Starcraft

Dude, what are you talking about? It was an active project on Sourceforge, not a prank video on Youtube. The information is right there in front of you, even on the Wiki page you linked.

Gruso said:
Dude, what are you talking about? It was an active project on Sourceforge, not a prank video on Youtube. The information is right there in front of you, even on the Wiki page you linked.
I am talking about an engine in pre-alpha state.
I am talking about a project where the last sign of life was seen over a year ago.
How does this engine help us, if we want to play Starcraft?

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot of me playing Stargus a few minutes ago:

:p

I don't know how far through it can be played, but off the bat it runs beautifully. With flawless sound and background music. It's enough to start off with, and you never know, maybe Pandora is just the thing to revive interest in the project.

Agreed :)
If P. can revive interest, it may be feasible to have a playable Starcraft.

Gruso said:
I think I'll play it some more and get a feel for how well it works.

Testing Starcraft *sigh* such a chore!
Are those empty/full gauges on the crystal deposits and gas vents? Luxury!
Also, the fog of war looks a little bouncier than the real-Starcraft. Didn't real starcraft's FoW have a soft edge?

Seriously, though. That looks super hot. If that can be made to work on Pandora I'm going to have to go re-buy Starcraft.

I think I would too, and I could use it to force a friend to buy a Pandora.

I'd really like if this was an opportunity to introduce features in to Starcraft that didn't appear until later games.

I'm thinking in Warcraft 3 there was autocast, subgroups, and queues for research. Stuff like that. How great would it be to have SCVs auto repair? I hope the engine will introduce this potential.

It wouldn't be bad to take this opportunity to eliminate some unfair units like the dark archon :)
I could be biased. I don't know.
(PROTOSS GOT 3 NEW UNITS FOR BROOD WAR OTHER RACES GOT 2 WTH) XD

Prestidigitator said:
I'd really like if this was an opportunity to introduce features in to Starcraft that didn't appear until later games.
I'm thinking in Warcraft 3 there was autocast, subgroups, and queues for research. Stuff like that. How great would it be to have SCVs auto repair? I hope the engine will introduce this potential.
"Autocast" would radically change the balance of power in the game in favor of the Protoss. Those sorts of gameplay changes could ruin Starcraft's carefully crafted balance.

Autorepair for humans would also shift the balance in favor of the humans. Essentially neutralizing one of the advantages of Protoss and Zerg.

Research queues probably wouldn't be too bad, but there may still be an effect.

You can't just go around messing with Starcraft's gameplay and expect it to retain it's near perfect three-species balance. Some things are supposed to be hard, supposed to require your attention.

If you make these changes, the game might still be fun in single player, or even multi-player among beginners. But among skilled players these shifts in balance can make the difference between a excellent game, and a degenerate one.

VRAndy said:
Prestidigitator said:
"Autocast" would radically change the balance of power in the game in favor of the Protoss. Those sorts of gameplay changes could ruin Starcraft's carefully crafted balance.

Autorepair for humans would also shift the balance in favor of the humans. Essentially neutralizing one of the advantages of Protoss and Zerg.

Research queues probably wouldn't be too bad, but there may still be an effect.

You can't just go around messing with Starcraft's gameplay and expect it to retain it's near perfect three-species balance. Some things are supposed to be hard, supposed to require your attention.

If you make these changes, the game might still be fun in single player, or even multi-player among beginners. But among skilled players these shifts in balance can make the difference between a excellent game, and a degenerate one.

As far as I've got it, stargus won't have the original balancing of starcraft.

why wouldn't it have the original balancing?

i'm not surprised that people want starcraft on the pan. B)

enigma85 said:
why wouldn't it have the original balancing?

Because it is a replacement engine. Everything has to be coded to emulate the behaviour of the original closed source engine.

How can you say that with out even trying it? The game data may not be a part of the engine and read from a data file. If thats not the case then of course the opensource engine is easy to fix. Multiplayer is probably not going to be supported anyway so the perfect balance is less of an issue.

I'm sure, that the AI is implemented in the engine and doesn't reside in the data files. The right AI results in the right balancing.

Blizzard had to do heavy testing in order to tune the game. If we can get an active developer team, it's possible to achieve gameplay very close to the original engine.

Etinin said:
If we can get an active developer team, it's possible to achieve gameplay very close to the original engine.
I hope that this will happen. I liked startcraft a lot back in the days. I remember sitting in our basement and playing starcraft all day and night, with some friends over ethernet. :)

Here's a thought. WINE is open source, why not just port that over to the psp and run starcraft on it? There must be some way...

ghost739 said:
Here's a thought. WINE is open source, why not just port that over to the psp and run starcraft on it? There must be some way...
Have you read any of the FAQs? WINE is for x86 systems, Pandora/PSP are ARM based.

Back