Gotta prove something, cmere.

downsider002

Still Fresh
Well I was asking my Dad if I can order one in this first batch for Christmas, and he said

"Well, I know how companies like this work! They will definitely get another batch out by Christmas, no need to decide now."

:twisted:

Help support my argument, I'm already paying for half. =)

Because the pre-ordered Pandoras haven't been made yet. And will likely only be finished and arrive just in time for Christmas. So a second batch won't be done by then, plus the second batch could be delayed further due to availability of the various components.

This is really not going to happen, they already asked their manufactuarer to increase the consoles produced, which makes it even less likely. They will start producing them very soon, and when that happens there is no TIME to setup a second batch. between product testing, working things out with the factories, and other issues

Think about it this way, your gift will not only be a pandora (two months later), but also a big "in your face" and maybe some guilt ridden additional presents

Thanks guys, this should suffice, but something from the big Craig himself would help, if possible of course.

:lol:

downsider002 said:
Well I was asking my Dad if I can order one in this first batch for Christmas, and he said

"Well, I know how companies like this work! They will definitely get another batch out by Christmas, no need to decide now."

There isn't anything typical about this company and most of that is for the better. They have been very forthright about everything that has been going with Pandora so far. If they say that there isn't going to be another batch until after 2009 then there won't be.

downsider002 said:
Thanks guys, this should suffice, but something from the big Craig himself would help, if possible of course.

:lol:

Yeah, it's on the OpenPandora home page. :)

Yeah, I had to use the exact same argument.
And it worked! (Granted I have to pay for the thing but still I at least got to order one.)

Ashwin said:
Yeah, I had to use the exact same argument.
And it worked! (Granted I have to pay for the thing but still I at least got to order one.)
Sweet, see you on launch day =D

downsider002 said:
There is one very simple argument: the supply will meet demand - they are producing only as many, as many were ordered until sunday. They are not expecting any more demand until second batch. And second batch will be *after* the first one is finished. And it is impossible that manufacturing will be faster than expected. Therefore it is impossible that second batch will be before christmas.

More than 3000 people have preordered already based just on the strength of the reputations of the people involved and the youtube videos showing the preproduction hardware doing what they do. So if you assume at the very least that there are no massive hardware breakdowns during the production of the first few thousand units there shouldnt be a single problem to worry about!

Man I wish I had a dad like yours when I was growing up. I never got an allowance "because the real world isn't like that" and if I needed money I needed to work for it. <_< Fair enough, but in order to do that, I had to go above and beyond what was normally expected of me anyway, and even then all I'd get is something ridiculous - like a quarter for an afternoon of raking leaves. "Don't spend it all in one place, son." :lol:

I still remember working in the yard for about a week to buy a 9 volt battery.

mechanizeddeath said:
Man I wish I had a dad like yours when I was growing up. I never got an allowance "because the real world isn't like that" and if I needed money I needed to work for it. <_< Fair enough, but in order to do that, I had to go above and beyond what was normally expected of me anyway, and even then all I'd get is something ridiculous - like a quarter for an afternoon of raking leaves. "Don't spend it all in one place, son." :lol:

while i do think that a parent giving a child huge amounts of money like that is ridiculous, that was quite a bit of an "10 miles, in the snow, uphill, both ways" story

downsider002 said:

Oi! downsider's Dad! Stop being a tightwad, stump up the cash and get your kid's Pandora, otherwise you are guilty of mental cruelty and stunting their development. At least until March 2009.

Will that do?

hey, its not as bad as the kid who was using EMA (for those who don't know, it's an "allowance" poor kids get for going to school. it is meant to be used to help support your family and your schooling.) to buy the pandora.

Don't they have some regulations on what you have to spend it on?

Don't be daft. The government really don't care as long as you are not registered as unemployed and ruining their statistics.

PoisonedV said:
while i do think that a parent giving a child huge amounts of money like that is ridiculous, that was quite a bit of an "10 miles, in the snow, uphill, both ways" story

Indeed. I just see it as one more goofy thing about my past I can laugh about though, and I've got hundreds.

I still help my dad with things from time to time, and sometimes when I'm done I'll ask him "Alright, where's my quarter?" He just laughs. ^_^

Edit: Forgot to mention that for those of you who need to prove something to an allowance giver, the capabilities of the Pandora may not speak for themselves on paper, but once you're showing it off you should have no trouble justifying the purchase to an allowance giver. :D

mechanizeddeath said:

You had a rake!? Luxury! The best I could manage was a rolled up newspaper.

Back