Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
waiting, not patiently. i shouldve guessed it was another date that would be broken :(
and i never thought id say it, but i could really use that £200 atm as well... *sigh*

MDave said:
The longer the wait, the bigger the update ;)
+10000000000

I bet that tomorrow we'll have the first assembled Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
fingers crossed.

but for some reason i doubt it :)

gibberish said:
...but i could really use that £200 atm as well... *sigh*
So, if the pandora had been delivered by now, you'd put it up for sale ?

Chero said:
gibberish said:

if pandora had been delivered by now, i wouldnt have the choice to ease my financial strain by getting a refund and id probably think about selling something else instead. as it stands, i could get an easy £200 direct into my bank with just one phone call and without having to sell anything... you must understand surely? :rolleyes:

i hope it doesnt come to that anyway.

gibberish said:
Chero said:
gibberish said:

if pandora had been delivered by now, i wouldnt have the choice to ease my financial strain by getting a refund and id probably think about selling something else instead. as it stands, i could get an easy £200 direct into my bank with just one phone call and without having to sell anything... you must understand surely? :rolleyes:

i hope it doesnt come to that anyway.

I do,
but you would in fact be selling your first-batch-pandora. I think you'd be feeling sorry in a few months ...

Chero said:
gibberish said:
Chero said:
gibberish said:
So, if the pandora had been delivered by now, you'd put it up for sale ?if pandora had been delivered by now, i wouldnt have the choice to ease my financial strain by getting a refund and id probably think about selling something else instead. as it stands, i could get an easy £200 direct into my bank with just one phone call and without having to sell anything... you must understand surely? :rolleyes:

i hope it doesnt come to that anyway.I do,
but you would in fact be selling your first-batch-pandora. I think you'd be feeling sorry in a few months ...Why does the boards spam filter not pick up these hideous and depraved posts!

Actually gibberish I think many of us could do with a couple hundred quid extra round about now. Think of the effect on the project and the devs if too many people back out - you may never get a Pandora.

i dont doubt that the pandoras people back out on couldnt get easily sold to someone else + i would guess things will be alot different once people actually see a real working pandora.

Think of the effect on the project and the devs if too many people back out - you may never get a Pandora.

It's posts like this that make me wonder where sanity has gone.

When you think of saving money by not buying unnecessary chocolate, indie games, or US-made automobiles - you don't think about the effect on the chocolate/developer/union workers who might be affected. You think about the money you are saving for that house, holiday, or (in this case) rent over Christmas.

I understand perfectly that this situation is having a major effect on the developers but, as a business, they cannot rely on sympathy to get by (that's for charities and non-profits).

I'm (so far) going the long haul to get the Pandora, but for reasons of how cool the device is. If we need to resort to sympathy pleas to keep things going - I think you'll find alot more panic than currently being exhibited on the forum.

It's got sod all to do with sympathy. You want a Pandora? Ever? If too many people were to back out or people screamed fraud and stuff like that then there might not be any Pandoras. It's like deciding to save a few pennies a the big supermarket or supporting your corner shop. Your commercial decisions have repercussions.

Getting back to the render, and looking at the picture at the start of this thread I must admit I'm not really worried (within reason) about what the pandora's case looks like. It is how well the guts inside do (or don't). So long as it is reliable, is usable and won't break the first time you use it - as you find for example with lots of el-cheap chinese stuff off ebay (think mp3 players).

BTW - I wonder how pandora gets over the problem with the screen hinge getting damaged over time - some laptops and the psion 5mx had this problem.

As for plastic flaps/hinges on the SD card slots, I am in two minds. On the one hand, they would prevent any dirt and dust getting in and preventing making good contact. On the other hand it is just something else to get snapped off accidentally.

ljones

scanti said:
I would be really cool if the case was made out of a carbon fibre/plastic composite. Not practical as it's not exactly cheap to make.

Although I suppose I could try to fake it myself.

grin thats one of the things we use to make at my old work place .. a batch of 60 sheets took 2 weeks to make from start to finish but you could rottate as many batches as you had ovens for every other day .. we had 6 kilns going round the clock. so unless the proccess has gotten remarkably streamlined in the last 3 years, ide wagger its still insanely over priced stuff :>

mmalficia said:
scanti said:
I would be really cool if the case was made out of a carbon fibre/plastic composite. Not practical as it's not exactly cheap to make.

Although I suppose I could try to fake it myself.

grin thats one of the things we use to make at my old work place .. a batch of 60 sheets took 2 weeks to make from start to finish but you could rottate as many batches as you had ovens for every other day .. we had 6 kilns going round the clock. so unless the proccess has gotten remarkably streamlined in the last 3 years, ide wagger its still insanely over priced stuff :>

Carbon fiber, being electrically conductive, would be nearly as bad as aluminum for the wifi & bluetooth.

The only alternatives to plastic are glass or ceramic. I would not even trust wood.

But even glass and ceramic could be a problem as their dielectric constant is different than plastic. I once had a GPS antenna that I had to open up the case on to clean out the corrosion caused by salt water intrusion. Damn thing did not work at all (no signal) with the thing only half covered with its plastic case. I had to completely cover it with the plastic case before it would work.

paddy said:
ohh and the kiddies need to get a life or a job and try paying for something
before writing alot of crap on here.
I used to suffer too, but then I discovered this amazing religion called budgeting!

mahousaru said:
paddy said:
ohh and the kiddies need to get a life or a job and try paying for something
before writing alot of crap on here.
I used to suffer too, but then I discovered this amazing religion called budgeting!

I promise : "This is the very last time I talk about this refund-not refund thing !"
This says it all, budgeting !!

Paddy, I have a life, I have a job, I pay my bills, I have kiddies, a wife, a house, a car, ...
The thing I don't understand is people saying they are not going to reorder 'cause they need the money. Those would be in serious trouble if the pandora would have been delivered by now. Then there wouldn't be a chance to get a refund.
So, either they are backing out for another reason they don't want to tell us or they bought (pre-ordered) something (a pandora) they couldn't afford. In both cases I would silently take my refund and shut up about it in public (like these forums).

Chero.

Yigguth said:
last monday he said next weekend, so I'd expect the info this weekend

Craig wrote that update on the 2nd December, the next weekend after that date is the 6-7 December, so I expect he should have started building it by now.

gibberish said:
waiting, not patiently. i shouldve guessed it was another date that would be broken :(
and i never thought id say it, but i could really use that £200 atm as well... *sigh*

craigix said:
I'm pleased to say next weekend we will be building the first fully working Pandora with controls and keyboard and making some videos of it for you to see - this does not mean the work is finished - there is bound to be something which needs adjusting, but it is a major near final milestone.

Craig never stated when the videos would be posted (ie when we would actually get to see them), therefore no promise has been broken (unless he comes on and says he has not started building it yet)

White Demon said:
Craig wrote that update on the 2nd December, the next weekend after that date is the 6-7 December, so I expect he should have started building it by now.

I disagree. The 'next' weekend after 2nd December is the 13th December. If he said 'this weekend', then I would assume 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back