Release public beta test

OK :)

At the moment it looks to me like an app with one 5-star-vote would be placed before an app with ten 5-star-votes and one 4-star-vote. Wouldn't it be better to set a minimum vote limit like 5 or so? That wouldn't be completly fair as well, but it would come

And what about something like "weekly charts"? In the future a genius app will disappear pretty fast from the front page. Would be nice if I could configure my frontpage, and the "All" view as well, so that just apps from the last month, week ... get displayed. This is no need, just wanted to make the suggestion.

Is there any way to _delete_ my vote yet?

Also, I find it a bit confusing that the overall rating is up-left and I place my vote down-right. Why not do this like all the musicplayers do it? The users rates on the same stars that show the overall result, which is displayed as blue background whilst his vote is yellow above the average with a little transparency?

...anyway, looks like the 10k are going to break the next days. Congrats and Thank You for your great repo B)

So, the 10.000 got covered a second ago :) Congrats, great work!!!

Any thoughts on my points above, milkshake?

WOOO HOOO 10000 app downloads :) this is good news.

@Scntrblob yes I will be massing with the layout soon, so at that point I can change the stars to allow votes aswell as to show rating.

not too sure about a minimum rating system, though what u mention does sound like it needs addressing, what do others think?

@Scntrblob yes I will be massing with the layout soon, so at that point I can change the stars to allow votes aswell as to show rating.

As mentioned a while ago, the reported size of the layout it wrong, it seems to have a neverending width. Opera Mini shows it as tiny tiny screen in the top left corner :)

Really strange behaviour here...

I start a download, but then if I click on "Home" or the "Back" button in firefox the page doesn't react until the download is finished. Even more strange, after the download is finished and I already clicked on "Home" before[EDIT: It even happens if I click home after the download finished], it offers me to download a file called somechars.bin.part, that has the same size as the .pnd downloaded before....

EDIT2: And if an app has no icon, the appname gets displayed on the space where the icon should be and the date overlaps with the name. See ZXPandy: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&subcat=Emulator&s=new

this should be fixed now.

Yeah, I can leave the page now after the download started, but after it finished and I click "Back" or "Home"(...thats what I tried) it still offers me to download another file.

Anyway thanks, things are progressing :)

At the moment it looks to me like an app with one 5-star-vote would be placed before an app with ten 5-star-votes and one 4-star-vote. Wouldn't it be better to set a minimum vote limit like 5 or so?
I do understand your wish, but that's what voting is for. If you don't want to see an app that high above you can downgrade the one-5 star app with your vote easily.

A minimum of 5 votes limitation will knock the unvoted apps out of competion. Maybe a default vote with three stars added to new releases could match fairness a little bit better. But as said before, just vote. B)

Really strange behaviour here...

I start a download, but then if I click on "Home" or the "Back" button in firefox the page doesn't react until the download is finished. Even more strange, after the download is finished and I already clicked on "Home" before[EDIT: It even happens if I click home after the download finished], it offers me to download a file called somechars.bin.part, that has the same size as the .pnd downloaded before....

EDIT2: And if an app has no icon, the appname gets displayed on the space where the icon should be and the date overlaps with the name. See ZXPandy: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&subcat=Emulator&s=new

I cant reproduce this error in chrome, ill try firefox

EDIT:

cant reproduce in firefox either :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that it happened at least some time ago, I think it might be when the server is overloaded or something like that. It loaded quite slow at the time when this happened too.

I cant reproduce this error in chrome, ill try firefox

EDIT:

Mmh, did I describe it right?

1. Download a file.

2. After that finished, click on Home

3. Download offer appears.

Also, I am not logged in. Maybe it's that?

EDIT: Happens under linux as well.

Mmh, did I describe it right?

1. Download a file.

2. After that finished, click on Home

3. Download offer appears.

Also, I am not logged in. Maybe it's that?

EDIT: Happens under linux as well.

followed ur instructions to the letter, I even deleted all cookies and reloaded the page to make sure before downloading.

not too sure about a minimum rating system, though what u mention does sound like it needs addressing, what do others think?

Could the described problem be solved by scoring apps per vote rather than averaging? eg. for 5 stars to 1 star give +2 to -2 points. This way the most popular apps stay at the top. Unrated apps would be at the bottom. Also if you kept something like a monthly sum for each, you could have "Highest rated in the last month" view. These would probably solve both issues.

followed ur instructions to the letter, I even deleted all cookies and reloaded the page to make sure before downloading.

Hrrmpf. I downloaded UrQuanMasters and whilst I donwloaded I clicked around on the side and switched tabs. Result: it didn't happen. Then I downloaded PNDStore,did nothing whilst downloading, clicked Home. Result: It did happen.

