The All New Pandora Status Update

Thank you Chip.
Really good job.

I just received my reorder mail. I don't know how to make online transfers. I'll check it out.

I still love this project and the people involved :)

Thanks for the update Chip, very informative and up to your usual high standard. Hopefully this will keep people happier and more relaxed.

I understand somethings cannot be declared specifically, like ship dates. I do think it would be best for everybody though if at some point over the next week, ie November that a view is given as to when shipping in numbers is expected. This could be laced with a number of caveats "we hope to start delivery.... if this works...if that works...as long as t'other doesn't happen". Everyone wants to know if there is any chance of Pandoraing over Christmas and New Year, if there is only a 10% chance then we all know where we stand. If people think they cannot wait and have their cash tied up for a total of 3.5-4 months they ought to be able to have the refund. Personally, I'll wait if I have to - I want an A1 spec Pandora. It would be 'fair', 'honest' and avoid further criticism, especially as you have 'confirmed' a delay of most of a month in this update.

Chip said:
We still only have approximately 400 LCD panels on hand right now
OK, which one of you devs dropped the other 240 LCD panels? ;)
Edit: ooops! Sorry didn't mean to double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Even with everything going on, the Pandora will still ship before the Wiz. They've pushed their ship date back to February.
*cough* ...knock on wood...

(I ordered in the 3000+ range and was already expecting my Pandora to be delayed until at least late February. It would be nice to get a pleasant surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.)

I think I'm in the top 200 so I'm praying for a christmas eve delivery!!!!!!!!!! How cool would that be.

Thanks Chip, nothing like 'good' information to satisfy a few people!

Shame a few people are pulling out but I'm sure those units will be snapped up quick sharp.

thanks for the information chip. the delays dont bother me too much i would rather have a product with less problems than a rushed product

Chip said:
Even with everything going on, the Pandora will still ship before the Wiz. They've pushed their ship date back to February.
No worries, I know that I could get my pandora before feb (i was late on the preorder^^) but I feel unconfortable with all theses things going on, and also more I read the forum more I see that maybe the pandora is not what I want, I mean I want an open gaming device just like the GP32 or the GP2X and i think (for me) that the pandora will do too much things, like a "real micro laptop" as said in the mail and I really dont need to run firefox , thunderbird or more, i just want to simply play good homebrew games, emulator , etc... thats it. I really hope everything will go fine for everybody.

salasq said:
I found an article in Gizmodo today that nicely explains why I'm willing to wait until my Pandora is done right.
We're certainly going to make sure the hardware is done right, but if you're expecting flawless, release-ready software on day one, I have some bad news for you.

I agree with the Gizmodo article to a certain degree. Microsoft, Sony and RIM have many well-paid software engineers working on their products. They don't have any excuse for shipping devices with unfinished software. The Pandora is a completely different situation. We don't have any software engineers on the payroll. All of the software on the Pandora is community-based. You can't really (at least you shouldn't really) expect bug-free software out of the box.

Those of us who were around when the GP32 and GP2X first came out have a pretty good idea what it's going to be like. The rest of you should at least be aware that the software is going to be a bit rough for the first few months until all the bugs are ironed out.

That's half the fun! Still, the Pandora will have a leg-up on the GP32 and GP2X, with the options of using established OSes/apps like Angstrom & Gmenu.

GunPei2X said:
That's half the fun!
I couldn't agree more. It was so great checking GP32X's home page every day and seeing new software become available. It was great.

-God Ginrai

I never experienced that with GP32 and didn't have a GP2X. It's one of the main reasons for sticking around for the past months and being determined to get in on the pre-orders.

Chip said:
We're certainly going to make sure the hardware is done right, but if you're expecting flawless, release-ready software on day one, I have some bad news for you.
I don't think there are too many here who take 'homebrew console running linux' to mean 'flawless, release-ready software on day one' ;)

All this is well and good but I just read the refund/credit card e-mail thing and I really have to wonder why the wording chosen is:

"In order for you to accept this upgrade we will need to refund your
order and ask you to
reorder, this is due to our credit card processor being difficult with
us about this."

Am I wrong in understanding that the upgrade in memory has nothing to do with the refund process? If so, why were these words used? Either I didn't understand a thing (quite likely) or this, quoted above, it's a (white) lie... I honestly hope to be wrong.

gorman said:
All this is well and good but I just read the refund/credit card e-mail thing and I really have to wonder why the wording chosen is:

"In order for you to accept this upgrade we will need to refund your
order and ask you to
reorder, this is due to our credit card processor being difficult with
us about this."

Am I wrong in understanding that the upgrade in memory has nothing to do with the refund process? If so, why were these words used? Either I didn't understand a thing (quite likely) or this, quoted above, it's a (white) lie... I honestly hope to be wrong.
I think it is just worded poorly. I take it to mean that they are adding the upgrade free of charge in order to make up for the reorder debacle.

GunPei2X said:
That's half the fun!

I don't agree with you!
It's at least 70% of the fun :lol:

I think it is just worded poorly

Yep.

In order for you to accept this upgrade we will need to refund your
order ask you to reorder, this is due to our credit card processor being difficult with us about this."

My personal belief (given the hints that the bank are being @#%&'s about the whole process is that they need to say this in order to avoid the bank's legal team.

Unless we've been outright lied to (which I highly doubt), the reason for the refund is the bank's reticience in handing the credit card orders over to Craigis & Co. However, being frank, there is no way the above text was simply badly worded; which leaves more conspiracy-minded reasons for it's framing. Given the fact they are not allowed to even let us know why/how exactly the bank is being a pain - I reckon it's legal threats.

Sure, I can see that... But I still don't think we're being outright lied to. As craigix mentioned somewhere, he is excited to be able to share the whole story of all of this sometime... Just not yet. I think they're dealing with a HUGE pain in the butt here and need to watch what they let out, etc. I'm dealing with all of this just fine. Sure I wanted my Pandora sooner than later but I guess that's just too bad. It will get worked out and they will hopefully be set up for the future with an awesomely streamlined process. If the bank issues were going to be a nagging problem they needed to be corrected no matter what the reason.

Back