Some general hardware related questions (oh and one sgx driver question).

crawford

Still Fresh
New proud owner of 1GHz pandora here,

I've read the hacker's manual, thank you MWeston, and the team, you guys rawk! (am also working my way through TI's spruf98x.pdf, but it's slow going).

Do any of the hardware gurus know why U32 is unpopulated on rev6D board? What chip was going to be used, and I'm curious as to the function of int1 and int2 test pads leading from this footprint.

Is the RTC internal to the twl4030 (dmesg registered twl_rtc as rtc0)? There were also a mention on the board (http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/9899-time-and-date-drifting/#entry246349) that there is possibly a meaty cap that retains enough energy to keep the settings when changing batteries. My question is this, could one connect a small rechargeable battery to the cap like with a "normal RTC"? If so, where is the capacitor located. (a hint perhaps Mr MW?) I know that this is most likely not practical, but I am curious and would like to know these sort of things. 

On the software side of things: how does one check what graphics drivers are installed? Currently running Zaxxon 1.60RC on an 64GB sdxc and have done sudo opkg update and opkg upgrade.

Have read http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12233-sgx-driver-installer-beta/ and http://pandorawiki.org/SGX_drivers as well as http://pandoralive.info/?p=2303 but could not find hints to check what version is installed. 

cat /proc/pvr/version prints version 1.4.14.2514 (release), System Version String: SGX revision - 1.2.5

dmesg | grep sgx prints "OMAP3630 ES1.2 (l2cache iva neon isp 192mhz_clk)" and dmesg | grep SGX prints "SGX clock rate 200MHz".

Then opkg list ti-* lists amongst a heap of other things ti-codecs-omap3530-dev_4_00_00_00-r28a.5_omap3-pandora.ipk. Does this have anything to do with the driver version? I looked on the TI website but am now quite confused. 

Any hints or RTFM (possibly with a link or info where to find the TFM to R it) would be most helpful and rooooooolly rooooooolly appreciated!

Regards

Crawford 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea what U32 is for, but it seems to be wired in to U30, which has a label on it I'm not able to read.  That in turn is linked to Q5 (again, text too small to read) and I *think* to the volume control, so I think it would have something to do with audio.  All the other connections seem to go to internal layers though, so there may be more to it.

No idea about the RTC.  There are a number of caps on the board, but I've no idea what any of them do.

I'm struggling a bit with the SGX driver version.  You can look at it yourself by running Notaz' installer then, while it's still running, looking at /mnt/utmp/sgx_driver_installer/main.sh, which is the zenity script that does the installation.  It's a bit of a monster, but I've noticed that the files in /usr/lib/ES5.0/lib have the part of the version after the underscore in their filenames, after the .so.  That doesn't help much as a lot of the options share that part of the version, but have a different version before the underscore.  It may be that it's not possible to reverse engineer which version you have installed after the installer has run, but I haven't explored all the things the installer does, and I've pretty much given up.

Edit: Seems 'the bit after the underscore' is better known as the SGX DDX version, according to the wiki page you linked.  But it's still the case that there are multiple TI versions for the same SGX DDX version, so identifying the former is difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any hints or RTFM (possibly with a link or info where to find the TFM to R it) would be most helpful and rooooooolly rooooooolly appreciated!
Hi & Welcome,

Have you tried the wiki

Can't help with the other stuff sorry, not much use but I've seen the graphics driver question being asked before but not being answered.

Gentlemen,

thank you for the replies, I think I'll have to find my stereomicroscope and have a closer look at the board. Levi, good idea to take a peek into the installer. Unfortunately I don't have cooking clue about coding so the scripts and stuff may as well have been written in Linear B...

Mr_Loon, yes I've been reading the wiki, and it has been most instructive! I found the USB section very useful in getting the right hub to enable me to use USBv1 devices like logitech G5 mouse (an oldie I know, but still a goldie!) and my Logitech G15 v1 keyboard. I even got my generic usb-serial cable working but just plugging it into the hub and enabling the USB-networking option. (It loaded the pl2303 module and made the port available at /dev/USB0).

At the risk of sounding like a pandora fanboi, this thing seriously kicks ass!

regards

Crawford

Regarding U32, it may be worth noting that this spot, as well as the four solder pads to the left above the 'R7' label, the four solder pads curved around U30 and the two bare pads labelled 'INT1' and 'INT2' aren't present on the Rev 5A board, dated Sep '09. It's there on my Rev 5D board, dated Aug '11, thus it might be reasonable to assume it appeared when the production moved from Texas to Germany.

Note my previous assertion that the pads labelled 'U32' are connected to U30 may be wrong. On closer inspection, the lines that appear to connect the two together actually disappear to a middle layer rather than directly connecting the two. It still seems likely it's audio related, but these 'INT' labels seem to suggest something more test related to me. No idea, really.

Back