Pandora Status Update

He seemed to understand that. What he was asking was, for peace of mind, for an email to be sent out even if the order doesn't need to be placed again. With all going on, it would help just to be sure one way or another.

Sorry if I read that wrong (I've read it again and still not 100% sure).

If that is the case, then yes a few of us have advocated that everybody get either a 'refund and re-order' email or a 'you're ok' email so that everybody is certain of their position.

I understand the need to keep peoples contact info anonymous. However, I suspect that the suspense (and uncertainty of e-mails making it through) is slowly driving people nuts. For those that already were nuts, it's just making things worse.

I've got a suggestion. Is is possible to have a web page set up, with order numbers, and an extra piece of info: - if you've been sent an e-mail already, if you're not getting one, or if you've not been gotten to yet.

That way, people can check there every so often, see if they are on the list, and find out anonymously what their status is.

(if it was in order that the orders are going out, that would be even better :) )

Regardless, I know that I'll get a pandora eventually. If I get an e-mail about re-order, I'll do so.

Regards from Ottawa.
Dan.

Lingman said:
I understand the need to keep peoples contact info anonymous. However, I suspect that the suspense (and uncertainty of e-mails making it through) is slowly driving people nuts. For those that already were nuts, it's just making things worse.

I've got a suggestion. Is is possible to have a web page set up, with order numbers, and an extra piece of info: - if you've been sent an e-mail already, if you're not getting one, or if you've not been gotten to yet.

That way, people can check there every so often, see if they are on the list, and find out anonymously what their status is.

(if it was in order that the orders are going out, that would be even better :) )

Regardless, I know that I'll get a pandora eventually. If I get an e-mail about re-order, I'll do so.

Regards from Ottawa.
Dan.
Quote for me.
I understand privacy is an issue as well, but I hope the team undersand that the most of the people who isn't going to receive a request-refund email will freak out because won't be sure if they just missed the email and got some (personal) bank update visibility so no-one can't really be sure if he's waiting for the shipment that will never arrive because didn't reorder.
There are many solutions to help people live happily (including me): you can set up a simple list of emails of the people involved in the refund, or a list with just name+surname (without email so pricacy is stronger) or for a paranoic protection you can set up a silly mdb file with the list in and a simple asp page that will ask you for your email. A simple db query can tell us if this email is in the list or not.
Maybe with a captcha. Provided the list, it's a 30 min work maximum to set up this!

Last edited by a moderator:
with the best will in the world, this on going pandora delay is not becoming a farce. it is one.

the excitement i had for the console is long gone, the boredom of a serious lack of up dates about said console is such that i visit the forums less and less frequently and when i do....
nothing has changed, just another excuse as to another delay or no info and just guess work as to another delay.

is it really so hard to have a weekly update on the when of pandora?

it will all end badly.

see you all in a few weeks.....

I posted this in the other thread, but... Has anyone from North America gotten their email yet? I'm in Canada and I haven't gotten an email/refund yet.

Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.

lobski said:
I posted this in the other thread, but... Has anyone from North America gotten their email yet? I'm in Canada and I haven't gotten an email/refund yet.

Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.
I'm in Canada and have also not gotten anything yet. But we have until Nov. 14.

The only thing I guess I have left to worry about is that potential problem with Canadian customs which was described on those other forums (which seem to be deleted now?... I thought they were going to be merged into the GP32X forums...).

Esn said:
The only thing I guess I have left to worry about is that potential problem with Canadian customs which was described on those other forums (which seem to be deleted now?... I thought they were going to be merged into the GP32X forums...).
?
Did I miss something?
http://forum.openpandora.org/index.php

Yeah the new forum is still there. I thought the same for a while though - it turns out if you access the 'forum' tab from anywhere other than the Openpandora home page, it takes you directly here rather than to the selection page.

Poobik The Hare said:
see you all in a few weeks....

The last time I took a hiatus from the board (couple weeks before pre-orders), I missed some fairly important information which would have altered my order slightly had I known it, but I didn't find out about it until well after the pre-orders had finished because it was only ever posted on the forum which went down shortly after pre-orders started. As much as I want to leave the "ZOMG SCAMS PANIC!!" and "Pandora is my crack and I need a hit NOW!" threads, I don't think I can risk missing another pertinent piece of information. At least Chip is making it much easier to locate those relevant snippets this time around. KUDOS!

But surely any important updates would be featured in the Latest News of the Openpandora home page? Look - Pandora sold out its preorders!

BeefJerky said:
But surely any important updates would be featured in the Latest News of the Openpandora home page? Look - Pandora sold out its preorders!
It surely isn't satisfying. Chip asked for permission to get access to update the home page.

That would be great. Chip is certainly appreciated around here and I can't say how much his efforts in getting and posting info have meant to me and probably others too. Chip for president.

BeefJerky said:
Chip for president.
Be careful what you wish for. ;)

I'll keep doing my best to get as much information out there as I can, and keep it organized to boot. All I ask is that you guys understand that we really are telling you everything we can. We're not keeping anything back out of spite or because we're just too lazy to post it. We will keep you informed.

Chip, I am glad that you are putting forth your best effort to satisfy all of us, otherwise we may go into cannibalistic flame wars :p

Just so it's clear:

the reason people are unhappy about "If you get an email, you need to re-order. If you don't, don't worry." is the previous promise of "We'll send you an email when ordering is available".

I signed up with two different email addresses to be notified when ordering started, and I never received a thing.

This failure remains unexplained or even, afaik, unremarked by anyone from the Pandora project.

Accordingly, it seems reasonable for people to worry that a similar mishap will happen to their reorder email.

Therefore, I propose Chip (or whoever) stops saying "If you don't get an email, don't worry" until they do one of these things:

1. Explain why the same mysterious mishap won't happen with this email that happened with the last one; or
2. Provide us with an alternative means of determining whether we need to re-order.

Thank you.

daffy said:
I signed up with two different email addresses to be notified when ordering started, and I never received a thing.

This failure remains unexplained or even, afaik, unremarked by anyone from the Pandora project.
As I recall, this was explained somewhere (I may be imagining things, but I swear it was somewhere)... The mass email was going out when this server (gp32x) bit the dust. Therefore the preorder message never really went out to everyone.

The reorder email is completely different and is a single message at a time. I'm also imagining if they send an email and you don't respond they'll make an effort to contact you again until they hear back.

daffy said:
1. Explain why the same mysterious mishap won't happen with this email that happened with the last one; or
2. Provide us with an alternative means of determining whether we need to re-order.
I can do both.

1. The "How To Order" newsletter was sent out from the same server that runs these forums. When the forums slowed to a crawl due to the massive inrush of traffic, the emails slowed to a trickle. The server was shut down by the ISP before all the emails were sent. By the time the server came back a few days later, ordering was finished (or near enough) and there was no point re-sending them. Craig posted on the matter here and here, but since the boards were down for several days afterward, I'm not surprised they were overlooked.

2. As I've posted a few times in this thread and others - just check your bank account / CC statement. The refund will show up there if you get one. I am not aware of any bank or credit card company that does not have some online utility to monitor account activity. If you have not received an email by the time they finish sending them, just wait for a week or so and then check your account. If you see the refund, then somehow the email was waylaid on its way to your inbox and you should contact Openpandora. If not, you're 100% in the clear.

To further the discussion, I have full faith that, in the event that some people are issued refunds, did not get an email (for some reason), do not check their CC balance, and have no idea that they need to reorder, that these people will be sufficiently few that a website of "these people (order numbers) need to contact us ASAP" will be much easier to produce.

Back