SGX driver installer (beta)

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Due to high demand I've packaged various SGX drivers that were released by TI into a (maybe) easy to use .pnd.
I've listed all known drivers here: http://pandorawiki.org/SGX_drivers

Warning: the 3D driver update may go wrong and you may need to reflash to recover.

(nobody reported problems so far but still, it can happed)

Requirements:
- SuperZaxxon 1.54 or later
- 20MB+ of free NAND space

Instructions:
1. Make sure you have SuperZaxxon 1.54 or later (version is shown while booting)
2. Download and run this pnd: http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/sgx_drivers_r2.pnd
X. In case of problems, reflash instructions are here: http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware

If you have a 1GHz unit, you should try the "4.03.00.02" driver, seems to fix AvP glitches for me, but it breaks mupen64plus.

Note: TI/Imgtec dropped support for older OMAP3 chips after driver version 4.00.00.01 (driver upto 4.04.00.04 are still installable but broken), so all newer drivers are not installable on CC units.

Note2: most of the newer drivers don't work in X mode, but they do seem to work in framebuffer mode if you have Rebirth or 1GHz. In code, you get framebuffer mode if you specify EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY to eglGetDisplay() and NULL to eglCreateWindowSurface(). Until better solution can be found, this can be used to make use of those drivers (you can make fullscreen SDL window to hide desktop and just use SGX in framebuffer mode without interfering with anything).

Last edited by a moderator:
We waited long for a new working Driver for our Pandora ^_^

Many Versions in the Past did not work right on both Pandoras.

and Many Thx for your Work,maybe we habe Speed improvements,no Grafical Glitches more on 1 GHZ ;)

I follow this Thread to read the News about this Driver.

Yehaah newer GFX Driver Version,thx :D (with Luck work this Driver very better/or faster) ;)

Hmm, does this newer kernel include the latest twl4030 fixes? (the 'set hw params' issue) I might just install it just for that.

Especially as you don't like those kind of non-universal stuff ;^).

Is it planned in any way to have a per unit dynamic driver loading in pndlibs pxml fields ?

I just wonder if a loaded sgx driver consumes current.

It would be nice if everyone who tested this stuff reported if it works so that I know this effort is good or bad, especially the updated kernel as it has quite a bit of changes.

Hmm, does this newer kernel include the latest twl4030 fixes? (the 'set hw params' issue) I might just install it just for that.
What twl4030 fixes, what 'set hw params' issue?
Is it planned in any way to have a per unit dynamic driver loading in pndlibs pxml fields ?
You want to tie SGX drivers to pnds? Now that's some crazy stuff, imagine reinstalling ATI/NVidia drivers before launching every game on a desktop PC..

It would be nice if everyone who tested this stuff reported if it works so that I know this effort good or bad, especially the updated kernel as it has quite a bit of changes.

>
You want to tie SGX drivers to pnds? Now that's some crazy stuff, imagine reinstalling ATI/NVidia drivers before launching every game on a desktop PC..

I think what he means is have the correct driver for each pandora type load when we re-flash. (PND libs would be pure madness)

It would be nice if everyone who tested this stuff reported if it works so that I know this effort is good or bad, especially the updated kernel as it has quite a bit of changes.

>
I'll try and get to testing this - it does contain something worth testing for CC Pandoras, right?

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9219-alsa-issue-twl4030-hifi-hw-params/

And for twl4030 I saw that Peter Ujfalusi did some recent (december) commits. I don't know if these fix this issue, but it would be nice if this gets resolved (my main project on the Pandora is completely useless without audio).

Was not reinstalling, but loading.

Ok, get it, the libs also have to be changed.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9219-alsa-issue-twl4030-hifi-hw-params/

And for twl4030 I saw that Peter Ujfalusi did some recent (december) commits. I don't know if these fix this issue, but it would be nice if this gets resolved (my main project on the Pandora is completely useless without audio).
The parameters in that thread were indeed invalid, the hardware can't support mono streams. After that was fixed jack was crashing, which looks like unrelated issue to me.About Peter's commits, they are mostly about refactoring the code to use things like device tree and generic kernel APIs, which has little to do with functionality.

I'm going to start beta testing some drivers for my rebirth.

Anybody currently running a stable newer release on their rebirth?

Well, before I headed off to work, I did the kernel update and selected the newest driver from the list. Nothing bricked, and the few things I tried were as functional as ever.

I then realized I had removed the problematic SGX stuff from my Pandora and didn't have anything to test out in that regard anyway. Derp. I shall endeavor to reinstall some tonight.

(Edit: 1GHz)

Tried to install on my CC unit.

First and second steps done, no problems. Come to run the SGX drivers PND, and it complains that my scripts are incompatible, and that I need to upgrade the firmware.

Which has already been done, as I said.

D.

Well, I can't really afford to lose anything from my NAND, I have a lot of custom stuff in there. I'll have to wait until this new kernel has been tested a bit more.

Good luck with this, I hope it works out. How come it breaks mupen64plus though? Just curious.

First and second steps done, no problems. Come to run the SGX drivers PND, and it complains that my scripts are incompatible, and that I need to upgrade the firmware.

You do the 1st step while connected to Internet I hope? And it shows no errors?Do you have a file named /etc/opkg/openpandora.org-feed.conf , and anything in it?

You do the 1st step while connected to Internet I hope? And it shows no errors?
Yep, fully connected. I get some messages that certain things aren't upgraded as they're already a newer version, but no actual errors.
Do you have a file named /etc/opkg/openpandora.org-feed.conf , and anything in it?
Why yes, I do:

src/gz omap3-pandora http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/machine/omap3-pandora
Hope that helps.

D.

Back