Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@squidge historically Sunday is the first day of the week since biblical times also latin languages have names for monday such as segunda (second)

The ISO has defined monday as the first day of the week AGAINST widely prevalent recognition as it being the second day (bloomin' liberals...moving my days of the week for no reason)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_the_w...day_of_the_week

interesting little article on Wikipedia...

cb88 said:
@Squidge historically Sunday is the first day of the week since biblical times also latin languages have names for monday such as segunda (second)

True. But the weekend is commonly accepted as Saturday and Sunday, therefore the week start must be Monday. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tag ah, but the beginning of the week is an end of the week

sunday is the begining end and saturday is the ending end xD

@squidge yep.. we can drop it amazes me that there are 15 pages of discussion on this topic

Too funny.

Personally, I don't care when or even if the videos arrive (I've noe need to see it until it's in my hands, even though it would be a little thrill), but this "next weekend" thing hit me in real life recently too.

We had arranged with an agent to view a house for sale and he apparently told the current tenant that we'd be there "next weekend". Of course, when we turned up on the immediate weekend, she was surprised and had expected us the following weekend.

At first we thought that was silly, but when you think about it... you would say "This weekend" wouldn't you? So "Next weekend" would logically be the one after "This weekend", I guess.

I'd like to put this complete discussion in my sig, but then I will get banned, supposedly :lol:

for those with simple reading comprehension difficulties

if we where so ill advised as to use the term "next weekend" to mean the weekend of the current week, then when could you use the term "this weekend"?, I can`t see why you can`t understand this, especially when Craig posted on Tuesday at so you can`t be confused by him having posted on the weekend even.

"this weekend" is the one forthcoming (or if spoken at the weekend...the current weekend)

"next weekend" is the weekend after (next to) the forthcoming (or current) weekend (ie the weekend after this weekend)

simple, how can you get confused by that?

The thing is though, mweston pretty much said he has a finished pandora prototype, and he said this over the last weekend. That is where the confusion lies. Why wait until next weekend when they have it ready for snapping pics and vids now? :p

I come here to read updates and I see this!
Get grip and wait, who knows what he meant, it isn't ready so go sulk in the corner or buy Christmas gifts or something useful. It'll come, it's late already and a week isn't that much of a difference.
You're kind of scaring people from coming here.

If it was Tuesday and you said X would be ready by next Thursday, how many days would there be in-between? 1 or 8? Assuming the argument of "The next weekend after the 2nd Dec is the 6th", then the answer would be 1 (as the next Thursday to occur would be in 2 days time, even though I'm sure most people would call that "This Thursday", referring to the current week).

(Just barely on topic, but I'm going to let this slide as it certainly makes a break from the ordering questions)

Maybe we should be thankful that the term used wasn't something like "Wednesday week" or some other similar most-likely-exclusively-British term. :lol: I'm British myself, and it always confuses the hell out of me. :p

When i was a child it put me in mind of a whole week of Wednesdays.

Actually "put me in mind of" is a bit of a british-ism too....

Prometheus said:
Maybe we should be thankful that the term used wasn't something like "Wednesday week" or some other similar most-likely-exclusively-British term. :lol: I'm British myself, and it always confuses the hell out of me. :p
OK, this thread is now for languge problems. So be it.

Now I am wondering what "Wednesday week" should mean? I would think: "A week (7 days) after wednesday"

Oh back to the "topic". "Next" is confusing cause it could mean BOTH, "this weekend" (the 6th) or the weekend after the weekend (13th). TBH I was of the opinion that he menat the last weekend (6th).

Let's just assume he meant the 6th and the whole team was sooo fascinated by the build P that they just didn't make vids because they were droling all the time ;)

Prometheus said:
I know what you mean.

In northern England tea is dinner and dinner is lunch. Dinner dinner is the start of the Batman theme.
In southern England tea only ever means the beverage. Dinner means supper.
In Scotland supper means with chips and dinner means what the northern English call tea.

Creature XL said:
Now I am wondering what "Wednesday week" should mean? I would think: "A week (7 days) after wednesday"
When I asked them long ago, my parents told me that it basically means "Next Wednesday" - and from the way I hear people around here use the term, it doesn't matter what day it's said on - you could say "It's happening Wednesday week" on a Monday, for example, and apparently it still means "Next Wednesday". It's an odd phrase and I hate it. :lol:

Anyhow, sorry for the off-topicness. :p

Unfathomable Depths said:
Prometheus said:
I know what you mean.

In northern England tea is dinner and dinner is lunch. Dinner dinner is the start of the Batman theme.
In southern England tea only ever means the beverage. Dinner means supper.
In Scotland supper means with chips and dinner means what the northern English call tea.

Wait wait wait I'm lost. I'm sorry this is off topic but I am very curious. I'm from the U.S. To me, there are three meals:
1) Breakfast
2) Lunch (had usually near noon or early afternoon)
3) Dinner (the evening meal)

My understanding of "supper" is as just a different word for "Dinner". I have no clue what meal "tea" is, except as a drink made with leaves.

Night Wind said:
Wait wait wait I'm lost. I'm sorry this is off topic but I am very curious. I'm from the U.S. To me, there are three meals:
1) Breakfast
2) Lunch (had usually near noon or early afternoon)
3) Dinner (the evening meal)

My understanding of "supper" is as just a different word for "Dinner". I have no clue what meal "tea" is, except as a drink made with leaves.
"Tea" is used in some parts of the country as a synonym for "dinner". :p In that context, it's nothing to do with the leafy infusion made with hot water. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back