The Gp2x Is Dead!

jbrodack said:
that said I do kinda fear how they would go about making a new console especially since they have lost touch with the community. Maybe they could try to increase communication again to get ready for their new system.
Gp2x community become impure because of the pandora.
They do not need to contact spoiled mass in order to make perfect opensource gaming device.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
They do not need to contact spoiled mass in order to make perfect opensouce gaming device.
smileyrope.gif
smileyrope.gif
smileyrope.gif
smileyrope.gif
smileyrope.gif
smileyrope.gif

quasist said:
jbrodack said:
that said I do kinda fear how they would go about making a new console especially since they have lost touch with the community. Maybe they could try to increase communication again to get ready for their new system.
They do not need to contact spoiled mass in order to make perfect opensource gaming device.

To my (quite simple, admittedly) mind the GP2X is perfect. It plays vids, has decent sound through earphones and has a simply staggering amount of software.

I'm pretty sure my GP2X will give up the ghost before I get to try everything available, which is a shame. I felt the same way about my Atari ST.

I can't see what the fuss is about. The GP2X might be dead regarding production but there isn't any alternative machine until Pandora comes out which is a good few months away. We will still have updated emulators and homebrew for the machine. Heck, we were still having new and updated stuff for the GP32 way after the GP2X was launched.

Wow, just been a month since I didnt check around here, and what do I see? GP2X seem to be out of production 8-(.

Even worst now it seems GPH is really dead! I just tried to check their site to see if they had any kind of news and low behold WWW.GP2X.COM aint reachable 8-(.

Anybody have any other news?

@Lurkio

Ahhh you also see that warning like me? ;-), yah on the PC in the past I use to get a popup from my antivirus saying they were a file infected with a firus (from what I remember it was one of the image on the site).

But now it seem the site is quite dead, though dev.gp2x.com still work.

After further investigation I find out that the original korean site is still up and running and even see people post on their web boards as late as yesterday.

You can check it out the GPH web site here

Anyone understand korean to see if people on the web board talk about the GP2X F200 is no longer in production and the status of GPH?

I wouldn't be so quick to equate end-of-production with end-of-life, especially for a device that has an enthusiastic community built around it. Just look at the Amiga and the Dreamcast. Development for both those systems long outlived their physical manufacturing lifespan. Both systems relied as much on enthusiastic user-developers as commercial developers even while they were still being made. They kept on going as long as there was a community that supported them. The GP2X will likely live on here long after production shuts down.

the question is, will the community move over to the pandora?
reasons why it could.
1. power.
2. controls.
3. UMPC capabilities.
the only thing i could see disuading people from doing so is that they would have to pay 330$ to join, but i do not doubt many would switch in a couple months.

waffles said:
reasons why it could.
1. power.
2. controls.
3. UMPC capabilities.
the only thing i could see disuading people from doing so is that they would have to pay 330$ to join, but i do not doubt many would switch in a couple months.
1. "Power of emulating 10year old games"(except a GBA)
2. In FPS they only support Q3 and more primitive shooters since there missing another two shoulder buttons.
3. UMPC = "shit on gaming device". Asus EEE PC already has more needed software.

Clamshell pandora desing ... to make display lick joysticks???

quasist said:
waffles said:
reasons why it could.
1. power.
2. controls.
3. UMPC capabilities.
2. In FPS they only support Q3 and more primitive shooters since there missing another two shoulder buttons.
3. UMPC = "shit on gaming device". Asus EEE PC already has more needed software.

Uh...Ok quasist :rolleyes: .

Sphinxter said:
quasist said:
Ack! If a pandora will do that they should be charging a lot more.

By "joysticks" I meant pandora's analog nubs, you pervents :unsure:

quasist said:
waffles said:
reasons why it could.
1. power.
2. controls.
3. UMPC capabilities.

what?
last time i checked, running firefox and ps1 games easily is newer than 10 years ago.
eh? Q3 is primitive? and usb gamepads/mice can be used.
3. the EEE is also about 4x the size and 200$ more expensive, its kinda hard to compare them.
and really, clamshell design is awesome.
works for laptops and the DS, works for me.

quasist said:
Sphinxter said:
quasist said:
Ack! If a pandora will do that they should be charging a lot more.

By "joysticks" I meant pandora's analog nubs, you pervents :unsure:

The real question is where can we get a couple of those displays. :eek: I think you have some very valid points, particularly the shoulder buttons and this could very well flop just as easily as it could soar. Emulation alone with no unique or first party titles, head of Sony Shuge says it won't have a prayer like that and I tend to believe him. Aside from a few perverts naked Barbie would not sell very well without the all the clothes and fittings.

Back