Shortest newspost ever... for now!

Well, I usually don't carry hammers around with me - and I doubt I could've taken it with me on the plane.

An anecdote that happened to me:

munich airport, boarding, (4years ago).

I forgot to put my pocket knife out of my trousers and leave it at home. So I put all the metal things out of my clothes and showed the knife to the officer (I was sure that she will retain the knife).
But the officer looked at me. She took a tool out of her pocket, measured the blade of the knife. Then she said to me: "It's okay, only 9cm Blade. You can take it with you"

After me an old man and his wife tried to take 2 juice-boxes with them. But the officer said: "No. Thats 150ml each. You can't get this with you on the plane."

Thats germany

@zedr0k If we were allowed to carry gund with us up to a certain caliber in public, we sure could bring those on a plane - not a Super Soaker, though, 'cause for fluids on planes there are special regulations.
Only a matter of time, until draining the bladder before check-in is mandatory.

Sounds great. Is it possible to use this fibre-glas enstrengthened plastic for a smal serie of pandora-cases?

Humans shouldn’t allowed on planes, because 75 % of our body is water ..

You can carry fluid explosives in a bottle..
I ditnt think you would survive long enough if you carry these stuff in your bladder..

Back to topic: dit the Plastic arrived in the factory??

An anecdote that happened to me:

munich airport, boarding, (4years ago).

I forgot to put my pocket knife out of my trousers and leave it at home. So I put all the metal things out of my clothes and showed the knife to the officer (I was sure that she will retain the knife).
But the officer looked at me. She took a tool out of her pocket, measured the blade of the knife. Then she said to me: "It's okay, only 9cm Blade. You can take it with you"
I had made exactly the same experience in Munich ca. 9 years ago. In my case, the officer just took his badge to compare the size of the blade. I always thought that it was an exceptional and unique experience and since then checked my pockets and knife twice :)

And another anecdote: ca. 25 years ago I did travel through the USA and simply left the pocket knife in my pocket. From ca. 14 flights I did, the X-Ray machines did ring only once. Well, at that time there were even people boarding with multiple rifles as hand-luggage...

How much the world has changed since then.

I think Ed is being made drunk on ouzo while being fed gyros with tzaziki by the plastic companies... He might get kidnapped at the throwing of the dishes as there's plenty distraction at that time...

I had made exactly the same experience in Munich ca. 9 years ago. In my case, the officer just took his badge to compare the size of the blade. I always thought that it was an exceptional and unique experience and since then checked my pockets and knife twice :)

And another anecdote: ca. 25 years ago I did travel through the USA and simply left the pocket knife in my pocket. From ca. 14 flights I did, the X-Ray machines did ring only once. Well, at that time there were even people boarding with multiple rifles as hand-luggage...

How much the world has changed since then.

LOL, happened to me too, it was like 20 years ago, I always had that knife with me for years, so I didn't thought about it until I arrived at the metal detector... I extracted it in fear they wanted to take it, but they just nodded and I happily boarded the plane

thanks for the updates! may a wise solution be found.

i really like this fibreglass-plastic strenght a lot.
the satin look of it is nice too, but i hope one will not see seams in the finish, as the light gets somehow dispersed when looking from different angles.

• Produce 5 sets with the new material sample, triple check again everything fits as it should.
  • Produce 500 sets of transparent cases with FormAction. These will be sold in the shop.
Does this mean that the pre-pre-order-prototypes will need to be either 'new material sample' or transparent?

I'm good with either - or even both. I'd like to get a 2nd set of case plastics and a 2nd battery added in so it can all ship together - whenever we get to where that is relevant.

Glad to see progress!

Nice summary.

I'm not sure I would mind glossy so much if it wouldn't attract fingerprints, but I guess that depends on it being a mottled colour, to distract the eye away from the straight and curved lines of fingerprint grease, since I doubt it has an intrinsic oleophobic tendencies. And I'm not sure how glossy it would be given the mould has specular bumps moulded in I thought.

It sounds to me like ED is planning to send out all preorders (whether they're pre-pre or just pre-orders) using cases from the second, more robust print run and reserve the slightly more fragile clear cases for the shop, but I guess he might offer transparent cases for a few pre-orders. You'll probably have to pay extra for them though.

