The case of the case.

^ needs different moulds because the plastic behaved differently with different dyes :(

^ needs different moulds because the plastic behaved differently with different dyes :(
I'm pretty sure that molding technics exist to use various colours with one and the same mold. Everything else would be extremely unprofitable. Imagine LEGO needs one mold for every colour one and the same brick can have. ;) I'm sure they can match up the different plastic colours to have plastic with equal properties.At the end the colour does not matter for molding, except you want special kind of plastics maybe like transparent or fibre enhanced or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least lego moulds are small, but I'm no expert of plastic moulding, so you're probably right :)

That is a valid concern, not because it is necessarily true, but because it could be.

Once a mass production colour is known to hold, use that for the entire first production run?
If this is the case, and ED wants to offer multiple colors, later runs of  can be done in other colors and available to those who want them.  Alternately, maybe do one color per year after testing to ensure it meets the standards.

There is always the option to print a case in the color an individual wants, although I do not know how the quality will compare.

Best bet is just to have all cases be metal! :p

Metal will interfere with things like 3G/4G. Just do carbon fiber and sell skins. :p

Oh, here we go...carbon fiber with a metal frame!!!  That would solve the weak plastic issue with the screws, too.

Still looks iffy to me, remember the new Nubs have a shroud on the under side to keep it from falling out. this shroud is larger than the hole for the Nubs and my guess have a few millimeters of throw when moved into a specific direction. Also you need to account for the supporting material of the buttons and the space needed for the rubber material of the keymat.

Here's my first attempt at the 6-button mockup. The buttons are slightly out of place, but even this feels pretty good when I use it:

http://t.co/2smkj5kjob

-God Ginrai
Just nudge the top 3 buttons to the right a bit. Looking back at the past arrangement, the spacing is much better here.

Here's my first attempt at the 6-button mockup. The buttons are slightly out of place, but even this feels pretty good when I use it:

-God Ginrai
I'm happy that you can begin.  Most user comforts will require keeping the first four buttons in a perfect cross.  You should use DS Lite sized buttons for the other two, to easier allow this.  I keep thinking I'm seeing the word charizard in my post and having to change it.

-God Ginrai
Just nudge the top 3 buttons to the right a bit. Looking back at the past arrangement, the spacing is much better here.
I was thinking more if the (Y) and the lower (B ) were aligned 45 degrees of one another and both were nudged very little to the Northwest.

I was thinking more if the (Y) and the lower (B ) were aligned 45 degrees of one another and both were nudged very little to the Northwest.
I see what you are saying, but I was keeping this in mind.
remember the new Nubs have a shroud on the under side to keep it from falling out. this shroud is larger than the hole for the Nubs and my guess have a few millimeters of throw when moved into a specific direction.

I was thinking more if the (Y) and the lower (B ) were aligned 45 degrees of one another and both were nudged very little to the Northwest.
I see what you are saying, but I was keeping this in mind.
remember the new Nubs have a shroud on the under side to keep it from falling out. this shroud is larger than the hole for the Nubs and my guess have a few millimeters of throw when moved into a specific direction.
Is this shroud the black disc the nub adheres to as shown in the Pyra Prototype video? It does look like this platform moves around a bit independent of the nub.

Is this shroud the black disc the nub adheres to as shown in the Pyra Prototype video? It does look like this platform moves around a bit independent of the nub.
It is the lower part of the black disc.. I called it a shroud for a lack of a better term for it. As you can see it's a bit larger on the section that resides under the case so it doesn't pop off. Thus these new nubs require a bit more space underneath than the Pandora Nubs.. If the claims are true, these nubs are vastly superior to the Pandora nubs in respect of quality and accuracy so it's worth the hassle.

I wish the wonderful new nubs would be moved just a collective centimeter closer to the center.

Hey guys, I'm going to try to make a more refined revision tomorrow night. I'm hoping for it to end up looking more like this:

revision_hope.jpg

As for the shroud, that's something I can't measure, since this is a Pandora case and no new nub parts came with it for me to compare it with. If this does somehow conflict with the shroud, I believe the next question to ask would be "by how much?". If moving the shroud slightly inward facilitated a button layout that most everyone could agree on, then that is certainly worth considering.

-God Ginrai

For all of the reasons that have already been stated repeatedly, no.

ED's 4+2 layout is a better option.  I understand that case design is moving forward with the 4+2.  Done is done.

Next?

Back