SGX driver outdated

I'd be happy with a driver that fixed the graphical glitches on 1GHz units with stuff like Descent.

I got all the modules loaded into the kernel and the pvr binaries/libs run fine, but the kernel module isn't creating a pvrsrvkm device.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to "mknod /dev/pvrsrvkm c $pvr_maj 0" it manually, where pvr_maj should be "bc" (or similar) from /proc/devices .

Well, if it would be possible to have the latest version running on Rebirth / 1GHz units and at the same time the older one on the CC units, I'd be happy with that.

After all, all new units are with a newer SoC, soon we'll have more GC units out there than CC and everyone could upgrade from his CC unit if he really urgently needs a more recent driver.

One problem is that you end up with feature disparity between pandoras, another is that newer drivers need DRI stuff that nobody has been able (or tried hard enough) to get working. Cloudef claims that newer kernel is required with omapdrm driver, meanwhile I'm not sure about all that (the driver DRI dependency appeared before omapdrm appeared in kernel).
It's possible to use the pvr Xorg driver from the driver SDK, but it was really horrible. Lots of applications crashed, and bad 2D performance.

(It also needs certain Xorg ABI to work, which is also shipped with the sdk)

Well, if it would be possible to have the latest version running on Rebirth / 1GHz units and at the same time the older one on the CC units, I'd be happy with that.
You might be happy but CC unit owners will be not, as newer games/ports will simply not work on their units.

You might be happy but CC unit owners will be not, as newer games/ports will simply not work on their units.
Would that really be the case?

I thought a more recent 3D driver has some performance increases and bugs removed.

So if a 3D game has graphical issues due to the old driver which can't be fixed, it won't currently work on any unit. 

But if the more recent units would make use of a more recent driver, these games would at least work there.

And if a game doesn't have glitches with both the old and new driver, it would work on all units, wouldn't it?

Or would games that theoretically would also work with the old driver stop working suddenly on it?

It would maybe not work on old units if you have to link against newer libs.

Notaz, I respect your attidude and understand your motivation.

There is simply one problem I see: It's not logical.

The newer games/ports won't work on CC units if we have the new driver.

They will work on Rebirth/Giga Pandoras if we have the new SGX driver.

Why not give those with newer Pandoras the chance to play those games?

Those games won't be playable on CC units anyway so there is no damage to those who have one.

It would maybe not work on old units if you have to link against newer libs.
That might be a problem.

Trying it nout is the best solution.

;) No one claims you want to do that.

For a non-dev (I call that myself as well) it's just unknown whether it's possible to use the new driver on the new units, the old one on the old ones (with the same firmware) and how much work is involved in that or whether it would break anything or not :)

Isn't it possible to run a script on "Install" to check what revision hardware one person has and place the appropriate driver?

But you will also need two versions of the pnd (or shipped in the same pnd).

It will also mean two versions of some programs.

First someone needs to get that driver working at all on any pandora, then we can think how to include it in firmware.
This ^^ I'm working on it though.

We already have mechanisms for slightly different versions of the SGX driver. It's not a huge stretch to have major version differences.

Back