Slackware for Pandora 14.0

Just copied a 4G file from network to SD, and SD to SD (console's cp and thunar): no problem on current.

I'm not gonna dig it on 14.0, as the 14.1 is considered as beta x86 side, and i'm focusing on this. Hope you'll understand ;^) .

i Just followed instructions for getting to run SL4P-14.0.8 on my first batch openpandora with 2.6.27.46-omap1 kernel from 2010. When the boot process starts i can see the log til a kernel panic. The last messages on screen are:

>Console switching to colour framebufferr..

>twl4030_rtc setting system clock to a correct time

>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

>Freeing init memory: 148k

FATAL: kernel too old

>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Any hint on what to try is appreciated.

Did you pressed R at boot (because it's not needed) ?

What is the brand + reference of you SD card ?

What is the brand + reference of you SD card ?
Ola Linux-SWAT I have tried with and without pressing 'R'. Now regarding the card brand:

Patriot LX Series 32GB class 10 SD-HC Might well be this card cause i managed to get pandebian running on another brand card.

Just copied a 4G file from network to SD, and SD to SD (console's cp and thunar): no problem on current.

I'm not gonna dig it on 14.0, as the 14.1 is considered as beta x86 side, and i'm focusing on this. Hope you'll understand ;^) .
Is your Pandora the 1GHZ 512MB version? 

I just installed current version (current-8), and had the exact same problem as before copying large files.  I wonder if it has to do with me having a 1st gen Pandora.

I wonder what Mindlord's version of Pandora is?

... totally understand not spending the time digging into this though.  I don't recall having this issue on earlier version, so I may revert. :)

I thought I'd give this another go, but when I was setting up the user, I typed "ls" in the home directory, then it asked me to confirm the account or the press Ctrl+C to cancel. I hit Ctrl+C (which didn't do anything). Anyway, I now only have a root account.

So I used the command line "useradd" to add my day-to-day user, and every time I try and log in with it, it says "Failed to execute login command"

What do I do now? How do I set my user up?

Edit: Found the solution. I needed to copy /root/.xinitrc to my home directory (as I had to create it myself)

Edit 2: Hmmm, this doesn't give me the same desktop as I had in root, left shoulder and mouse doesn't let me move windows, and alt and mouse doesn't give me a right click. How do I fix this?

Edit 3: Also can't run op_wifi.sh to enable the wireless "Sorry, user is not allowed to execute as root on darkstar."

Last edited by a moderator:
Never tried to skip the login creation part.

Anyway, adduser creates a user, and put /etc/skel/* in the home, so it should be ok.

Maybe cp -r /home/skel/.*

sudo op_wifi.sh

Are you using 14.0 or -current ?

Downloaded the 14.0-8

That was with "sudo" on the WiFi call

I'll try copying the other "." files across later, I'm back on Angstrom ATM.

Cheers

Where do I get that from?

The link to downloads on the first post only has 14.0-5, 14.0-6, and 14.0-8; and the Wiki doesn't have any links

This probably is a dumb question, but anyway: I still have a very old version of Slackware on my card, I want to update it to the latest stable version. After reading the Wiki I'm still not sure what to do.

Is it sufficient to just do

slackpkg update
slackpkg upgrade-all

and this will update whatever version I have (eg. 14.0) to the latest (14.08)?

Or do I have to also install the SL4P-specific and Kernel updates in addition?

Or is there another recommended way of updating?

I thought about making a clean install, but I would prefer not to start from scratch ...

I must say that i use often Slackware on the Pandora..

Wonderfull System.

You do so much with this Operating System

and here a big THX ;)

Slackpkg is used  to update the main distribution packages, but not my own OP additions.

So using it will not bring you the new rootfs.

You'd better dl and install the -current, or wait for the 14.1.

Thx Ingo ;^).

Do you plan to implement an update mechanism for your OP additions and do you already know roughly when 14.1 will be released?

Thanks for the great work!

There is a link in the wiki:

"Grab the latest -current (unstable) rootfs here."
Hmmm, that's not very obvious, maybe worth a "Downloads" section of the page to make it easier to find?
I'll grab it when I get home. Hopefully it won't take all night to extract like 14.0-8 did

Cheers

Here is a Link for German Users who want Slackware 14.08+WineX86+GLSHIM on the Pandora.

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=193472#p193472

This Time had i used DD for Image making.
This Image can be written on everey Linux Machine onto the minimum 8GB SD Card.

Happy trying and...
...the Sudo Errors are fixed in this Image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back