So Where Is The Pandora In The Press?

may88

I subscribe to Retro Gamer. A UK based retro gaming magazine. It was here I first became aware of the Gp32 and Gp2x.
I guess there is only so much history to go round so some of the content is wii/ps3/xbox. Lots on iphone/itouch retro/brew games (tempting).
Nothing at all (that I've noted) on the Pandora.

Pc Plus ran an artical about how Opensource Hardware is almost here. We I had to agree with that. The main bent of the piece was lower cost and open use. Not sure the pandora falls into the first category (but I understand and accept why not). Still no mention. :(
Some nice projects though. Frankencamera RepRap and of course arduino and good old wikipedia has this to ofter (uzebox look interesting).

Anyway, is it that we're not on the radar (we're not shouting loud enough) or everyone is ignoring us?

Edit: uzebox looks to be dead.
Edit: Nothing like research. sorry. :rolleyes:

It is surprisingly difficult to get the attention of the press if you are not placing thousand pound adverts in their magazines.

Best I remember is someone getting into the letters thing who mentioned the Pandora, nothing from the editors themselves, which is unfortunate.
Of course, I could be remembering wrong. I do that a lot.

I seem to remember a little box-out about the Pandora in an issue of Linux Format some months ago. Unfortunately it was at the bottom of a page that appeared to be hyping a project that scarily resembled the Infinium Phantom, below a heading saying that some other Linux-based consoles existed that had "failed to set the world on fire", if memory serves.

All in all it reminds me a bit of their later review of the Wiz, which is apparently made by Green Park Holdings. :p

I think there will be a huge, probably brief burst of blog coverage when the device is actually out. There's really no point in trying to get more press now anyway.

I'm press, and the Pandora is very much on my radar. I even bought one to support the team and guarantee that I would have one available to both produce an initial review and maintain ongoing coverage.

I may run what amounts to a small blog-style site, but my Dingoo A320 review really exemplifies how big a wedge I can drive into a niche market.

A long time ago: Was in the german magazine "Mobile Gamer" a artikle about the other Handhelds: the pandora, and the wiz, it was on the news site, i dont now where i have these magazine, but there was a artikle.. :)

Probably easier to get the attention of the press once the Pandora is in the wild. Then it depends IMHO on the quality of the completely legitimate software (homebrew, open source ports etc), as I would doubt that the mainstream press is going to publicize the possibility of emulation. Can you imagine, for example, Jason Bradbury on the Gadget Show waxing lyrical about being able to play an illegally downloaded ROM on MAME? I'm not saying that the Pandora is in anyway an illegitimate product as the legality is purely down to the users choice of software as with any computer. I just saying that a bit of care needs to be taken with waht we present to the press. To few QUALITY games and Pandora appears to be just a PDA. To many lower quality games and the Pandora might seem like a cheap chinese import.

Wookiee said:
Can you imagine, for example, Jason Bradbury on the Gadget Show waxing lyrical about being able to play an illegally downloaded ROM on MAME?

And this is precisely the problem with "mainstream" press. They need to grow a pair, stop relying on backhanded astroturfing payments and start exercising a journalists right to express the truth which we should be able to do without fear of being shit on. Oh, and they also actually need to do some "journalism" instead of just paraphrasing press releases and calling them "hands on" like *cough*apple*cough*fking*cough*insider.

How can a man who motivates people into racial hatred be allowed to express his views on television, yet a lowly journalist must fear the result of harping on about how awesome it is to use the Pandora as a classic emulation platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
WoD said:
Wookiee said:
Can you imagine, for example, Jason Bradbury on the Gadget Show waxing lyrical about being able to play an illegally downloaded ROM on MAME?

And this is precisely the problem with "mainstream" press. They need to grow a pair, stop relying on backhanded astroturfing payments and start exercising a journalists right to express the truth which we should be able to do without fear of being shit on. Oh, and they also actually need to do some "journalism" instead of just paraphrasing press releases and calling them "hands on" like *cough*apple*cough*fking*cough*insider.

How can a man who motivates people into racial hatred be allowed to express his views on television, yet a lowly journalist must fear the result of harping on about how awesome it is to use the Pandora as a classic emulation platform.

I agree. This issue doesn't need to be some kind of dirty secret.

Some of these games are now being licensed to appear on various smart phones. At least talking about it, exposing the demand might put some pressure on the copyright holders to come up with some legal ways of getting hold of these ROMs or running them on other platforms. You also showing another generation some fantastic addictive and very playable games. You'd be showing off their product.

As much as I sometimes enjoy watching the Gadget Show. You can see bias in the way they sometimes rate things. Can equally imaging Jon Bentley giving the Pandora a rating of two Gs because it doesn't run Windows 7 or something equally as irrelevant.

I look at emulation a little like iPods and your old CDs - rip the music you already own and play it on the ipod, so what is wrong with ripping your old PSX CDs and playing those on the Pandora?

Are there arguments for this already?

craigix said:
I look at emulation a little like iPods and your old CDs - rip the music you already own and play it on the ipod, so what is wrong with ripping your old PSX CDs and playing those on the Pandora?

you're totally right :)

craigix said:

+1 - it's "format-shifting" to me, as well. :p

craigix said:

why are you posting on the forums instead of giving your talk at lrl? :(

craigix said:

I guess the only hole I'm seeing with this argument is that CDs are already made to be listened to on players made by various companies, and those players come in both standalone and portable versions. A PSX CD is designed to play specifically on one console. Sony of course has added it's own emulation in later consoles to play old technologies on newer Sony systems, but as far as I know, they've never licensed the tech to a third party or given permission to play it through third party software. Now if Sony had licenced it's PSX architecture to third parties and we were all able to go out and buy Samsung, Apex, and Coby PSX players, emulation of that architecture would probably be much less of an issue. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fully onboard the open architecture mindset and believe I should be able to play my rips of THPS on my toaster if I so please (because I bought it, and it's mine), but these are the types of things we should be aware of when praising the fight. Advance of apology if I'm derailing this to an emulation legality topic and I advise this thread be closed if it gets heated.

banjeed said:
craigix said:

I guess the only hole I'm seeing with this argument is that CDs are already made to be listened to on players made by various companies, and those players come in both standalone and portable versions. A PSX CD is designed to play specifically on one console. Sony of course has added it's own emulation in later consoles to play old technologies on newer Sony systems, but as far as I know, they've never licensed the tech to a third party or given permission to play it through third party software. Now if Sony had licenced it's PSX architecture to third parties and we were all able to go out and buy Samsung, Apex, and Coby PSX players, emulation of that architecture would probably be much less of an issue. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fully onboard the open architecture mindset and believe I should be able to play my rips of THPS on my toaster if I so please (because I bought it, and it's mine), but these are the types of things we should be aware of when praising the fight. Advance of apology if I'm derailing this to an emulation legality topic and I advise this thread be closed if it gets heated.

Thats the thing isn't it. The common sense argument is that if you own a copy of some software (game or whatever) its your copy you run it on what you want. Then there the legal argument, which isn't necessarily common sense. However I don't see what can be done if some of us choose to use emulators, ROMs etc. Nobody has gone after every PC and laptop manufacturer, or after Microsoft for that matter to try to stop these applications.

Its the common sense argument that I support by the way.

parag0n said:
craigix said:

why are you posting on the forums instead of giving your talk at lrl? :(

what talk? someone tweeted me about doing one but no one ever got back to me about it.

Back