The Gp2x Is Dead!

From what I hear, GPH is at least thinking about it...
Aren't they looking at that successor chipset to the MagicEyes2?

-------------------------------------PSP
-others.
--------------------------------------------------GBC
im really, really, really sorry, guys, but it had to be done.
it had to.

..........................|-------------------XGP
GP32----------------
..........................|-------------------GP2X----------------Wizard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pandora----------------Skynet

:ph34r:

Orkie said:
It isn't too radical, they've been calling it that for a while now :p
I'm just waiting for someone to post those photos which are doing the rounds. I can't wait for the thread based on those. It's going to be comedy gold when people see it, or rather what is missing from it. I still doubt even GPH could seriously be planning to release it in its current form. I hope the photos are some kind of fake information.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'm just waiting for someone to post those photos which are doing the rounds. I can't wait for the thread based on those. It's going to be comedy gold when people see it, or rather what is missing from it. I still doubt even GPH could seriously be planning to release it in its current form. I hope the photos are some kind of fake information.
Something missing? With GPH's track record, that could be anything from forgetting that everyone likes d-pads to forgetting to install a screen.

Anyway, what's stopping you from posting the pics, other than because you're an awful tease? :p

They are not, nothing to do with the machine is, not even the name (though you've seen to that anyway).

I have seen pics of the so-called "Wiz" at http://zodttd.com/index.php?/archives/17-R...k-Holdings.html , but that's probably old news by now. I hope Orkie is right and this has nothing to do with GPH's plans.

I am curious what GPH will do... I will not buy a Pandora until I know if GPH will release a successor to the GP2x. I will stay loyal at them, unless they really come out with a machine that is not a improvement to the GP2x at all.. or if they release nothing of course.

palmertech said:
My goodness....Are those...2 DPADS?!? WTF are they thinking? XD
Are you sure this is real as it looks like it wouldn't be much of a redesign, or improvment for that matter. It looks like someone just photoshoped a GP2x.

Maybe it would at least be a half hearted atempt if they actual did a major internal redesign with alot better quality assurance (or at least pick better quality parts.

arcadeaction said:
I have seen pics of the so-called "Wiz" at http://zodttd.com/index.php?/archives/17-R...k-Holdings.html.

What's up with all the urine named systems, man. The Wii, the Wiz, the Pandora II or Pii... I'm going to release a system called the Portable Player - or PP for short. Or maybe Sony will come out with the Play Interactive Station or PIS... Forget the abbreviations, let's just build a Tinkle, or the BEST SYSTEM IN THE UNIVERSE - the Number One!

Ok - I overdid all that, sorry... (That's what the delete button is for, Chad. Pshaw! <_< )

Anyway, I like the second D-pad better than the screwed up ABXY pattern. Although, how do you press 2 "buttons" at the same time? Like run and jump? Unless it's a "False D-Pad" as they are known for from what I've read here, in which case it'll work.

Wait-and-see... That's what I wanna do. I doubt I'll get one, (since I haven't gotten a GP32 or a GP2X), but, we'll see. Price plays a big part.

I think it looks fine, except for the dual dpad which could cause problems. If they fix that then they might have a winner on their hands because it's fixing like 4 other problems with GP2X right off the bat - granted, its design is very similar to one of the Chinese PMPs we've been seeing, but the dpads actually look like they could be good to use.

I'm not personally a fan of shrinking everything (especially the screen), but people have been asking for a GP2X mini and this appears to be exactly that, minus backwards compatibility. But porting from GP2X to it will probably be a snap.

Orkie said that these pics and information were never meant to be public, not that they necessarily have nothing to do with GPH.

If it is real we should all email GPH and tell them to add 4 real buttons unless there is some magic way of pressing 2 together on that second dpad?

It does look like a cheap chinese PMP though, not half as nice as the GP2X. Maybe they still have time to change this design if we let them know what we think now?

Even if it is a "real" d-pad, you normally only need to press buttons that are close to each other at the same time, in which case it'd be just like hitting diagonals. I think it looks good.

craigix said:
If it is real we should all email GPH and tell them to add 4 real buttons unless there is some magic way of pressing 2 together on that second dpad?

It does look like a cheap chinese PMP though, not half as nice as the GP2X. Maybe they still have time to change this design if we let them know what we think now?
That may not go down too well if it's supposed to be under wraps for now, it could piss them off somewhat... Or is that the idea?

Back