Slackware for Pandora 14.0

1) The battery life seems significantly less than on the Pandora's main OS. For example, when the screen is closed: ~28 hours rather than ~150; during general usage: ~12 hours rather than ~25. I haven't tested more demanding applications such as an emulator, but firefox with wifi on would momentarily bring the estimates down to 5 hours or so with a mostly full charge. I didn't find any info on the Slackware for Pandora wiki pertaining to this, but is it due to the kernel not taking advantage of the same hardware features that the main pandora OS's kernel does? Or might it be due the extra power needed for the increased activity on the SDHC slot?
I editet this File manualy and saw that OPP5 is activated,set it on a Classic Pandora or Rebirth Pandora to OPP3 and

save lot more energy(not on 1GHZ Units)

/etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf

2) Would you suggest buying a class 10 SDHC card to run the slackware distribution from? Right now I'm using a 16GB class 6 SDHC card and I'm wondering if there would be a significant difference in performance. Naturally when you're running the OS from the SDHC card rather than the NAND flash things are much less responsive, but I'm looking to minimize that. I'm tempted to remove the original Pandora OS and put the main parts of your slackware distribution on the NAND flash (and then tweak it to minimize writes).

A bigger SD Card is mostly not faster,because the Pandora SD Reader is Speedlimited.

I found that out with installing Windows95 with Qemu,on a USB Stick work it many faster as my Sandisk Extreme Speed SD 16GB Card.

The 3d Question cannot i answer,but i am very impressed what all work.

EGL,Freeglut,MESA work and in tha last Qemu Configuration say it

OPENGL=YES

I must try out more but when i can open Qemu in a 2D Accelerated GL Window,is maybe more Processor Speed for trying more Games.Maybe the entire Qemu Grafics work better/faster :rolleyes:

WOOOOW a next RC???

I will be happy to Try it and a little Question for you Linux-Swat:

I found no Lid-Close Settings,because the Display is working too when i close the Pandora under Slackware here ;)

Very good work

@asdfffdsa

1- The USB is enabled by default:

http://pandorawiki.o...and_powersaving

Without that, the autonomy is exactly the same as with Zaxxon on SD.

2- I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme cards:

http://www.sandisk.c...emory-cards/sd/

Extreme Pro are too fast, and Ultra too slow.

Well, depending on what you're doing you may notice or not the increased speed.

3- I took the kernel + modules (3d module inside) from Zaxxon, so it's basically just a copy/paste.

I also recompile a kernel from time to time, so i grab the sgx sources from the pandora git.

As far as i know, Arch is arm hard float (as opposed to Zaxxon and Slack arm soft float), so the 3d module won't work unless the chip maker ships a new firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found no Lid-Close Settings,because the Display is working too when i close the Pandora under Slackware here ;)
Mmm strange, my screen shuts down when i close the screen.

The lid close setting should be there.

Can't check now 'cause my OP is compiling like crazy under fvwm.

So i can confirm that lid shutdown leads to screen off, also the script is here in the menus.

Latest SL4P news: Enlightenment !!!

Didn't configured it yet, 'cause i've other things to do. Raw screenshots FYEO.

You will also notice that the window managers list is huge.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

@ingo: Any news from the german CAD users ? ;^)

@misterbrisby: Enlightenment fan ?

@SL4P users, something i forgot to mention: the Xfce terminal icon on the deskbar launches Terminator.

It's pretty long to start, and consumes 2X more ram than the Xfce's classic Terminal, so don't use it as a comparison point with Zaxxon.

So why do i choose this one as default ?

Terminator is a _true_ UTF-8 console. Even urxvt can't match. It also supports plenty of other encodings, and have native splitting.

Hi the Cad Users from the German Forum have not enough Time at moment to Try,but they are

Happy that now Cad Software exist on the Pandora :rolleyes:

I prepared and uploaded a new Image with your Slackware RC4 here

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/PandoraSlackware/Slackware14RC4.imz

The other thread with easy Slackware installing will i Update now too ^_^

And then i enjoy your System with newest Patches from you :D

Cool ^^.

I myself failed again vs Libre Office after a 48h build rush :/.

OO surely won't compile at all. It's too crippled.

At each LO version, i see the compile progressing better and also longer.

I've requested some help, but seems i'll have to wait...

Hope i'll soon get a response from ED about the Slackware dev fund through him, and get a 1GHz unit.

Opening my own Paypal will be my last resort.

Whoaaaaa the help is coming fast:

ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/slackwarearm/slackwarearm-14.0/ChangeLog.txt

I've added OpenJDK (Java Development Kit) and OpenJRE (Java Runtime Environment)

packages. Thanks to Eric Hameleers.

patches/packages/openjdk-7u9_b30-arm-1_slack14.0.txz: Added.

The Java Development Kit. If you want to develop in Java, this package plus

'rhino' (below) will suit your needs.

patches/packages/openjre-7u9_b30-arm-1_slack14.0.txz: Added.

The Java Runtime Environment. Unless you're developing Java code, this package

will plus 'rhino' (below) suffice to run Java binaries.

patches/packages/icedtea-web-20120225-arm-1_slack14.0.txz: Added.

This is a web browser plugin to enable the execution of Java Applets.

patches/packages/rhino-1_7R3-noarch-1_slack14.0.txz: Added.

This is a run-time dependency for OpenJDK/OpenJRE.

@asdfffdsa

1- The USB is enabled by default:

http://pandorawiki.o...and_powersaving

Without that, the autonomy is exactly the same as with Zaxxon on SD.

2- I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme cards:

http://www.sandisk.c...emory-cards/sd/

Extreme Pro are too fast, and Ultra too slow.

Well, depending on what you're doing you may notice or not the increased speed.

3- I took the kernel + modules (3d module inside) from Zaxxon, so it's basically just a copy/paste.

I also recompile a kernel from time to time, so i grab the sgx sources from the pandora git.

As far as i know, Arch is arm hard float (as opposed to Zaxxon and Slack arm soft float), so the 3d module won't work unless the chip maker ships a new firmware.

Thanks for the info.

Also, forgive me for being ignorant of this, but can you elaborate on what you mean by Arch ARM's being hard float preventing the soft float 3d module from working? (even if you're unsure of whether or not it's true) Are you saying there might be certain parts of Archlinux ARM compiled with hardware floating point operations and that this could make the soft float compiled 3d module incompatible with it? If so, what such parts of Arch ARM are (or could be) compiled this way? (and say if it's the kernel, Xorg related things, DRI, etc etc: couldn't they just be recompiled with soft floats instead?) I'm not very knowledgeable about 3d hardware or the linux/X interface/abstraction layers to it, so again forgive me.

As you couldn't convince because there's still no LibreOffice I'll give you an other chance :D .

Are there any drivers for DisplayLink?

It'd be for presentations and desktop stuff. No need to be fluid with games. I simply want to be able to get proper 600x800 out of Pandora (the resolution of the projectors we use at university).

I'm retrying LO compile with the brand new official OpenJDK.

DisplayLink should work, you'll have to compile stuff (i can try to compile myself, but you'll probably have to configure things).

What is your exact model ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any DisplayLink stuff for now.

It was more a "is it possible" question.

You said yes and it's a further reason for me to get slackware.

I'll get the model you suggest and what's bet to use.

Will start downloading right now.

Does it matter if slackware is on the first partition of my SD?

Of course I'll have to modify the boot.txt data.

PanDebian is on my first partition.

I'll have to backup this partition first then.

As I have a Windows computer at home I can go the easy way :D .

Then I'll care about DisplayLink.

No need to hurry, everything step by step.

Back