Slackware for Pandora 14.0

Did you compile wxwidgets with it, too? That's required for the GUI.

For the OP version I used wxwidgets' GTK variant, IIRC.

Hey Linux-SWAT,

thanks a lot for RC3!

One remark: I just was asked on first boot and login, if I want to autologin in the future. I clicked "Yes". Then I skimmed the readme file opened in GVIM on startup, and there, in the section "Bugs", is written: "- no autologin".

You might remove that line now. ;-) (autologin works perfectly!)

One more small issue: on each login I see the NetworkManager's notification "Disconnected" in the upper right corner for a few seconds.

Nut sure what's causing this. I did not touch NetworkManager at all since installing RC3 on a fresh ext2 partition.

Thanks for QT3!

It will give me the opportunity to try to compile KDEPIM/PI, the great PIM suite by Lutz Rogowski, on SL4P. Will try it soon. If this would work, it would be really great.

Hi Linux-SWAT,

would be great, if you could make the start menu come up, if the Pandora key is pressed, as Pandora OS does it. I almost always use the keyboard to launch programs via the menu.

Another issue, that's new in RC3:

My SD card has an additional FAT partition, that was mounted automatically until RC2 (I think). In RC3 it is not mounted on startup. I have to mount it manually to access it.

Thank you very much!

@ingoreis: Qcad up and running. It's on the repo.

To launch it, use the desktop icon or type /opt/qcad/qcad

There is also an additional package named qcad-partlibrary.

@mrcranky, will look at it.

@hmc:

wxWidgets is included in wxPython, which is shipped in the SL4P rootfs.

Ok for the release notes ^^.

Noticed about the network manager. I suppose it doesn't appears when clicking on "do not show anymore" ?

I'm not fond of the way the pandora button opens the menu. Also i thought about using it for some other purpose, but never worked on this because i had many bugs to kick out ^^.

Mmm on this release, i just enabled two auto mount options in the Xfce removable drives manager.

Anyway, if it's resident on your card, you can tweak /etc/fstab, which is not a big deal:

@mrcranky

PCSX ReARMed works perfectly here (as usual).

But indeed Snes9x4P doesn't anymore :/.

Try to install it through sbopkg. I don't make games packages for now.

There's also bsnes and zsnes.

I'm not fond of the way the pandora button opens the menu. Also i thought about using it for some other purpose, but never worked on this because i had many bugs to kick out ^^.

Is there another way to open the menu using the keyboard? I don't like to grab the stylus or use the finger in the small corner of the screen, just in order to raise the menu (further menu navigation can be done nicely with the keyboard only; just showing the menu at all currently seems to require touchscreen/mouse interaction).

Mmm on this release, i just enabled two auto mount options in the Xfce removable drives manager.

Anyway, if it's resident on your card, you can tweak /etc/fstab, which is not a big deal:

right, I'll do this.

I just wonder, why automount for such partitions doesn't work anymore, although it did before (I believe).

The command is:

xfce4-popup-menu

It's easy to bind a key under Xfce.

There's many methods to mount partitions. I just went the lazy way.

WOOW!!

Awesome,many thx for Qcad.

I think its a very good Surprise for the German Forum User Jonnson R.

In the German Forum i presented now your Slackware 14 ^_^ now more easy to install with odinary Windows :lol:

http://forum.gp2x.de...=182009#p182009

FOR WINDOWS USERS:

All you need is

1: The Windows Freeware USBIT for Images

http://mcobit.openpa...kware/usbit.zip

2: The Image from Slackware14RC3:

http://mcobit.openpa...ckware14RC3.imz

(warning File is 5GB Big,dont save it on Fat32 Storages)

Then Start USBIT ,Choose your 16GB SD Card,press Restore and Choose your Slackware Image B)

slackware.JPG

No Partitionating,no Formating,no Tar Commands or near,the Software USBIT makes all for you then ^_^

Happy easier installing :)

And Enjoy the very good work from Linux Swat ;)

Dont scare,but after installing must reboot the Image twice,then it works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the info. I´ll try out the other snes emulators and post what works. Also, I'll reload the psx emu and see if I can get it going.

And, as someone else mentioned, you should let us know how to send a few dollars to donate for the work you´ve done. I've been using slackware too much to not send a small thank you.

GREAT NEWS

--------------------

Another unbelievible information.

I had desmume successfully compiled with your Slackware and it work slow but

now i have NDS Emulation on the Pandora :D

(i tested it with Homebrew Games and its slow,but with Touchscreensupport.

Tomorrow evening will i try to make a Video for Youtube :rolleyes: )

Another interesting Information:

The 100mah Power from the USB-OTG Port from the Pandora is enough powerfull to use a DVB-T Stick,

then you dont need ever a Hub ^_^

Worked here fine.

Another thing,i cannot overvolt the Pandora or overclock to 1GHZ under Slack.

Have you a solution for that?

and first good night :)

I'm not very "into" Linux (altough I use it daily), so forgive my noobish view of the mechanisms:

Is there a mechnismen that lets you *browse* (via commandline or preferebly via a Gui) through a editable list of buildrepositories. Much like (debian based) Ubuntu:

having ubuntu-main, restricted, etc.

Using websites to get Pandora specific builds feels not very comfortable and future proof.

