Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

I'm always eager to hear Pyra news. Thanks for the update!

I tried to collect everything into one remaining "todo" list. I'm not sure if this list is entirely correct; please point out if I missed anything or if something below is wrong:

Cases
- wait for samples of the new cases to arrive
- test cases to make sure they are final
- when final, setup production at the new company and order a production batch of cases

CPU boards
- wait for the new CPU board prototypes to arrive
- test CPU boards to ensure they are correct
- when final, order a production batch of CPU boards

Mainboards
- finish testing main board wifi
- try to improve the cooling via simulation
- try to fix the stirring sound via trial and error

- send the mainboards out to the prototype orders for further testing
- give testers time to tinker and wait for any new bug reports (?)
- when final, order a production batch of mainboards

Final production
- get the hardware certified
- wait for final cases, mainboards, CPU boards to arrive
- write the manual
- print the manual
- design the packaging
- print the packaging
- assemble everything
- ship em!

Did I miss anything?

I like realism, so not this year.

There isnt anything spezial to do anymore, i gave it maybe 2 to 4 months (tm) ,
Well, there is the polishing of the OS, essential software to be uploaded. That could take a bit. Although most things will be one installation away, for example: "apt-get install vice" to have a Commodore 64 emulator. But then you need to start mapping the keys* to get the joystick working. Wouldn't it be nice to install it through a Pyra Package?

* not intentionally my plan to create a VICE - Commodore 64 layout Keyboard thread.

CE Certification, while the procedure takes hours, you still have a waiting line. And I'm not sure about the process, because non-europe require other type of certification (but European is stricter, so maybe it's valid elsewhere? Probably not, as it will get another type of 4G telephone/GSM hardware). The certification can only be started after the last hand on the hardware (the heat sink polygon thingy, iirc)

And "order number" ? All I have is a "Gutscheincode" (voucher code) and that code is secret.

Last edited:
I don't care if it takes 2 month or 2 month™ as long a the time gets invested into making the pyra a better device hardware wise.

And at the moment stuff is happening

@matzesu Of course, we all know that! :) Sorry if I came of as patronizing. I should have ended with a smiley ;)

Maybe nice to mention that product prices are set now. And you get a 5% discount if you buy more than 1 Pyra?

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

And also maybe time for me to send some Pizza money* to ED for the team that is going to build these things... (as soon as mass production starts)

* can also be bradwurst und bier, or Pyra-kebab.

And you will hear of delays and rumors of delays. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the delivery date is not yet. For hardware will rise against hardware, and software against software, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains. ...

From the book of the Dragon, chapter 12:4

I would expect two months before my pyra arrives after mass production starts.
1 wk -> mass production trial run, and solve any troubles that may arise
with >1100 preorders, production will take about 1 months ( @ 250/wk)
shipping may take some time ( atleast 1 wk after it gets shipped to India).

in current situation,
- Case is not complete yet, new company is making changes so this may take a month or two, ( production -> ship test case to ED -> correction -> more test etc.,)
- Devs may find some things that may need correction.

So overall I expect it to be 4-6 months.

From reading the pyra kernel list, it feels like an awfully long time since anyone found anything that required a revision (the last one being the charge limiting resistor, which I recall was found a good few months ago now, just ED didn't have any new prototypes to build back then). Perhaps more eyes will result in a few issues that require new CPU modifications, but I don't anticipate many of them, if any at all. The CPU boards as of now can run pyra os basically idle indefinitely, and have been able to run web browser and things since over a year as I recall.

I'm sorry, I was too harsh and I regret what I said. I just don't understand being entirely negative about the Pyra from the moment one joins the boards. What is the point of being here then?

Has he been negative about it since he joined last year? His behaviour hasn't stood out to me like that thus far, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now.

It wasn't clear to me exactly what he was doing; he took a post out of an older news post and updated it, showing that that author had anticipated a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet. That's probably not trolling per se, but his summation of it wasn't positive I guess.

Back