The case of the case.

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

Ok, but their opinion only matters as far as the feasibility of that design. You can't apply it to a correct design. There are significant differences.

Ok. Would you be able to send me DS Lite buttons as well? Or do I need to procure those? What kind of mod does it need to be? Just the buttons in the case so you can place your fingers on it? (I'm not sure how I would make the buttons press in without falling out)

-God Ginrai

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Just the buttons in a case so I can test how they feel. We got the DS lite buttons for 2 EUR off ebay, but we can get another set for you.

3. Hồng Thất Công

Hồng Thất Công Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp

We are gonna have a DS Lite button shortage soon :)

4. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I really appreciate everyone's effort on finding a layout that works for as many people as possible.  I strongly support the 6 button layout, and the 4+2 is better than nothing, but I want to get away from that for a moment.

I mentioned somewhere that in the past the small size of buttons on portables was an issue affecting comfort and playability for me (and I have narrow thumbs compared to many, it seems).  I want ED to strongly consider the design of the buttons themselves, not just the layout.  A good amount of height on the buttons to clear the case will be required to ensure usability, at least for me.  I don't know that this will fix any of the weaknesses people have been discussing, but it might avoid problems for some people later.

Unfortunately I no longer have a DS Lite.  I just did a comparison of an original GBA, an original DS and my Pandora.  I would prefer a more flat top while maintaining the case clearance we have with the Pandora, but even the current buttons are ok (have concave buttons, such as on the NES and X and Y on the American SNES controllers been considered?).  The Pandora seems to have the best button height/case clearance of the three.  The DS has the problem of both small buttons and very little clearance, compared to the other two.  Since DS Lite buttons are being used to test 6 button layouts, if one of those is chosen please don't give us short little buttons.  Also, if we get 4+2 can we also get decent button height with all buttons, including the little guys?

Another fun option: if they have proper clearance in the Pyra case NES/SNES/DMG Game Boy buttons can be used, so that we can easily swap them with the many buttons currently available.  Yes, I know they are bigger than the Pandora buttons, so I don't expect this to really be considered.

5. FaeMinx

FaeMinx Rainbow Liberation Instigation

@GG If you are confident you can do the mod, please do.

I also offer my services if need be, but would likewise need a case and buttons.

Biggest issue is getting them to me in South Africa - could take a while.

6. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

I wouldn't say I'm confident. I have no experience with this kind of thing. However, if doing it can help convince EvilDragon to use the layout, then I'm willing to try it.

-God Ginrai

Glyph Reader likes this.
  7. Tenka

Tenka Snakes and Fish

I have a bunch of DS Lite parts, but I don't know the distance between our locations, they may not be able to reach you as quickly as an Ebay item.

8. Glyph Reader

Glyph Reader Member

Let it be known that (however little it counts) I support you. 

-Glyph Reader

9. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

I'm in the Southeastern US, where are you, Tenka?

-God Ginrai

Tenka likes this.
  10. SoleGrave

SoleGrave Member

A 6 button face with 2 shoulders sounds great.  I would prefer it for the various arcade games and hopefully full speed Sega Saturn emulation. If this is not possible, a 4 button face with 4 shoulders is fine too.  Pandora's 4x2 was surprisingly functional. 

I would like to address possible strength/design issues in the Pandora case (not that there are many with the silver cases).  I think the shoulder buttons have tendency to lodge inside the unit under accidental force, sometimes between the halves of the case. Has this happened to anyone else?

11. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I had some shoulder button sticking when I first got mine.  A half turn with a screwdriver fixed it and it hasn't happened since.

12. Glyph Reader

Glyph Reader Member

If GG ends up not being able to make a working case mod, what will the layout be?  Is it the 6-button layout that ED made, or the classic 4-button layout? 

-Glyph Reader

13. Tenka

Tenka Snakes and Fish

Likely the 6-button layout that ED made, since ED made it and he doesn't want to test anything else without a strong reason for costs.  At least a couple people would appreciate devoted zooming in and out on webpages.

Also God Ginrai, I'll PM you.

cuetzpalin likes this.
  14. Wrath Of Khan

Wrath Of Khan Soul soother...

If god ginrais proposed layout is unfeasible then im fine with eds layout.

4 shoulder buttons is loads anyhow.

The pandora has also caused a sharp pain to develop in my fingers after perhaps 30 mins of playtime or less.

These things are sometimes relative to finger or hand size too though.

Ed says he finds the vita uncomfortable after an hours play.

I think its the most confortable portable ive ever used.

The face buttons work fine for me even if they are small.

Again these things may vary according to finger and hand size.

The vitas face buttons require some time to get used to though imo.

15. Glyph Reader

Glyph Reader Member

...which is why we should have exchangeable layouts!!!1!one

Well, I can live with ED's layout quite nicely, even if I keep having lucid dreams of using GG's layout...

-Glyph Reader

16. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

The most comfortable portable I've ever used (if counting a portable+accessory counts) was the DS Lite+Nerf Case. It had the perfect thickness and shape, IMHO.

-God Ginrai

17. Natsu

Natsu Advanced Member

So, any updates on the 6 buttons?

18. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

I'm waiting on the parts.

-God Ginrai

Glyph Reader, Natsu and comradekingu like this.
  19. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Please tell me the final production cases will be that same lovely shade of blue!

20. FaeMinx

FaeMinx Rainbow Liberation Instigation

^ I hope not!

=~. O =

cuetzpalin likes this.