Release Date

greendots said:
The way that OP is handling things right now I wouldn't put much hope in getting it before Christmas. Its just another optimistic goal that one of the devs (this time Craigix,) spits out to keep us happy for a little while.
He may be fooling himself as well.

Either way it's got to be a terrible blow to his company's credibility. It makes you wonder if he's consistently and badly wrong about this, what else is he wrong about?

Last edited by a moderator:
fischju2000 said:
There has been a lot of activity lately, we should also be seeing pictures of production Pandoras soon enough, if the company will take them.

Offtopic:
[quote name='carlgeorge' ]
If computer games affected us as children we would all be running around darkened rooms munching pills while listening to monotonous music.

That's exactly what people do today. Never been to a rave?
[/quote]

I believe the appropriate term for this response is "Whoosh"

Well, this time around even us other-devs (those of us working on the software side of it) are even thinking its coming relatively soon. We're holding our breath as much as everyone, but we're also working our tails off to get the OS put together nicely. The problem I'm guessing has been that as this sort of process is new to the core-devs, they just don't know what the future steps are/time-to-complete, so its a case of over or under-estimate. That said, at last the end of the tunnel _is_ coming, as theres certainly less unknowns head now, than there was a year or more back.

jeff

Part of the problem they give what they believe to be the CORRECT estimate, without saying well let's just add 50-100%, especially as it's something they've never done before. Better that than under estimate constantly.
Not moaning, just saying a big problem has been in their ability to estimate.
Something I'm only learning myself and I've been a developer for longer than I'd like to remember hahaha

borgqueenx said:
Seriously....The damn date is being pushes forwards for about 6 months now. I still dont see a real end of the tunnel.

Ahh, if only! We had a "fairly firm" November delivery estimate for last year, with "shifting Heaven and Earth" type attitude to get Pandora shipped before Christmas (2008). So the date being pushed back has been going on for at least a year since preorders started (and there were teases and delays long before that).

VRAndy said:
Either way it's got to be a terrible blow to his company's credibility. It makes you wonder if he's consistently and badly wrong about this, what else is he wrong about?

With the 30-day game having not been released still not being released 7 months after it started, and the iPhone control thingy - iControlPad is it? - having undergone what looks like a severe redesign (using Pandora controls and being MUCH larger than earlier prototypes) there seem to be some detectable themes.

We have 6 weeks and 3 days until Christmas.

1. The Pandoras' boards are not manufactured yet.
  2. The Pandoras' boards have not been tested yet (if this step is required).
  3. The Pandoras' case moulds are not (fully) finalised yet.
  4. The Pandoras are not assembled yet.
  5. The Pandoras' firmware/software is not finalised yet.
  6. We're assuming there are no more hardware/software issues (drivers) to be sorted yet.
  7. The Pandoras' firmware/software has not been installed onto the NAND chips yet.
  8. The Pandoras have not been boxed yet.
  9. The Pandoras have not begun shipping to countries yet.
  10. The Pandoras have not begun shipping to homes yet.
The team have about 5 weeks before holidays. I'm thinking the chance of getting a Pandora before 2010 is pretty darn low.

This post only make me want to cancell my order. I don't want to, i want a pandora, but i want it now, not in 2 months.

Im worried about 1 point, if pandora isnt' released at december ( probably won't ) many, many people will cancell their orders, so, it's possible that OP team comes to bankrupt?

guizm said:
This post only make me want to cancell my order. I don't want to, i want a pandora, but i want it now, not in 2 months.

Im worried about 1 point, if pandora isnt' released at december ( probably won't ) many, many people will cancell their orders, so, it's possible that OP team comes to bankrupt?

i doubt it, theyve probably paid for most of the production now.

gibberish said:
Then they will definitely go bankrupt. If people request refunds, and they cannot give them, then they will be forced to declare bankruptcy to avoid lawsuits.

WizardStan said:
gibberish said:
Then they will definitely go bankrupt. If people request refunds, and they cannot give them, then they will be forced to declare bankruptcy to avoid lawsuits.
I dont think when all the paying is done, they would be stopped by bankruptcy. They just ship everything out as a "free gift" to those who paid the company.
And because they paid all pandora parts will arrive some day, ready to be put together and to be shipped.

WizardStan said:
gibberish said:

But don't you need a legal document like a receipt to show for the actual purchase to make a valid lawsuit? As far as I'm concerned, everyone that paid pretty much just 'gave' OP their money in hopes of getting a console. (This, of course, never crossed my mind.)

EDIT: P.S. - November's days seem to be slipping by... :*(

MrBlais said:
But don't you need a legal document like a receipt to show for the actual purchase to make a valid lawsuit? As far as I'm concerned, everyone that paid pretty much just 'gave' OP their money in hopes of getting a console. (This, of course, never crossed my mind.)

And that's why PayPal and the credit card companies weren't very happy about the Pandora orders. Possibly the bank too. Not having a quick and obvious legal standing is exactly what they don't want when thousands of people start wanting their money back.

Pleng said:
greendots said:
The only thing that would make me feel better about the situation right now is real numbers and dates.

27 March 1984
13/08/2007
15/12/2421

...sorry! :p

loooool !

and just to depress greendots a little:

1+i*sqrt(2)
sqrt(-3.5)

MrBlais said:

If believe that the judges will accept the email-conversations as proof nowadays.

i paid via google checkout, so i would count it as a receipt
since all the items are listed

>The Pandoras' boards are not manufactured yet.

Yes they are. I think you mean the Population isn't complete

>The Pandoras' boards have not been tested yet (if this step is required).

Testing the boards is rather like that stuff you see when mame games boot up, that's how long it takes per board.

>The Pandoras' case moulds are not (fully) finalised yet.

This isn't an issue at the moment, we will still have them before we need them.

>The Pandoras are not assembled yet.

That starts at the end of the month. It's the last step and will happen as they ship.

>The Pandoras' firmware/software is not finalised yet.

Well by definition it never will be as we will continue to update it. But everything currently works, you can see that in videos going back months.

>We're assuming there are no more hardware/software issues (drivers) to be sorted yet.

What have you not seen working?

>The Pandoras' firmware/software has not been installed onto the NAND chips yet.

That happens during that board test.

>The Pandoras have not been boxed yet.

There is no box.

The things you list are all just assembly and tends to happen all at once in the same place.

You are just breaking it down more and more, but there is actually less and less to do.

If you wrote this list 1 year ago it would be summarised as '1) assembly'.

I have no doubt they will be assembled and shipped and then the fun can begin.

Also, as I keep saying, our financial situation is good, we have given many refunds over the last year with no issues at all. This project does not have any debts and is privately funded outside the orders. That is one of the best things about it.

DroneB Dev said:
i paid via google checkout, so i would count it as a receipt
since all the items are listed

I think you'd be quite right, at least in UK law and it's where the company is registered that matters in this context, correct? For example, OpenPandora Ltd. would have to comply with the EU Distance Selling Regulations and the Sale of Goods Act 1979, to name a few consumer protection laws.

Back