Release Starcraft

notaz said:
Quick question regarding this: Are PC savegames compatible? (I would like to continue a campaign from back in 1998/9!)
They are, but as latest patch of the game is required (it's from 2009), the states will probably be no longer compatible because of the patch alone.
Actually you'll be fine with patch 1.15.2, but your saves are probably from a much older version anyway.

I wonder if a similar approach would work to do static recompilation of game console ROMs, to get just a bit of extra speed compared to dynamic recompilation. So instead of using an emulator, you would essentially specialize (emulator+rom) into one native executable, where as much of the recompilation as possible is done statically (I guess you cannot get rid of it in general because there could be self-modifying code etc.). If you can get near-native execution in the performance-critical loop bodies, this could theoretically enable "emu-compi-lation" of more game consoles (as long as their hardware is not more powerful than the Pandora's), albeit with potentially a lot of manual game-specific effort if the approach cannot easily be fully automated.need a custom conversion tool.
It could be done, but again, not in all cases for the same reasons as mentioned above. If you want to target many games it requires too much effort and is certainly not worth it.
That's what I assumed.

Ugh, I wish all games would be required to be open sourced a few years after release -- of course the game data would still be proprietary, so it wouldn't significantly change the game industry at all. It would make the life of retro-gamers a lot easier though.

This is what id Software is effectively doing. John Carmack deserves a Noble prize and/or Turing award for that, if you ask me.

Anyway, congratulations on making this work for Starcraft! It must have been one hell of a challenge, I think there are few people who understand what it takes to pull off something like this.

Quake 4 is just using the Doom 3 (id Tech 4) engine though, no?  Granted the game-specific code hasn't been released, which precludes porting it in the traditional manner, but the core technology driving it is already available.   Rage (id Tech 5) is probably too new to have its source available anyway and there are still games in active development using it (the new Wolfenstein and Doom if nothing else), so don't assume that it won't be at some point.  You are right, however, that Carmack no longer being at id could very well be a sticking point on this though since I'd assume the engine is their IP, not his (though at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he negotiated keeping rights for this sort of thing). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
bethesda bought id :(

but back to topic: i am looking forward for the star craft fixes, thank you very much notaz :)

What notaz achieved in Starcraft is unbelievable.  This open up lots of new Windows PC games to Pandora and Pyra and other ARM devices.  But yeah, lots of work.  Just hope notaz would be motivated enough to write a universal tool someday to make it easier for ptitSeb :D

This open up lots of new Windows PC games to Pandora and Pyra and other ARM devices. But yeah, lots of work. Just hope notaz would be motivated enough to write a universal tool someday to make it easier for ptitSeb :D
Notaz already explained he won't :p read the posts !
Read my post again :p

This open up lots of new Windows PC games to Pandora and Pyra and other ARM devices. But yeah, lots of work. Just hope notaz would be motivated enough to write a universal tool someday to make it easier for ptitSeb :D
Notaz is a guy who likes to innovate and try new stuff. It would be a waste of his talent if he kept doing the same thing over and over again just to add a few more games for the Pandora.

It is not possible to write an universal tool to translate Asm to C. You can't deterministic decide how generate C functions which map the assembler behaviour. There are allways several ways, and with compiler optimization it gets worse.

You can't just say:

add r2, r3, r4

mul r4, r5, r6

store r6, r7

is

void madd(int a, int b, int c, int* destination)

{

*destination = (a+b )*c;

}

for all possbile assembler command cases.

Most impressive. I love how former given rules like "WINE can not run onto Pandora" or in this case "No source, no port!" are proven wrong, the Pandora can do miracles somehow. OK, notaz can do miracles but we knwe this already. ;)

Now the obvious question: HOW does SC plays on Pandora? Is it even good playable onto an Handheld? I have these korean "300 actions per minute" SC cracks in mind somehow. ^^"

^I posted a video a few posts back..

Notaz is a guy who likes to innovate and try new stuff. It would be a waste of his talent if he kept doing the same thing over and over again just to add a few more games for the Pandora.
OK.  When will the Pandoralive article for "StarCraft on Pandora" be out? :)

OK. When will the Pandoralive article for "StarCraft on Pandora" be out? :)
I think it is already. Go check yourself ;-)

Now the obvious question: HOW does SC plays on Pandora? Is it even good playable onto an Handheld? I have these korean "300 actions per minute" SC cracks in mind somehow. ^^"
Ive been playing on a cc and it seems pretty much fullspeed. There are some random slowdowns when accidentally scrolling with the mouse and dpad at the same time.

I wish there was a way to make the mouse less sensitive... but that's no fault of the pnd.

While using a mouse I would say this is an extremely playable port.

If we can use one of the shoulder buttons to simulate right click with the touch screen, it could be even better...

Ive been playing on a cc and it seems pretty much fullspeed. There are some random slowdowns when accidentally scrolling with the mouse and dpad at the same time.

I wish there was a way to make the mouse less sensitive... but that's no fault of the pnd.

If we can use one of the shoulder buttons to simulate right click with the touch screen, it could be even better...
Keyboard shortcuts and using the D-pad seems to be a good alternative to a mouse.

I have seen it but how did it played onto the Handheld? I meant my question actualy control-wise and stuff like how do the SC controls work with  Pandora usage. ^^

Would not make much sense to plug in a mouse or Gamepad to be able to play it properly imho.

Thanks for the info, I also have an CC Pandora, great if SC even runs onto the old Pandoras. :) So you used an external mouse for playing it, OK.

Keyboard shortcuts and using the D-pad seems to be a good alternative to a mouse.
Yes, something like this. I guess it will still be hard if alot happens onto the screen to keep control over the game. There is a reason why real time strategy games are not that common onto handhelds. To find a good solution for controls is the key. :)

I have seen it but how did it played onto the Handheld? I meant my question actualy control-wise and stuff like how do the SC controls work with  Pandora usage. ^^

Would not make much sense to plug in a mouse or Gamepad to be able to play it properly imho.
Ah gotcha, using the nubs seems fine as long as you don't use it to scroll the screen. you can set the scroll speed of the mouse it helps a little, but using the D-PAD is better for that.. using the keyboard short cuts help with building. I've played through most of the Terran campaign already with issues.

Back