Pyra news partially stale from the dragon's mouth

USA will have 5G by 2021 so I am afraid all in USA will have a very little time to play with their pyras only if ????

5G is not a replacement for 4G. 5G has half the coverage (so you need a lot more cell towers) and the bandwidth of 4G isn't really used at the moment anyways.

5G is useful for low-power IoT devices, as the power consumption is a lot lower.

So I doubt companies will switch off 4G anytime soon. It wouldn't make any sense.

And voice conversations are still better (more stable, less delay) under 3G. 4G is able to pack more calls to a single tower by essentially building in a VOIP delay and flinging packets. 5G should shorten the delay a bit, but will likely suffer more packet loss.

The place where 5G -might- make a substantive impact is in home internet service for the lucky few who happen to live within range of a tower - though you might have to put a small Yagi on the roof. But I'd love to see -anything- offer competition to my local cable monopoly that charges me $97 per month for 30Mb down and 10Mb up connectivity.

Speaking of which, people were panic buying bum paper in my local supermarket; literally all the toilet paper and all the red meat were sold out... guess kitchen towel paper is a second option... let's not get into third and fourth options...

And voice conversations are still better (more stable, less delay) under 3G. 4G is able to pack more calls to a single tower by essentially building in a VOIP delay and flinging packets. 5G should shorten the delay a bit, but will likely suffer more packet loss.
4G doesn't do any circuit switching so a standard audio phone call over it isn't possible. That's why VOLTE is essentially VOIP (voice over IP (internet protocol)) over a packet network. I'd be surprised if the delay in VOLTE is down to the network itself and not more down to the cost of the encoding and decoding, but what do I know about telephony these days?

5G is not a replacement for 4G. 5G has half the coverage (so you need a lot more cell towers)

This is correct for now. As in europe telecom companys used first available 5G hardware and empty frequencys in 3,5Ghz.

This is for sure the shortest coverage but nice in thoughput. But as long as it is build only in a few locations you can't have a real advantage from a dozend site national wide. Compared to 20k for each provider.

But in germany everything is preparing a rollout of 5G in 700Mhz frequenzy, which will cover a lot more area. And companys don't need to build new sites or new radios like they had with 3,5Ghz. They can use existing equipment and may only need to do some adjustments on site (like install a proper timing signal to node) to switch on 5G on 4G radios.

When this happens, you will have a nice coverage of 5G quite fast.

But still, the advantage of 5G will come in the next years. Currently non of the 5G phone are using it smooth. And only double thoughput is nothing compared to multiple carriers in 4G at same time.
So in germany you can reach >1Gb/s in only 4G

Shure its not that good that whe dotnt have this new fancy 5G on Pyra, but i think for most of our Tasks, 4G Full Speed should be quite fast too,
I know from the Pandora, there was a Member of the German Boards who only had a 56 k Modem, so 4G is still much much faster than this..

Also: The Pyra Screen isnt that big, so you wouldnt need to watch your Netflix in 4k ..

But as long there is not even full 4G Support in Germany, i think 5G is something you dotnt need on Pyra

The place where 5G -might- make a substantive impact is in home internet service for the lucky few who happen to live within range of a tower - though you might have to put a small Yagi on the roof. But I'd love to see -anything- offer competition to my local cable monopoly that charges me $97 per month for 30Mb down and 10Mb up connectivity.
We're paying that for about 3-7Mb down (it's supposed to be 15Mb) and about 1Mb up

Speaking of which, people were panic buying bum paper in my local supermarket; literally all the toilet paper and all the red meat were sold out... guess kitchen towel paper is a second option... let's not get into third and fourth options...
Meat is the last thing people should be consuming in a virus epidemic; meat only makes the body weaker and more susceptible to viruses. People are even stocking in things like coke along with toilet paper; it's sad how little people generally know about health. It's no wonder that almost no one gets old enough to die a natural death anymore. Instead they'll die from self-made diseases like heart attacks and cancer. It's also no wonder that people are very scared by this epidemic. Combine their ignorance of health with their faith in the media which is overblowing the death rates and never seems to tell who died —as if it does not matter if it was a healthy 20 year old or an obese 80 year old— and we've got a global panic and people worldwide fighting over toilet paper. All it took to trigger it were just a few news messages. It's sad how after many decades of propaganda and dumbing down people have reached this low-point where they're basically a bewildered herd of morons ready to go on a frenzied scare-driven stampede by the first clap they hear.

But that's just my opinion. I won't be joining the frenzied toilet paper rush anytime soon.

