Quick update and summary

Idea 5. (developing @Grench's router remark) The board should have three or more ethernet or SFP ports, which are wired directly to the SoCs ethernet interfaces, of which it hopefully has at least three.
I'm actually looking for a router. Turris Omnia peeks my interest, but the switch chip between the SoC and the mechanical ports annoys me - if only it could do link aggregation. And then I'm not eager to pay for the WiFi-mPCIe-cards, it comes preinstalled with - makes it a bit more expensive than what I was going to invest.
Then my gaze fell upon SolidRun's ClearFog Base with enclosure - $145 at their shop, but additional $40 for the only shipping option UPS. That brings it over the threshold for customs fee (€150), which applies before 19% import tax, which makes it much more expansive than $145. I'm kinda at an impass. Anyone commuting Israel-Berlin a lot? :)

You might want to look at a Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X or Edgerouter-X SFP - Wikidevi - not sure if it meets your needs re: switching, or indeed throughput, but I'm quite tempted. I too have looked at the ClearFog. I'm looking for something I can use as a Firewall that has multiple GigE LANS, so I can physically isolate some semi-trusted bits of kit and wire up some switches to provide coverage that WiFi won't through some almost completely radio-opaque walls. Of course, I want it to be cheap, run open software, not require fans for cooling, cope with GigE, and not use too much power.Such things don't quite exist, yet.

@Confuzzled Yeah, my requirements sound quite similar. I'll use a managed switch with more than enough ports to do the intranets separation. I want some link aggregation between the router's SoC and the dedicated switch to make kinda sure the bottleneck sits with the router, so only the latter will handle it, and to be able to route traffic between vlans through its firewall without much impact on internet traffic.
And, I want to have some queue management in place. According to openWRT's forums there's quite some compute power needed for that, which also scales nicely with the targeted bandwidth. And since I'd like to be set for a longer while (higher bandwidths provided by ISPs), I'd discard the Edgerouters.
I'd still prefer the ClearFog Base, but for better purchasebility I'm leaning towards PC Engine's apu4c4, for now. Don't know, if I need 4 GB of RAM in my router, but when there's a variant of anything packing more RAM available, one grabs that one, right? :D

The Pyra CPU Board Based Homecomputer sounds cool, but i want my Pyra as a Handheld, so i can put it in my Pocket, and play some Tetris, or other Games on the Go, and put it at home on my TV and Keyboard/Mouse if i want it as Homecomputer..

But this CPU Board Based Homecomputer should help to make sells for the CPU Board and future CPU Boards, because more Peaple buy a new CPU Board..

The Aktuall News sounds also great, seems like whe have a lot of progress,
I wonder which i do get first: The Next GOT Book or the Pyra..

How is handled the eval board's ethernet ?
It is connected through the internal USB interface used for LTE modem in the Pyra. So it just appears as an USB LAN interface instead of an USB WWAN interface. The kernel already has everything included so that you just need to connect a cable and maybe configure /etc/network/interfaces or ifconfig.

Ah ok , the Name is
Letux LC15 EVAL
that’s short, and you know what it’s meant..

Unlike Apple:
Where are the Eggs on my Ei Phone??

If I get some time I will read the Overview

@Confuzzled Yeah, my requirements sound quite similar. I'll use a managed switch with more than enough ports to do the intranets separation. I want some link aggregation between the router's SoC and the dedicated switch to make kinda sure the bottleneck sits with the router, so only the latter will handle it, and to be able to route traffic between vlans through its firewall without much impact on internet traffic.
And, I want to have some queue management in place. According to openWRT's forums there's quite some compute power needed for that, which also scales nicely with the targeted bandwidth. And since I'd like to be set for a longer while (higher bandwidths provided by ISPs), I'd discard the Edgerouters.
I'd still prefer the ClearFog Base, but for better purchasebility I'm leaning towards PC Engine's apu4c4, for now. Don't know, if I need 4 GB of RAM in my router, but when there's a variant of anything packing more RAM available, one grabs that one, right? :D
I agree, more RAM is never a bad thing...unless we talk about the 2Gb to 4GB transition for the Pyra. That said, I have 'only' 8 Gbytes of RAM on my daily-driver PC, and my (bad) habit of leaving tabs open in Firefox means most of it is taken up by Firefox processes and Firefox 'bogs down' once more than about 80% of RAM is taken up.
We do seem to have similar wishes with regards to networking kit - I too have looked at PC Engines offerings. My Internet connection is small enough (50/50 Mbit/s) that an Edgerouter-X would probably be good enough to deal with it. On the other hand, moving 'stuff' around on my local LAN needs Gigabit speeds - I routinely saturate the 100 Mbit/s link I have to one of my NAS devices, so finding one or several inexpensive Gbit switches that can cope with VLANs and VLAN trunking without acting as space heaters would be good. I would like them to be manageable, and have FLOSS software too.
My emphasis on low electrical power usage is not because I am particularly 'green', but cold hard economics. I pay a lot for electricity, so saving a few Watts over the expected lifetime of the device produces respectable cost savings - I will pay more in up-front costs for low power-draw devices. To use a made up example - assume my electricity cost is 20 US cents per kilowatt-hour. If I buy a device that draws 50 Watts and leave it on permanently for 3 years, that's $263. If it draws only 25 Watts, that's $131 saved, so if I spend less than $131 extra on the device I do better. If the device lasts longer than 3 years, I do better, and if electricity prices go up, I do better. An accountant would point out that higher running costs can be worthwhile if they reduce the initial capital expenditure needed, as the capital might be more usefully employed elsewhere (such as investing it in high-yielding investments), but as I'm not dealing in 100s of thousands of dollars, I'm happy to go with my approach - I'm happy to pay a reasonable amount more for lower-power draw devices that meet my performance needs. Facebook and Google do the same in their data-centre calculations.
A long reply to your posting. I hope you (and other readers) don't mind.

@Confuzzled Me don't mind.
I wasn't aiming for FOSS in the switch and ordered an SG350-20. What I like is, that there's the option turn off the port LEDs. They put it there for power savings, I like it for I'll put my head next to where the switch will be during sleep. The SG350-10 goes for 125€ here in Germany, last I checked.

Not sure if it is an option provided by PaleMoon/Firefox or if it came with TabMixPlus (no good for FF-users for now, I guess), but I have the option to have tabs only loaded, when I give 'em focus the first time(, if we're talking safed sessions).

From my understanding "PyraOS" is Letux, so you can
It for sure uses the Letux kernel, although aTc has to enable a few extras like AUFS for the DBP system to work and such. I believe hns has his own LetuxOS, but this is different than PyraOS as aTc manages that. Although It just boils down to being just some flavo(u)r of Debian.

Back