The grand day is nearing (2011-12-12)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Whew, finally.

The parts from CC have passed customs and will arrive tomorrow at Global Components.

All the other parts for the prototype run are already there, so we're planning to do the prototype run on Thursday.

This will be an exciting day for me - hopefully, we'll be able to produce working Pandora boards.

I will do some hardcore tests with some of the working PCBs then, like running N64 emulation overclocked with full brightness for 48 hours during the weekend, to see that everything works stable.

Once that has happened, it's time to order the PCBs for the mass production run!

Speaking of the mass production:

With the parts that arrive from CC, we've got most of the TI parts for 2000 Pandoras ready.

4000 nubs (for 2000 Pandoras) will be ready on December 30th, 1000 WiFi modules will ship on January 10th.

The RAM will ship about christmas.

All other parts are already here.

So we've got everything needed for the mass production PCB run.

And the rest of the parts needed for Pandoras?

Well, I bought off the remaining cases, batteries, keymats, etc. from Craig, which should be enough for the first 1000 units (well, actually 4000 batteries are more than enough).

Hopefully, he'll ship them within the next days so I've got them here on Friday.

I'll also get a new sample of the revised case (which hopefully will prevent some annoying cracks from appearing) from DSW within the next days.

Then it's time to order the next 4000 cases as well.

I still got 1200 LCD cables left, so it's also time getting more LCD Cables for February / March.

I still have to buy some LCDs and AC Adaptors for the first run, but we're working on that.

I don't know how many LCDs Craig will include in the package to me, so I don't know how many I need to buy for Batch 1.

And the TV Out Cables? Well, still waiting for a quotation and hopefully a sample before the end of the year.

Chinese New Year is in January, so we'll hope we have done most of that before that.

I'll keep you posted :)

ED, I have a question about the revised cases, if I may ask...

Will it be possible to have a Pandora with cracking issues re-cased in one of the new ones? (Mine's got a few at this point, and more are currently threatening to leave holes in the hinge!)

I think the grand day is already here! You don't have to work with CC any more! :D

But congrats, it should only get better from here!

Congratulations ED, best of luck for Thursday. These are exciting times in the world of Pandora. :D

I still think it might be worth talking to Craig and coming out with an official statement that lets people know how and in what general order their pre orders (with you & Craig) will be fulfilled.

Will it be possible to have a Pandora with cracking issues re-cased in one of the new ones? (Mine's got a few at this point, and more are currently threatening to leave holes in the hinge!)
Same here, would be very interested to know that, too.

Glad to hear things are moving along. Are all currently undelivered Pandoras going to be built by the new company?

Forgive me if this question has already been answered in past posts, I haven't been around enough to follow everything that's been going on.

I would be willing to pay for this upgrade. Better yet, for the enthusiasts... a full aluminium body.

I am willing to bet my own Pandora that the advocates of such an upgrade would provide sufficient income to justify the expense of a limited run aluminium body optional upgrade for a fairly pricely sum.

It might be something to consider for the 'relaunch' of the Pandora.

Sounds great, I hope the OPT has a happy happy Christmas filled with lot's and lot's of Pandora's and hopefully by the end of January many people will be getting their late but absolutely better then never Pandora's.

I sense a whole lot of no sleep for a few thousand people next year :p

Evildragon: Will you get pictures (and perhaps videos) from the production test run and from the new Pandora case? That would be very interesting for us to see how it works. I remember you wrote that the new company would let you do so, if I'm not mistaken.

Happy to hear good news, I keep my fingers crossed hoping everything goes smooth...

Thanks for keep us updated, Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great, I hope the OPT has a happy happy Christmas filled with lot's and lot's of Pandora's and hopefully by the end of January many people will be getting their late but absolutely better then never Pandora's.

please dont mention any charistmas release date for pandora hardware. thats pretty much a curse around here

please dont mention any charistmas release date for pandora hardware. thats pretty much a curse around here

Oh now don't be superstitious. :p

Since the Production is in germany, everything now seems to work like it was planed, a fresh new feeling in Pandora History. :D

Are you there, when they start to make the Prototypes, ED?

And do you still have to assemble all the LCD Cables in the future?

I would be willing to pay for this upgrade. Better yet, for the enthusiasts... a full aluminium body.

I am willing to bet my own Pandora that the advocates of such an upgrade would provide sufficient income to justify the expense of a limited run aluminium body optional upgrade for a fairly pricely sum.
Would be cool and maybe not that expencive but a big problem would be to make the WiFi Antenna work through the Alu Body. ;) I already thought that maybe the LCD Screen could be big enough to make WiFi possible but I don't know how well it would work through the LCD screen as only metal free window for the Antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back