Meat is the last thing people should be consuming in a virus epidemic; meat only makes the body weaker and more susceptible to viruses. People are even stocking in things like coke along with toilet paper; it's sad how little people generally know about health. It's no wonder that almost no one gets old enough to die a natural death anymore. Instead they'll die from self-made diseases like heart attacks and cancer. It's also no wonder that people are very scared by this epidemic. Combine their ignorance of health with their faith in the media which is overblowing the death rates and never seems to tell who died —as if it does not matter if it was a healthy 20 year old or an obese 80 year old— and we've got a global panic and people worldwide fighting over toilet paper. All it took to trigger it were just a few news messages. It's sad how after many decades of propaganda and dumbing down people have reached this low-point where they're basically a bewildered herd of morons ready to go on a frenzied scare-driven stampede by the first clap they hear.

But that's just my opinion. I won't be joining the frenzied toilet paper rush anytime soon.

It's no wonder that almost no one gets old enough to die a natural death anymore. Instead they'll die from self-made diseases like heart attacks and cancer.
So my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is that if you live long enough you are guaranteed to get cancer. Cancer mainly comes from damaged DNA, and that damage can happen from either external or internal sources. As you age the protein strands protecting your chromosomes (telomeres) deteriorates and damage starts to form. The "programmed death" in your genetic coding. The closest thing to 'natural death' I've ever heard of. Live long enough and you will die of cancer.

The idea of "Natural death" back once upon a time used to be the gatekeepers of their time, things they may not have understood the cause or the prevention of. Things modern medicine and science has significantly reduced the likelihood of or have directly identified the cause of. Yes we die of self made illnesses and "preventable deaths" more now because of 2 main reasons. One we know through science what attributes to those diseases and how to prevent them. Two, those previous gatekeepers (whatever is identified as leading causes back whenever) have been removed and now we are faced with a new set of gatekeepers. You remove those and a new one will take it's place. That's actually the concept I'm painting here. The graph distribution below will probably always look very similar regardless of what is in each category.

Major reasons for death today being heart disease and stroke. Say you ate more healthy and eliminate dietary causes, lung disease and cancer become the leaders potentially, possibly preventable if you reduce air pollutions and stop smoking. Say you prevented those as well, lets say Alzheimer's now becomes the leading cause of death worldwide. Some say that's preventable, now it comes down to infections and car accidents. You can keep going down the list. Something is eventually going to be the gate keeper, someone is going to identify the cause and push to solve that problem and criticize those that are doing the things that could prevent that type of death. The average life expectancy increases across the board as it has since we started recording reasons for death throughout history and we keep pushing to the next preventable death. I can imagine once upon a time, a similar conversation was being had about how not to go out of the trees because eaten by lions was the leading preventable death of it's time.

There is no 'dieing of old age'... that's not scientific, science says you died of something on the list of major causes, science also says that reason is possibly preventable or much effort is in to identify the cause and find a way of preventing it. 'Natural death' is not on the list, death by 'old age' doesn't exist.

Last edited:
@SNESFAN Grim but true. The most identifiable 'risk factor' associated with 'complications' resulting in the top 6 causes of death, though, is age. Age is not the direct cause that turns off the switch, but it does put a heavy thumb on the scales of survival.

So my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is that if you live long enough you are guaranteed to get cancer. Cancer mainly comes from damaged DNA, and that damage can happen from either external or internal sources. As you age the protein strands protecting your chromosomes (telomeres) deteriorates and damage starts to form. The "programmed death" in your genetic coding. The closest thing to 'natural death' I've ever heard of. Live long enough and you will die of cancer.
So then smoking or eating yourself to a cancerous early death is considered a natural death. Using that definition of of "natural death" people die of self-made natural deaths.

So then smoking or eating yourself to a cancerous early death is considered a natural death. Using that definition of of "natural death" people die of self-made natural deaths.
I don't disagree that people are actively contributing to their own demise, and that specific cause could be avoided. However something's gonna get ya eventually.

The concept I'm sure most people hope for of "dieing in their sleep" at the ripe old age of whatever, with the cause of death of "they were just old" is not telling the whole story. Something made the old ticker quit ticking.

However something's gonna get ya eventually.
IMO the longer I live the better it is. Having to die eventually does not change that for me.

The concept I'm sure most people hope for of "dieing in their sleep" at the ripe old age of whatever, with the cause of death of "they were just old" is not telling the whole story. Something made the old ticker quit ticking.
With "natural death" I just meant the latest possible death as opposed to the avoidable earlier deaths that most people die. Anything else you might have read into it was not what I meant. I do not know how natural death works, actually. My cat seems to have died a natural death and she just died on night. She may have seen it coming the day before but other than that she was healthy up to her death. Maybe she had cancer somewhere, we did not get an autopsy. Though it did seem pretty magical, I admit.

BTW I am starting to get hungry for more news!
Unfortunately in the main the news is just more people getting ill and dying. The chinese have unlocked wuhan since last night I think it was so they at least think they're over the worst of it, although it remains to be seen whether that'll create a second spike of infections or not. We're still waiting for an antibody test that could at the very least indicate how many people have actually had this.

Back