I haven't tested yet if it works, but the easiest solution could be to use the Truecrypt PND from the repo.

If this does not work, maybe Truecrypt is already available for SL4P as a package to be installed?

I compiled truecrypt and it's dependencies, and added them to the 14.0 repo.

I would rather have something like ecryptfs. Something that came up with this tought: How about separating OS and Home in two partitions ?

In the German Forum i presented now your Slackware 14 ^_^ now more easy to install with odinary Windows :lol:

http://forum.gp2x.de...=182009#p182009

No Partitionating,no Formating,no Tar Commands or near,the Software USBIT makes all for you then ^_^
Good Call !! Makes things really easy - especially for people that don't use Linux on their other PC at all

@ingoreis:

Great !

How is generated the .imz ?

You should make a whole new thread in other OS.

Depends of the stick. Some needs more current.

Strange, OPP and MHz settings always worked fine on my CC unit.

Is dmesg reporting something strange when tweaking things ?

Did you tried the cpu stress test to see if it can get higher than your limit ?

-----------------

@mrcranky:

I will make a thread about the donation idea.

-----------------

@thatgui:

I will make an announcement about a package manager i installed two days ago, and will ship in my next release.

I just have to check some stuff before.

Dunno about ecryptfs. Seems like truecrypt, no ?

Separating /home will quickly lead to space problem on 8G cards, which i'd like to keep as the minimal SD size. Also, it's a piece of cake to do it manually.

How is generated the .imz ?
The IMZ is Created by the Tool USBIT ^_^

Strange, OPP and MHz settings always worked fine on my CC unit.
Is dmesg reporting something strange when tweaking things ?

Did you tried the cpu stress test to see if it can get higher than your limit ?

Hmm the CPU Speed PND works fine but the CPU Setting PND starts,but i cannot change anything.

Is there a Way to set OPP and the Max allowed MHZ up?

With OPP3 can my Pandora use ~840MHZ with OPP5 max 1035-1040MHZ

Dmesg register nothing when i use the CPU Settings PND :rolleyes:

CPUSTRESS havent i tested yet.

Two big news:

-As leaked before, a graphical package manager now works, allowing an easy install of the custom packages i compiled.

No dependencies management for now, but it's not a big deal as checking them manually is easy.

gslapt_main.png

-And Twinkle is finally up and running after two days of pain.

It's by far the best VOIP program i've tested and i'll include them in the next rootfs. Of course, i optimized it for the Pandora.

It just have a bug, when closing the application, a process still lives. Should be trivial to find a workaround.

mainwindow.png

I have to test them before release.

Have also some other things to add to the next version before pushing another -rc.

For those who want to test the package manager, get these:

http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/sl4p/sl4p-14.0/packages/shipped/slapt-get-0.10.2o-armv7l-1.tgz

http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/sl4p/sl4p-14.0/packages/shipped/gslapt-0.5.3h-arm-1.tgz

su -

installpkg *slapt*

Then (always as root):

gslapt

Very important: you'll have to remove the Slackware ARM (ARMedslack) repository, then add this:

http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/sl4p/sl4p-14.0/packages/extra

You still have to check dependencies here:

http://slackbuilds.org/

The screenshot before going to bed.

Here's the new menu layout, i was fed up by the classic one. Too much useless stuff, too much space eaten.

Gn all.

New Layout.png

I'm now sending a new -rc.

Should be uploaded in 3 hours.

I did some little tweaks, mainly on Xfce, but big things are the package manager and twinkle softphone.

There is two annoying things with twinkle:

- a warning at start, just ignore it.

- a process that still lives when quitting the app, so i provided a twinkle disable button.

I compiled twinkle with the latest libraries, including the latest zrtp crypto lib:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZRTP

A quick note about twinkle, i just noticed it's bugged when launched from the menu.

It must be launched from the terminal.

--EDIT: update 2:

I also have trouble with audio reception...

Thanks for creating and maintaining this distribution. It has a lot more programs (and more up to date programs) than the main Pandora OS, and the lack of them was leaving me feeling severely limited seeing as I want to use this device as a general purpose mobile computer. I still plan to get an archlinux setup going as I love its package management system, but that may or may not work out depending on what hardware I can get working well.

Few questions:

1) The battery life seems significantly less than on the Pandora's main OS. For example, when the screen is closed: ~28 hours rather than ~150; during general usage: ~12 hours rather than ~25. I haven't tested more demanding applications such as an emulator, but firefox with wifi on would momentarily bring the estimates down to 5 hours or so with a mostly full charge. I didn't find any info on the Slackware for Pandora wiki pertaining to this, but is it due to the kernel not taking advantage of the same hardware features that the main pandora OS's kernel does? Or might it be due the extra power needed for the increased activity on the SDHC slot?

2) Would you suggest buying a class 10 SDHC card to run the slackware distribution from? Right now I'm using a 16GB class 6 SDHC card and I'm wondering if there would be a significant difference in performance. Naturally when you're running the OS from the SDHC card rather than the NAND flash things are much less responsive, but I'm looking to minimize that. I'm tempted to remove the original Pandora OS and put the main parts of your slackware distribution on the NAND flash (and then tweak it to minimize writes).

3) What did it take to get the 3d driver/module working well on slackware? I would love to do the same on the Archlinux ARM port that wej put together (if it's even possible...)

Back