I'm testing a deeper later. I think it will be reproducable somehow.

Could the described problem be solved by scoring apps per vote rather than averaging? eg. for 5 stars to 1 star give +2 to -2 points. This way the most popular apps stay at the top. Unrated apps would be at the bottom. Also if you kept something like a monthly sum for each, you could have "Highest rated in the last month" view. These would probably solve both issues.

That's what I'd find good as well. Monthly/weekly charts and ratings based on points.

Would it be possible including older versions of apps as well?
this could be done...
Even if it's stable, sometimes users want to downgrade again for whatever reason
That's a point i would like to use for another little annoying thing with the PND handling in general.

Where does the user put his downloads to? Into a directory, visible by folders and filenames.

Actually, i have a lot of PNDs (~160) prepared, updating with new releases weekly. Let's say there is a new version of a PND, i start the download and bang! file already exist, would you like to overwrite it? No, i don't. I have to rename the pnd for every update if i would like to hold the old version for a reason. (e.g. game compatibility issues of emulators).

How to rename? Adding the version number to the PND is a nice idea. Where do i get the version number? With the download window open i have to search the website for the version number, which is a little bit fiddly. I could rename it to PND-1, PND-2, but then i don't see the versions if i clean up the /pandora/ directories. Actually i am lazy and add the date of the download to the pnd-filename by hand.

Now i've seen this: anki-1.2.8-drack2.pnd, anki-1.2.8-drack3.pnd. That is great! A PND with the version number already in its name. This is for easy identification if i want to get rid of an old version. But the publishers using this naming style for their PNDs are less than 10% of all.

As far as i understood the PND system, a PND can have any name and will work the same way because all informations are taken out of the pxml files. So how about getting rid of the manual renaming work and attach the version number or the date to the filenames by the repo?

It would be nice if you could think about it. Maybe there are some disadvantages i could not see...

So how about getting rid of the manual renaming work and attach the version number or the date to the filenames by the repo?

It would be nice if you could think about it. Maybe there are some disadvantages i could not see...

This used to be the method I implemented, however this was highly discouraged by devs, as they want to name the pnds themselves and not have my site rename them.

UPDATE:

ok I have implemented a way to download older versions of updated pnds, if a app has an archived version an extra button will appear alongside the "download" button named "archived". Click that to see a list of the old pnds.

the app owner and moderators do have the ability to delete any pnd in the "archived" section if need be.

also in regards to the rating column, i have now made it so a minimum of 4 votes is required before a rank is given, which stops apps with just one 5 star rating becoming in the top 10.

also my site now has a lightbox for viewing pics (if javascript is enabled of course).

and a few other small changes like auto redirect after comments etc

Archived versions don't seem to be working quite right. When I updated PNDstore earlier today, there were several errors shown regarding file copying (I didn't think to note the error message, unfortunately), and it doesn't yet show any archived versions available. Also, when trying to download version 1.0.1.1 of Super Geometry Dust, it actually gives me the latest version, 1.0.2.1.

Archived versions don't seem to be working quite right. When I updated PNDstore earlier today, there were several errors shown regarding file copying (I didn't think to note the error message, unfortunately), and it doesn't yet show any archived versions available. Also, when trying to download version 1.0.1.1 of Super Geometry Dust, it actually gives me the latest version, 1.0.2.1.

strange... ill have to look into this tonight.

ok I made a few changes could you please test and let paste me any errors?

thanks

I just updated PNDstore again. After first uploading, when it asks if I want to replace the old version, these errors appear:

Code:
Notice: Undefined variable: license_array in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/class/pxml_to_array.php on line 370

Notice: Undefined variable: array in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/class/dB.php on line 148

After telling it to continue, these errors appear:

Code:
Notice: Undefined variable: license_array in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/class/pxml_to_array.php on line 370

Notice: Undefined variable: query_exist_apps in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/get_pnd.php on line 465

Notice: Undefined variable: query_exist_apps in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/get_pnd.php on line 492

Warning: copy() [function.copy]: The first argument to copy() function cannot be a directory in /srv/www/vhosts/repo.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/get_pnd.php on line 492

The new version uploads correctly, but still no archived versions are available.

Hi Milkshake, I've tried to get more people to rate / give comments for downloaded Pandora software in this thread.

The current system for comments / ratings in your repo is excellent, however I'd like to make an additional feature request :

When viewing My Downloads (under My Account) would it be possible to show which Apps you'd voted on, what score had been awarded and also allow voting / changing of votes from there?

Keep up the good work & many thanks for making the Pandora that little bit more awesome.

Back