a future version. :)

Did I already mention the terminal player is awesome?

Yeah, that terminal version is very good!

Ok, for now, I don't touch, but for your info, I have updated the PND at the link with a version that use vanilla 8250, just in case :)

Chipmachine in terminal mode just crashed my Pandora, it locked up completely, no mouse, no keyboard, nothing... All I could do was a hard reset.
It happened when I tried some key combinations to quit the program (should be shift+esc)
I also found out that none of the keyboard short cuts work in terminal mode. Is that due to the state of the original program or does it have to do something with the port?

I communicated with the author of chipmachine about the SID auto-sense which was switched off, he acknowledged this issue and will most probably fix it in a future version.

Back