Release ScummVM 1.7.0 Preview Build

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Hi All,

I finally got around to releasing a set of ScummVM testing/preview builds for all the current ScummVM backends I maintain (OpenPandora, GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo).

You can grab the PND from my site and I would appreciate any feedback from testing as the build will form the basis of the upcoming official 1.7.0 release in the near future.

Comments to this thread, my site or the ScummVM forums please.

Bug fixes and patches to the ScummVM tracker or GIThub :) .

Oh, and please don't mirror these test builds or upload the PND to the repo.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks djwillis, I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: So far so good, launched the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, Leisure Suit Larry 6.. Sam and Max.. haven't done extensive testing though.. when I get time I'll try a few of the new games that 1.70 enables.

Sad to see ScummVM still not supporting Jordan Mechner's brilliant The Last Express. http://www.gog.com/game/last_express_the
As you no doubt realise everyone working on ScummVM does it for fun ;) . Feel free to get stuck into helping with the outstanding tasks on the engine to improve Last Express support http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Lastexpress/TODO if you want to see it in a released ScummVM at some point.

Having done a little work on the engine it is a lot of work and pain to get into a state that is usable and requires a lot of time, as it stands no main developer is working on it in a major way.

Any chance of doing a build with Mohawk support? I'm kinda curious about mohawk
I'll build the non-release engines up later and add an archive you can have a mess with.

Had some time to test it:

• Monkey Island 1+2, Simon the Sorcerer 1+2, Police Quest 1 (+VGA), Borken Sword 1, Benaeth a steel sky, Woodruff and the schnibble of Azimuth, seem to work fine (loaded several savegames throughout the game for each)
  • Lure of the Temptress still has a bug while saving and loading > While saving and loading actually works fine (as far as I can tell), the error message still pops up
  • Return to Ringworld: Intro now works (has slightly distorted music), game does not crash while starting the "outpost cardgame" anymore, played not much into the game, but seems playable so far. Loading saves from previous versions does not work though (but did not expect that). Only problem I have is that I'm stuck as soon as the terminal produces something (like food), I can see it, but I can't do anything (or just don't remember how anymore), no crash though, I can still use the ScummVM menu to exit the game
  • Return to Zork: Crash back to desktop immediately after starting it via the ScummVM menu
Small feature requests:
  • Currently the (X) action button opens up the ScummVM menu. Would it be possible to use the same action button to close the menu, if it is currently open ?
  • Is controlling the ScummVM menu via keyboard possible ? I'm just used to navigate through all kinds of menus via the dpad on the Pandora, so the first thing I do is trying to use the dpad, realising that this is not possible and afterwards I start using the nubs. Maybe the mouse pointer in the menu could just "hop" from one button to another with a press of up or down on the dpad, this way the action button used for left click could be used for enter/acknowledge too ?

It's still sad to see that one of the best Sierra adventure games out there, namely Rise of the Dragon, is still unsupported by ScummVM. I hope it will be, someday.

In case anyone wants to try it out, I've just done a 1.7.0 build incorporating some changes I worked on several years back. This version plays back soundtracks recorded from MT-32/Sound Canvas in place of the in-game audio with a view to offering a better alternative to Adlib. This was a project I started long before MT-32 emulation became usable and isn't something I'm working on these days but it's still potentially useful on less powerful hardware.

The pnd + soundtracks are available from my website at http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/scummvm/ . Basically, you download the game soundtrack, extract it into the game directory and this version of scummvm will pick it up and play it instead of adlib.

I must give this a go with Neverhood, thanks DJ!

Is there anyway to automatically launch the Timidity daemon when launching Scumm? Atm I have to change to xfce, and launch it from there then launch Scumm, would be great if I could do it from the Pandora launcher.

Back