Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 11, 2019.

1. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

That's the actual problem. I'm not into Smartphones or Tablets so I must ask. But from Laptops I know that the Companies also usualy don't focus much onto propper and SILENT (!) cooling. They only build in what's really close to the minimum requirements. Geting a silent and gaming capable Laptop is almost impossible.

The Pyra has a modular CPU socket, I guess that's the main issue in our case which makes a "professional" cooling solution (heatpipes) so dfficult.
    Of course this makes sense for the average Smartphone User. I asked because I think onto the Pyra, many users may run more demanding programs that require longer and higher max load like games, emulators, compiling, whatever.

Since my Watercooling AIO broke, I use a normal 90mm CPU heatsink/Fan in my Mini-ITX case. Since it's only a 65W i5 CPU, the fan and some case fans (80 and 120 mm) will do the job. Not as good as the AIO but at least I have decent Noctua Fans installed, they do a great job actualy and are dead silent too.

Wow, Wall'o text, thx for your detailed explanations, ED. I didn't want to steal all you time in writing here so sorry for that. ^^"

2. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

I guess, the length to what he cuts them to fit is shorter than the width. So rotated by 450 degrees they woulnd't. ? They could still be cut in two directions, though.

That's what I meant earlier. No matter what's your design, they heat flow goes up with the difference in temperature between yout hottie and the environment.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019, Original Post Date: Apr 17, 2019 ---
    I meant pumping water through. Also, your were asking about tablets. ;)

3. CrystalGamma

CrystalGamma Member

I'm not sure downclocking an idle CPU makes a lot of difference, since (I assume) it will be clock-gated (⇒ basically no dynamic power) when idle (maybe even power-gated). I'm pretty sure SoC CPUs don't run an infinite loop when idle, they just don't run at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Well, it's how it worked on the Pandora with its OMAP 3 chip. Maybe assuming the OMAP 5 works the same is a failure on my part, but until shown otherwise I'm assuming it's basically the same with a few headline differences.

5. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Advanced Member

The difference is not as significant as you might expect. The wasted energy and therefore generated heat depends on which parts of the pipeline are active, the more complex the pipeline components you currently use are the more transistors will waste energy and generate heat. If you're only executing NOPs, you hardly use anything - you are already really close to not using any energy at all, especially if the microcode of the CPU is able to detect what you're trying to do.

A CPU never stops when idle, it only stops if you actively shut it down, e.g. for a standby mode.

6. elvissteinjr

elvissteinjr Very Active Member

I mean, the prototypes I had the chance to play with over the years were alright with the thermals (though, only running at 1 GHz iirc), but reading this reminds me how I really wouldn't mind having a fan on this thing.
    It doesn't need to run all times, maybe not even much at all. But it sounds way better than throttling on time constrained tasks (games).

You don't need to tell me how this won't affect me at all. There will be many games and apps that'll unthrottled for sure. And yet we'll likely also have enough stuff hitting the performance ceiling too.

xnopasaranx and levi like this.
  7. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

@elvissteinjr You could drill a hole into the case, attach a straw and suck when gaming.

FBnil, Pyramancer, Neelix and 3 others like this.
  8. rv6502-2

rv6502-2 Still Fresh

While we're straying into the realm of silly humorous cooling solutions...

There are tiny piezo fans that could even work at ultrasonic speeds at really tiny scales.

And fingers might get numb very quickly due to the imperceptible vibration. But it's something that'd fit in that tiny space :D
    Sell more replacement parts due to people dropping theirs after their hands go numb :D

Remember the USB power capacitor that made noise? That was acting as a piezo element.

Hey, @EvilDragon let's bring back that capacitor and attach a tiny flap to it! We got our cooling solution. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    xnopasaranx, FBnil, NetBLOKS and 4 others like this.
  9. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Advanced Member

10. docbroke

docbroke Still Fresh

This should be one cheap linux phone. Though I have doubts about it's quality.

11. Hellfleck

Hellfleck Member

lets not forget ionic winds ... put a few kV on and the air will move

rv6502-2 and Djoga'Ro like this.
  12. docbroke

docbroke Still Fresh

We just need to start playing some games, processor will heat --> air will get hot --> air will start moving. If you know this no cooling solution is needed. VOILA :D

13. tarator

tarator Very Active Member

This looks rather noisy! For sure a robust solution for really dirty/wet/greasy environments.

14. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Are you a bat?

FBnil likes this.
  15. tarator

AH wow! they are really quite silent. Didn't expect that. Thought a flattering sheet might be noisy.

16. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

It's too fast for us to hear.

17. tarator

You'll always hear the airflow itself...

18. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Yeah, from turbulences, but the sound it produces directly - as an oscilating membrane is ultrasonic.
    I'm more astonished, that it can get to that amplitute or that the air doesn't restrict the amplitute more at that speed. Does it maybe rather bend in waves, but a single curve?

19. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Yeah, although I've ran it for a long time on 500Mhz without issues... In theory if we can come up with a proper Frequency to voltage table, we could have a setup like the Pandora and have a full range of frequencies we can set.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  20. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

... but will it thus attract mosquito's and make wolf howl?

Djoga'Ro likes this.