Starcraft

enigma85

Still Fresh
has anyone thought about or is attempting to find a way to get starcraft on the arm processor. it wiould sell thousands of second batch units to just have this game.

portable multiplayer starcraft!

enigma85 said:
has anyone thought about or is attempting to find a way to get starcraft on the arm processor. it wiould sell thousands of second batch units to just have this game.

portable multiplayer starcraft!
Not happening unless someone makes an open source starcraft similar engine. Also, read the information threads, you can't port something to a different processor arch. unless it's opensource, which starcraft is not.

EDIT: You should have read the thread that was only a few below yours at the time of your posting -> http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43532

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything's possible, If you were willing to play Starcraft 64 on a well emulated N64. Of course you would need to own the original cart to make this legal, and you would need to have an emu that was up to the task.

That doesnt get starcraft on the ARM, but it could get some of the starcraft experiance on the Pandora. -CB

there was a project to rebuild the starcraft engine as open source for a while i think but it seems to have come to a screaching halt, although i am fairly certain that this has been discussed here previously, i was interested in it for a while when the idea that it may be possible hit me but i soon dispelled that. Try using the search function for 'starcraft' everything you need to know is right there, just a search away

Spray190 said:
there was a project to rebuild the starcraft engine as open source for a while i think but it seems to have come to a screaching halt, although i am fairly certain that this has been discussed here previously, i was interested in it for a while when the idea that it may be possible hit me but i soon dispelled that. Try using the search function for 'starcraft' everything you need to know is right there, just a search away
I think that one got slapped with a cease and desist order or received a notification from Blizzard's attorneys.

C&C and C&C:RA are a different matter, those two have both been given over to the public for free use, although they haven't been placed into the public domain. I'm not sure how long until Free RA is a reliable way to play.

Stargus may be of interest :)

Their site seems a bit broken right now, so I can't see the system requirements or how portable the code is. Would be immensely cool to have on a portable!

Alex. said:
Stargus may be of interest :)

Their site seems a bit broken right now, so I can't see the system requirements or how portable the code is. Would be immensely cool to have on a portable!

Work halted long ago. I remember a discussion about porting it to Dell Axim x50v, but it was already dead back then.

Edit:
Warcraft 2 will be fun on Pandora with wargus :)

Technically speaking, making any unauthorized copy of any copyrighted game (which happens when you download a ROM for example) is illegal. Whether you own it or not.

Ethical? That's up to personal judgment.

ShyGuy said:
Technically speaking, making any unauthorized copy of any copyrighted game (which happens when you download a ROM for example) is illegal. Whether you own it or not.

"Making" an "unauthorized copy" as in backing up or dumping for personal use is kinda legal in the US (depends on encryption and subsequent circumvention, see Fair Use and DMCA). Downloading copyrighted rom is illegal in the US.

ShyGuy said:

Sorry, its technically legal in a lot of country's.

Backing up a game, dvd, etc is legal here. We pay a tax on ( high! ) media for that "right". Other country's here also do that.

Now the bad news? First they introduced this tax, so its legal to make a copy/backup of your originally owned master cd/dvd. Then they added encryption / protection, and made breaking any encryption / protection illegal by law. Cache 22...

The fun part about this is, download a already ripped version only is more legal, then doing it yourself. Somebody else is guilty of breaking/getting past the encryption. But then they try to get you on a other front, aka downloading it, you also share it ( torrents, p2p in general ). Wieee, got you again.

At times the laws looks like a way just to get anybody on any ground they want. Can't get you on x, lets try y, z, a, b ... This is a bit off topic, but in the strictest sense, any person breaks a dozen laws if not more every day ( and i'm not counting those 1800 laws that still exists ;) ).

you guys fail to realize that windows95 could possibly run through qemu or dosbox and thus allowing starcraft to run. they got win9x on the psp just not enough ram and such to get it going good. it doesnt take much to run starcraft at all. ran great on my old 133mhz :blink: laptop back in the day.

enigma85 said:
you guys fail to realize that windows95 could possibly run through qemu or dosbox and thus allowing starcraft to run. they got win9x on the psp just not enough ram and such to get it going good. it doesnt take much to run starcraft at all. ran great on my old 133mhz :blink: laptop back in the day.
That's great. Unfortunately Win95 ran at about 2 FPS under DOSBox on the PSP, and it wasn't due to lack or RAM. We're looking at about 2k-2.5k DOSbox cycles on the Pandora, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 386 @ 20MHz. You won't be playing Starcraft on the Pandora under DOSbox. Ever.

Another possibility for running Warcraft and Starcraft is to run them on an emulated Macintosh system. Basilisk II or several others are available, and you would only need to emulate a 33 mhz IIvx or so with 32mb of RAM to play (if I remember the system requirements correctly). Given the previous post about emulating Windows being too slow, emulating a Mac may be slow as well, but the OS overhead for System 7 is really low.

In my opinion, the best option is Starcraft 64 (in an N64 emulator...) with very custom controls

Gruso said:
You're wrong. ;) That page even links to the Stargus page on Sourceforge. This link is more useful though: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stargus/

Work does seem to have halted on it, but it definitely exists.

I could also make a screenshot of starcraft on my PC and view it on the P., instead ;)
Porting won't help, somebody would have to continue developing the engine.
There was discussion on this in the Axim scene to no avail.

Back