The tale of the cases

Some day when the case CAD files are published, someone needs to CNC machine a case out of wood. I would like mine made from a solid block of cherry wood please. Yeah, it would be more fragile than plastic, but cool factor 11 and all.
Can't you infuse the wood with some kind of resins to fix that?

I'm still willing, able, and eager to do the cases myself at the large plastics company I work for (New Berlin Plastics, Wisconsin USA). We have over 50 injection molding machines and do very very complex parts daily. We run 24 hours a day and I've been assured if you went with us I could do the Pyra cases myself, ensuring top quality.

We have tons of interesting materials of all kinds and I would be happy and excited to post my progress with pictures and video every single day.
[doublepost=1508826237,1508825801][/doublepost]I should note that I've already made this offer and ED has stated that shipping the moulds to Wisconsin would be very expensive (true! Those things are MEGA heavy) and that makes the idea impractical. Also I don't know what the cost would be for the parts. I'm not in the Sales side of this business hehe.

I'm just wishful thinking really. Hard to hear about these problems when I work for a high quality plastics manufacturer :(

Besides, how cool would it be to have the cases personally made by a major fan, open source enthusiast, 25-year Linux user, with a Tux tattoo and listening to OCRemix video game music on my first batch Pandora while I work? Especially as a future Pyra customer myself.

Last edited:
Ok, so the contact in Greece was supposed to pick up the molds today yesterday (I hope they had a back brace and bent at the knees if these things are as heavy as everyone says) and moved to the other company (hopefully they didn't get dropped along the way, mainly so they aren't damaged, but also toes...ouch!). Do we know if this happened, and do we have a new case timeline?

@trix, we all know the only reason you want to be involved in case production is so you can get a cool color no one else has. I can't let that stand unless I also get a unique case color.

Lol if I want a cool color I'll paint it. Adding coloring to the machine for a single (or a few) parts is a lot more work than it seems.

When we make parts of that size and complexity we make well over 1000 cases in a single day on a single machine, if we had to stop to make a few green cases and a few red cases and a few blue cases our material technicians and machine technicians would be wasting hours of their expensive time setting up the machine for the different colors. That said, we do it sometimes. I don't know what it costs but we do have the occasional customer wanting multiple colors.

As for moulds, each one is vastly different in weight, and not always related to the size of the part. We have moulds that barely weigh more than 100 lbs, and we have moulds that weigh around 12,000 lbs. The ceiling robot or a forklift (for the lighter ones) are about the only way to move any of them.

Anyway yeah I'd love to do the cases. I'd keep a few spares for myself if I could, or rescue some scratched ones from the scrap bin, but mostly I'd just make sure they're made with good material and on a good, modern machine.

And take lots of pictures!

Nice, I like big updates. My prediction:
  • 4GB ram issue has been identified (summary of tests performed, what worked and what did not)
  • Rework of PCB design in progress
  • Started moving case production to new company

The 4gb I guess(imho) will be solved, the cases are a special issue(specially the price). A modular computer with an icecream cone case is no good. (good, but not thaaat good)
If the plans are for modularity and long life, cases must be as best as possible.
I hope the new company can assure that, if not, something that is ok should work and we can all strive on the case informal marketing! :)
All is fine within my point of view. There are lots of geniuses into this project.

Looking every day at the mailing list, I can't see any other option regarding the CPU board.
Wish I'm wrong.
Reading between the lines on the mailing list archives, I think there'll be a delay while Nikolaus redesigns boards, they get made and populated and tested, and the ED or someone tests them. While Nikolaus sounds as confident he's found at least one of the issues I reckon ED will wait and see what that reveals, and not offer 2GB boards early. I think the improvements might make 2GB boards more stable under high loads as well, although perhaps not - they already survive a thorough memtest and that's pretty heavy on RAM by its nature.

How much delay will the move to the new injection moulding company cause?

Back