I plan to use physically correct cases for the prototypes, including speakers, sealing, cooling, etc.
That's something we haven't implemented in most dev units yet.

Reactions: szr
Re: Knives
I think I used to fly on planes with smallish pocket knives (maybe up to Buck 110 size). I don't remember when they stupid allowing knives, or what other restrictions on them or other items/fluids were at a given time, since they keep changing here. Much of it seems like BS to me, as many things that could just as easily be used as weapons are permitted, such as scissors (basically two knives) and pens (stabbity-stabbity daggers?). Might as well strip us of our clothes and take our shoe strings since we might try to strangle somebody with them. Oh, and ban all martial artists or others that might be risky. I can't remember if nail clipped are allowed.

I suspect (or hope) it isn't all security theatre in other countries. It sounds like Germany might have people that actually think about things. Would they permit Swiss army knives, and are these more of a (real) that to a plane than a knife with no other tools? I almost never check a bag, so it would be good for me to find this stuff out if I fly on a commercial flight. Maybe they can just put a note that I have a pocket knife, give me an extra pat down, then take my bag containing my knife and throw it under the plane before I board. Not sure if they do stuff like that on the big ones (on smaller planes they often take some larger carry on luggage and put it underneath, and give it back when you land). Now I wonder what tools are permitted as carry on (thinking more of crimpers than hammers).

I think Ed is being made drunk on ouzo while being fed gyros with tzaziki by the plastic companies...
Haven't tried drinking it myself, so I would give it a shot. I would love the food, though.

Ok, gotta read today's update.

One thing that confuses me about all this: if there's only one set of moulds, why does it matter that one company has 16 injectors while the other only has 2? It's not like you can parallelize the injection of a single mould, can you?

Reactions: szr
Summary for ED: I prefer the fiberglass reinforced plastic over the scratch resistant, but either is fine if it isn't a fingerprint magnet. Metallic sparkle is fine if you like it. Please go with dark grey (not quite black) or dark red for the production run. I will add a clear case to my order when they are available. See if you can keep in touch with the CEO's son as a contact in the new company.

Anyone that has been around for a bit probably knew I would talk about case color and such. I don't think the glossiness of the plastic will be much of a problem if the molds have texture added to the outer surface, which I understood would be the, uh, case. I am in favour of a matte material, but as long as it isn't slick and a fingerprint magnet I don't mind much.

After the Pandora case, and seeing the ED thumb destruction video I strongly prefer the fiberglass reinforced plastic, with whatever added stuff to it. Strength and durability are more important to me than looking pretty and scratch free. I don't have a problem buying a second case to get the more durable option.

As for color, I still like the dark grey and a dark red similar to the renders we have been looking at for years. Add a bit of the metallic sparkle if you want (it makes it more visually interesting, but not a big deal to me either way). The dark grey and dark red were pretty popular colors, and I think the dark grey will be bland enough that it should be ok for those that want a handheld video game console that will stand out less in their cube farm or office environments. Still not sure how it is supposed to make any sense to bring a toy to work and have it look "professional".

Add a clear case to my order. I will figure out what to do with it later. If nothing else it can be a fun backup for me later. Or maybe I can mix the case parts if they fit together right.

Oh, and keep in touch with the CEO's son. In addition to being actually involved in making the cases, maybe he can be a contact at the company that can make sure things are moving ahead and done properly. As the son of the CEO he might also have the ear of the higher ups than other people working on the production floor.
[doublepost=1510714139,1510713571][/doublepost]
One thing that confuses me about all this: if there's only one set of moulds, why does it matter that one company has 16 injectors while the other only has 2? It's not like you can parallelize the injection of a single mould, can you?
Because FormAction might push off the run of Pyra cases in favour of those that will bring in more money. This is less of a possibility if the company has other injector thingies, as they can do the big money runs and the smaller ones at the same time. It is probably more profitable for them to be running as many of those 16 as possible than to skip the ones that only want 500 or 1000 sets if they have 8 orders of 100,000 sets.

Not sure I am explaining it clearly. Pyra is more likely to be pushed off if other companies with bigger runs worth more money are waiting in line and there are only 2 injection machines or whatever vs. 16.

Back