Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

Does SuperZaxxonB3 [3.2] allow overclocking with OPP5 on the 256MB Pandora?

Do USB devices auto mount now?

Thanks!

PanMAME still doesn't do overlay tvout from composite. Don't know if this is the case for all apps using overlay, but it could be possible.

-The new kernel is under /lib/boot, not boot
Got it, thanks.

I can change the SD installer to use the kernel under /lib/boot, if there is one, instead of the one under /boot. Is this what people want?

On the other hand, if 3.2 is supposed to be the default, shouldn't they be the other way around?
waiting for updated sdinstaller :)

Forget Me Not has some (forgive me if my description is wrong) screen tearing/stuttering issues. It might take a few levels, but it primarily happens while grinding or near the upper right hand quadrant of the screen. Dunny won't run these betas until they are stable, I'm just looking for others to confirm this. This is on a ReBirth Edition Pandora.

The file /proc/pandora/game_button_mode seems to be missing. Anyone know if this intentional or a bug? I tried a few searches but couldn't find anything.
Intentional, this is causing kernel maintenance problems and was never documented, so will have to be dropped.

I can change the SD installer to use the kernel under /lib/boot, if there is one, instead of the one under /boot. Is this what people want?

On the other hand, if 3.2 is supposed to be the default, shouldn't they be the other way around?
The 2.6 one is planned to be dropped eventually, so it would be best to look in /lib/boot first, if uImage is not there, use /boot one (it will move back to /boot/ eventually, this mess is because of limited space in /boot partition).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also noticed a graphical glitch with Picodrive.

Just let run the demo of Mickey, castle of illusion. It's in the toy level.

Irritating (if not even scary) part in the first boot wizard after flashing:

I had just confirmed the date/time setting, then the screen got immediately blank (no idle time between!), but the LEDs where still on.

Suspected, maybe "the system needs some time, don't be inpatient", but usually at least a CLI prompt could be seen at such occasions. Is it frozen? Do I have a brick now?

Gave it 5 more minutes, but then got impatient. Carefully moved a nub. The screen was lit again, I could see the dialogue "This concludes the mandatory part of the First Boot Wizard".

Seems it was just a harmless screen dimming. But it made me, the user, very insecure! Please avoid such shocks!

• reboot holding the R button and select to boot into CLI
  • login with your useraccount

Strange... : In CLI mode (of kernel 3.2) my login credentials do not work! (Tried multiple boots and multiple logins)

Rebooted to MiniMenu, started Terminal, tested my username + password there, worked without any problems.

FYI: My username consists of 2 lowercase letters, password of lower case letters and numbers.

If I cannot get my login to work in CLI mode (why?), is it ok to start in GUI mode and switch to console via alt-ctrl-F1 and do it there?

I guess not as the GUI is still running in parallel...

Maybe log out from GUI, switch to console via alt-ctrl-F1, then try it. Then no user related stuff should be open (and endangered).

Other ideas?

Suspending with running PNDs works now!? Sort of...

Fact is: If the system detects a running PND, it goes not into standby, but rather only into Low Power Mode (which is also quite good concerning battery runtime, but Standby is about 4 times more efficient than Low Power mode, total runtime with Standby ~180 hours, with Low Power Mode 30-75 hours). Thus you first need to manually pause your game, then suspend, else your game runs on (in the Low Power Mode)!

Proof: Game "Giana's Return" running, game countdown at 140 seconds. Sliding power button to start standby. OP (seemingly) goes into standby. Power LED lights in less bright green (indicating standby). Waiting 60 seconds (with stop clock) then sliding power button again. OP resumes, screen goes on, "Giana's Return" is immediately responsive, counter at 79 seconds. Exactly 60 seconds, as in real time, have passed in the game! (The 1 seconds rounding error is just my finger/eye delay. 140 - 79 = 61 = 60 + 1)

In the Beta 2 thread, I had summarized all the discussed variants:

S1: Safe by default, risky on demand

• Setting "Safe": -> Safe standby not possible, going into low power mode. (EvilDragon)
  • Setting "Unsafe: -> Going into standby without unmounting storage devices. (User responsibility to not remove devices, else data loss)

It seems the realized variant in Beta 3 is S1 with Setting "Safe".

How can users enable the setting "Unsafe" to try REAL standby (without the need to first pause a game, music playback, etc)? Already possible?

Notaz, besides by inquiry, my compliments! This is an amazing release!

Checked dmesg, and it further proofs this.

For a real standby the Pandora logs:

Code:
Successfully put all powerdomains to target state.

For an attempted standby the Pandora logs:

Code:
Powerdomain (per_pwrdm) didn't enter state 1

Powerdomain (core_pwrdm) didn't enter state 1

Could not enter target state in pm_suspend

And then chooses Low Power Mode instead.

I've done the changes to the SD installer so it works with the new kernel. Download from pandorabits.org or the repo.

notaz: I've only just seen your comment about the console parameter, so that change is not in there yet.

Has anyone try usb devices with this? I have played the swap game with an ext2 formated key and have seen no events in the dmesg log. I also tried sticking a mouse to it through a hub. The usb still powers it, but there is again no dmesg events for connecting it.

Yes, same USB problem here. "sudo lsusb" - no output. Removing batterie and restart didn't help.

Didn't recognize anything. On old kernel, all runs fine.

Fact is: If the system detects a running PND, it goes not into standby, but rather only into Low Power Mode (which is also quite good concerning battery runtime, but Standby is about 4 times more efficient than Low Power mode, total runtime with Standby ~180

hours, with Low Power Mode 30-75 hours). Thus you first need to manually pause your game, then suspend, else your game runs on (in the Low Power Mode)!

The Low-Power mode has ALWAYS paused PNDs, and it sure does this on my unit (I've been playing PSX games all weekend long and were only taking breaks by directly going into low-power mode).

Could it be somehow that Gianas Return uses the clock (or some other timer that continues to run) and updates itself once it starts up again?

How can users enable the setting "Unsafe" to try REAL standby (without the need to first pause a game, music playback, etc)? Already possible?

No, not yet implemented in the scripts.

Has anyone try usb devices with this? I have played the swap game with an ext2 formated key and have seen no events in the dmesg log. I also tried sticking a mouse to it through a hub. The usb still powers it, but there is again no dmesg events for connecting it.

As in the Hotfixes before, you need to enable the USB port first (sudo mod_ehci, I think).

That module prevents suspend from working, so it has been disabled as default.

Last edited:
I just copied it from the kernel thread, if someone needs the solution to enable and disable USB:

known non-issues:

USB host (EHCI) - must run "sudo modprobe ehci-hcd" in terminal before use, maybe a GUI option will appear for this with time. Note that doing this disables some powersaving, which is back again if you "sudo rmmod ehci-hcd".

Stuff still seems slow motion after suspending. This is especially visible in PNDManager, but shows in other applications too.

Simply fantastic.

Don't forget to update the webpage when this hotfix is finally released because 10 hours battery life will be false advertisement. With Super Zaxxon it's at least 20! :D

Stuff still seems slow motion after suspending. This is especially visible in PNDManager, but shows in other applications too.

Hmmm, no issues with PCSXReARMed for me.

Haven't checked other stuff.

Is the clock speed set back correctly for you?

Back